fucking weird problem with my 7 string...

AudioPhile777

Mathew Cohen
I just recently (as in three days ago) realized that my lowest two strings have that high end treble clicky sound that basses do... wtf?!

I tried setting it up for thicker strings... same shit, lower pitched treble bass-sound...

Part of me thinks that it might be the pickups... and if that is the case, I'm might be selling these...

If anyone can help or is anyone has had a similar issue, I'm all ears at this point (all the guitar techs around me are backed up AT LEAST 2 weeks, so it would be at least that long before I got it back)...

Its an LTD F207 with EMG81-7s in it... tuned down a half step and drop d (Bb Db Ab Db Gb Bb Eb)...

well i wouldn't imagine its the pickup. im not too sure but as far as i know a passive pickup uses a magnet per string where as an active is just a plate so you wouldnt have a problem in one part of the 81's plate. not that i've ever seen before anyway!

on that note if anything i'd say its a slight amount of string buzz either on a low fret wire or on the guitar's nut. try raising up the action really high - i know you dont want to play it that high but do it anyway to find out if its fret buzz your getting. also get a soft graphite pencil (like a 3b or a 4b) and draw on the guitar nut. the graphite helps to "lube up" the nut and it always fixes up buzzing problems on my gibson.

anyone else?

I just recently (as in three days ago) realized that my lowest two strings have that high end treble clicky sound that basses do... wtf?!

Oh man, welcome to my freakin world.

Check out that EMG 707 vs 81-7 thread that was doing the rounds here earlier. A few of us with 707 loaded guitars have a ton of that clicky high-end sound.

Nobody's been able to work out what it is so far. The likeliest scenario is that the pickups are amplifying the fret buzz to a huge degree for whatever reason.

I've tried everything from a re-fret, fret dress to set-up, thicker gauge strings etc. No dice on any of them. The problem seems to be electronic in nature, even if it is amplifying acoustic sounds. I'm thinking that it could be due to bad electronics, or just inherent in the pickups themselves. Though you with the 81-7 should not be having this problem very severely, as the 707s have it much worse. Got any clips for us?

Wow, another one. I'm quite dissapointed to hear that you have it with the 81-7. I was hoping that might be my saving grace...

FWIW Dan, I've been trying the Hellraiser out with the Millennia, direct in and I haven't really noticed the clicking making its way on any of the amp sim tones I've tried (from Guitar Rig 3 to Wagner to SoCal). Don't quite know what the implications there are, but I will send some DIs for GH to reamp in the future.

Well I've always felt ampsims horridly mask differences between guitars and pickups, so that doesn't really surprise me Ermz! The real test will be re-amping those tracks you recorded...