FrustHatreD - Undertone

dill_the_devil

OneMetal.com Music Editor
FrustHatreD - Undertone
2001 - GWN-Europe
By Philip Whitehouse

Avaliable through Plastic Head Music Distribution - Click Here

Argh! I hate bands who are horrifically inconsistent within the same album - it means I have trouble deciding whether I should recommend them or not! FrustHatreD formed under the name Protuberance in the early nineties, but since 1997 and a line-up change, the Dutch metallers have been known under their current name. Their UK distributors cite such influences as Pantera and Machine Head, and that sounds just about right to me, especially as the vocalist seems to spend most of his time trying to decide whether to do his Phil Anselmo or Robb Flynn impression.

Unfortunately, for the most part, FrustHatreD manage to spectacularly fail to be as interesting as either of those acts. Lacking Pantera's ability to write a brutal yet criminally catchy tune or early Machine Head's tendency to dazzle with technical riffs aplenty, FrustHatreD tend to come across as derivative copyists. That is, until you hit a track like 'Ego-Trip', which sounds not entirely unlike Pantera jamming with Iron Maiden, and suggests that when it comes to writing material that's more like power metal, FrustHatreD may have an undiscovered talent. The song surges on excellent lead guitar work and a structure that takes the listener's attention by force... and then we have more of the same that we had previously. Then 'Industry' starts, and demonstrates the FrustHatreD can write catchy, brutal riffs when they try!

'Reset To Zero' then messes with the formula, starting with a little bass solo before progressing into a down-tempo, intricate passage which builds gradually into somewhat minimalistic but effective verse. This track possesses something of a hardcore vibe too, but then so did Machine Head, so that should come as no surprise.

Overall, the album is very... well... frustrating. It showcases a band who could easily be so much better if they stepped out of the shadow of their influences and experimented outside of the envelope they've carefully sealed themselves in. Until they do, I won't exactly be waiting with baited breath for the follow up to this CD.

5/10