Functional Music.

D Mullholand

[project closed]
Aug 9, 2001
Visit site
Some thoughts expressed in the 'what do you respect in music' thread have pointed my thoughts in this direction. Does music have a clear purpose ? Does music have to be Functional ?

I'll try to define Functional music here.

The first thing that comes to mind is the more empty-headed versions of dance music. With an omni-present monotonous thumping beat being the foreground component, this music has a clear purpose : it's designed to be danced to. Can it be enjoyable outside the gathering of dancers (a club, a party, etc) ? The beat becomes tedious when you listen with your full attention. Other than as a social show-off and keeping up with trends to be 'cool', does anybody listen to dance music ? I think not. The so-called 'intelligent dance music' notwithstanding, but my knowledge in that area is limited - I think the form is not the biggest problem, but the usual lack of substance in the popular specimens of dance, as well as the limitations put on by the category itself (a static, loop-beat is a necessary part, and thus limits the possibilities of expression) mostly lead towards artistic inferiority. So, dance music in general is Functional music.

Functional music is music which is valuable in a local space, but has little value outside this space - in the global musical universe. Functional music has a local purpose.

But : when we accept this definition, we can see that Functional music is not limited to dance.

Political messages in music : can they be a form of artistic expression ? Politics is always external to the artist, and this sphere does not have laws, ideas and images carved in stone. It's amorphous and constantly changes. The artist can react only to a momentary tide in politics, with a statement, usually a back-fire or knee-jerk statement. With passage of time, the message becomes obsolete, unless it's a mindless generalization ('yah yah, all government iz bad, they lie to us, freedom to tha niggaz, fuck tha police etc'). So - it fits the definition. The value of political art is localized in time and location and has no value in a different society/country or era. Political music is Functional music.

Metal. Can it be Functional ? A lot of teenagers turn to aggressive music as an embodiment of protest against parental authority and society. Some of them do it just to be 'different' - see the frequent elitism of extreme metal fanatics. Most of these people stop listening to metal and dismiss it later, they say "we have outgrown it", when they achieve a stable social status (job, family). They are ashamed of it as an adolescent indulgence. It can be argued that such people were never really into music, they only turn to the available and 'safe' forms of protest. Here is a different example. Many metal-listeners admit that they like only aggressive and evil music. They use music as an imaginary enemy on which they are projecting their hatred and frustration. They go to concerts for more of the same - with all the constant moshing and headbanging how much attention goes to the music, excepting the rhythm (a close similarity to the functionality of dance music, no ?) - is there much value in the music of Deicide or Cannibal Corpse outside the concert venues ? Can it be listened to with full attention ? An example of functionality ? Probably, yes.

(Note : the aggressive black metal concerts are a bit different story. The troo ubermenschen prefer to listen to the raging messengers of Asmodeus standing 'proudly' with crossed hands and a 'grim raven stare' on their skeletal faces. Upon seeing this, Scooby Doo stumbles and runs away into the night, howling.)

Sad and depressing music (including doom-metal). This may be more subjective on my part, but I can't force myself to take statements like "This music is the apotheosis of sadness, it should be listened to when thy beloved dumpeth thee, and do not forget the obligatory glasse of wine under a weeping willowe" seriously. I apologize if I hurt someone's feelings here. I'm not here to say that "doom sucks" (or "black/death sucks", for that matter) - My Dying Bride is one of my favourite bands, and I value heartfelt, emotional music. But I never feed my mood with music. The best music always brings a mood with itself, together with its world of images. When I'm feeling bad, I don't want to have my head beaten down with barrages of low-frequency minor chords and 'sad' word-sequences which can form an illusion of emotionality just by extensive inclusion of the words "weep", "grief", "shadows", "darkness", "loneliness" etc. I'm not really into using music to perform a Function.

The list can go on and on...

For what it's worth, even academic/classical music can be Functional. Witness how many older people who don't really give a shit about feeling the music, go to opera and classical concerts. It's a social thing for the 'higher society'. They go mostly to the concerts of established performers, and to a lesser extent, the established composers (mostly those whose names begin with B). Such people would go insane when they'd hear some late 20th century music - classical as much as the B-dudes were classical. On the other hand, the contemporary classical concerts are filled with younger snobs who don't really try to understand or feel the music, only to keep a clever and thoughtful faces before their friends/girlfriends, while thinking about the beer they'd better have now. Unfortunately, they use this music as Functional.

I prefer to keep Functional music out of my life.

What does everybody think of this ? Is there a Functional music ? What is your attitude toward it ? Arguments and contrarguments are welcome.

D Mullholand

On a side note, I think the term "progressive" applied to dance music is just ridiculous.

I get annoyed whenever I hear someone say "progressive house" or "progressive trance", I mean, let's get serious. Progressive? Yea right!

It goes without saying that people who use such terms are typically in to electronic music and therefore are completely clueless. Therefore, should we forgive them for their idiocy? I think so.

D is right about the fact that nobody actually "listens" to dance music, if they did they would surely die of boredom or failing that, shove the nearest sharp object into their neck.

Dance music isn't meant to be listened to, it's meant to be danced to. It's not really art, it's more like a path that takes you somewhere. Real music, like Opeth, is like a scenic journey with lots of interesting things to observe and ponder, which is why it demands so much attention. Dance music on the other hand isn't about observing, it's about the state of mind it creates through repetition (not so unlike meditation) while the person is busy thinking/observing things other than the music.

Therefore, I feel dance music must be viewed in the context of which it was intended. If you actually listen to it (which you aren't really supposed to) then you'll think it's crap. However, if you are stoned enough or busy enough doing something else (ie. dancing, fucking the dog, what have you) then it can act as a backdrop for these activities and is quite well suited for this purpose.

I'm not a fan of dance music, but I can see the point of it. If you say dance music sucks, then you obviously don't "get it", that's a lot like saying a CD of forest sounds sucks, it's just noise and that's all. Judging dance music on it's artistic impression and technical merit is a lot like judging the quality of a baseball bat by the way it feels when you shove it up your ass - it was never intended to be used for that purpose and therefore it is being viewed completely out of context.

Satori

First off, Mullholand (I finally spelled that right!), your post was well thought-out and a pleasure to read. Very interesting thoughts.

OK, and now I'm going to dig myself a nice, big hole.

Everything you two said about dance music makes sense, and I can see why you'd say that based on your experiences. And I may be ostracized for saying this, but...

I used to be really heavily into dance music, and while I'm not so much anymore, I still consider it a valid form of music. I fell away from it more because of the clique and trendsters that formed around dance music (you know, the glow sticks, the candy pacifiers).

You both jumped to the conclusion that no one could possibly listen to dance music outside of a dance setting...and you're wrong. I used to listen to it and get immense joy out of it just as much as I now listen to and gain joy from Opeth.

Maybe this is just my strange group of acquaintances, but I know several metalheads who love Prodigy.

I have to admit -- when I'm listening to it away from a dance setting, I'm imagining myself dancing. You know that thread we had about imagining yourself playing with your favorite band? I used to imagine myself performing some elaborate dance routine in front of my school! :lol:

Like I said, I think everything you guys said is valid -- I would think exactly the same thing -- everything TELLS me to think exactly the same thing -- EXCEPT for the fact that I remember my own experiences with dance music.

The thoughts you have about dance music are what I feel about Katatonia for all the same reasons. It's boring, monotonous, and repetitive. I truly cannot stand listening to them the exact way you can't stand listening to dance music. And in a way, I think they definitely belong in that category with bands whom people listen to to wallow in an emotion they're already feeling. But you don't seem to have the same low opinion of Katatonia fans that you do of techno fans.

Dance music is not really art, it's more like a path that takes you somewhere. Real music, like Opeth, is like a scenic journey with lots of interesting things to observe and ponder, which is why it demands so much attention. Dance music on the other hand isn't about observing, it's about the state of mind it creates through repetition (not so unlike meditation) while the person is busy thinking/observing things other than the music.
yes and no. the genre of "dance music" or "techno" is MASSIVE. so while this is true for a lot of it, there is a strong core of respectable "ravers" (yuck, hate that term) who analyze their music just as we analyze Opeth. Yes, I know that's shocking. :p But mixing, scratching, etc, is an artform in itself. There are good DJs and bad DJs, originators and copiers, unique/stimulating/tantalizing/thrilling new beats and merely repetitive thumping. There are deeper standards by which to judge techno. You just aren't familiar with them -- the way I wasn't familiar with the difference between a good growl and a shitty growl, or double bass, just a couple years ago.

I'm completely rambling. I'm not sure I have a point, other than to share my own experiences. :rolleyes:

As for the original question of the thread, I too stay away from (what I think is) functional music. Here's something to think about though -- I think most "smart" people do. The types of people you listed, Mullholand, aren't *consciously* listening to a type of music for appearances' sake. You and I are aware and observant enough to know that's what their ultimate goal is, but I'm not sure THEY know that.

So does anyone who can recognize the difference between "functional music" and "non-functional music" actually purposely listen to the former?

Great thread!

I think the fact that dance music has a melody to it says that its not only for dancing. If it was purely for dancing to, what is the purpose of the melody?

Furthermore all music has a "beat" its just not emphasised by the 4/4 "pounding" used in dance music.

I agree, all music has rhythm, that's why I especially hate it when people put down metal or progressive music for that reason. And all music has soul (although not necessarily one's own), so that isn't a valid dismissal of prog either.

I think, basically you take what you want/need to out of music, so depending on what you approach it as, it will depend on if it is functional or not. I'm basically saying this based on the examples you gave. For instance:
Doom. I love this, but not really to affect my mood. I love the dynamics, emotion, the way songs build up. I know I'm strange, but, if anything, doom has a positive effect on me, if I'm depressed/tired, I'll put it on and it picks me up- I think this is mostly due to my love of it. So for me, it's a personal experiance, but you are probably right to say people use it to 'doom-out'.
Classical, in particular Opera. Totally right when you say people go to it for the image, but I love opera (been to about 20 of 'em), and it's because I like the whole package- costumes, acting, music, stage settings etc.... I have little interest in listening to a recording of opera songs though, paticularly an "opera's greatest hits" type thing- I need to take the opera as a whole, not just individual songs taken out of context (see, there are thematic developments throughout the entire work, which you miss by only hearing one song). So again, you are right, but you aren't :err: :lol:

And just to ruin any credability I may have (probably none...), I love Deicide and Cannibal Corpse, and will probably never see them live :lol:

So, restating my opening thoughts, you get out what you want to.

Music is functional to the individual listening at that moment. I think any art form is viewed differently by each person, thus, it may serve a particular purpose for the individual.

For example, on my way to play hockey on Wednesday nights, I'll play songs that pump me up, such as The Funeral Portrait, or for that matter anything hard and fast. That makes it functional right then and there.

Of course dance music is functional in a dance setting, but for those who love that type of music, they may use that music to help them find an emotion in any setting.

You could argue this about any genre of music - I'm just saying all music provides a function for somebody somewhere.

This is indeed a very interesting topic, well done D! After ruminating on the thought for a couple of hours I think I have come up with some things perhaps worth mentioning...

You mentioned examples of functional music that you would preferably keep out of your life. But what if music had no function? All substance is derived from that function, necessitated by the prerequisite qualities it demands. Like you say, functional music has value in a local space, but very little so beyond the space's confines. This is all very true. But is any kind of music limited to one single function to which all of its listeners must heed to? No, clearly not. All music has function, both designed and formed through individual perception: dance music has a designated primary objective to be uplifting and easy to dance to, as the name of the style suggests. But that can not be the sole purpose for its existence, for should it be I would myself be fighting against windmills - a preconceived notion of what the music should be used to - by listening to Aphex Twin, The Prodigy, Op:l Bastards and so forth and resenting dancing at the same time. (Granted, the simplistic styles of dance music do not appeal to me, but neither does simple straight-forward death metal or rock'n'roll.) If that were the case we would be at the mercy of those who create the music for their own, personal ends - I could not listen to Autumnblaze for the purpose of relaxing, but only becoming depressed.

So, to not make this reply one of my usual marathons I will try and make a rather short conclusion. As I said in the "What do you respect in music" thread, no genre of music is bad in itself. How could I dismiss something as great as Darkthrone just because some teenagers use the band as a means to rebel against their parents, the church and so on? It is not the function that the music has for me and therefore it should not degrade the value of the actual piece of art. It is about distinguishing these separate functions into what we may view as fit for ourselves. And if the primary function of a certain type of music is outside the realm of ethics and morale we may well give the music a function that differs from the original a great deal. (And referring to my notion about Darkthrone, the group's objective with the music was to rebel, but as the function that decides the form of the music is not to be viewed as morally questionable in my opinion, I may use their music for varying functions that have risen through personal conceptions of the nature of black metal. If a band writes music like Darkthrone and promotes views through their music that I cannot approve of I am not willing to listen to their music.)

For a complete picture of what I think of the subject you will have to read this and what I wrote in the "What do you respect in music" thread. But D, I very much agree with many things you have said, but only changing one major thing: I resent some of the functions people have for music, but that does not have to mean that the actual music is worthless.

Ok I don´t have the patients to write a 300 word essay about this subject but I want to mention one thing about the Functionality of dance music. This is very common where I live and problaby around the world with some groups of people. To BLAST dance music or hip hop (to blast=really loud volume setting while driving around). Because dance music and hip hop have very strong bass in it people with good sound systems (subwoofers etc) choose it to show off how their awesome sound systems but they (my oppinion) couldn´t care less what they are playing as long as it has strong bass, for them it´s about the biggest or the best system not the music.

Yes, the people who want to show off with their stereos use the most bass-driven music to voice out that they have the best stuff and that they are 'cool'. They give the music such a function, which of course is nothing but laughable. But imagine Vader's "Litany" being played with the most high-standard car stereo, with bass turned to the maximum! That really should blast, like anyone who has experienced the bass drum sound on that album should know.

I can't describe why I like Katatonia. To me it doesn't sound repetitive...it sounds like they're playing that part I love to hear over and over and they could keep playing it and I'd appreciate it just as much. Is it as simple as categorizing myself as someone who finds depressive music appealing? I love energetic/powerful music just as much. Then you go with LFDGD, and it's like <<WOE!>> I don't know...someone throw me a line here.

Opeth totally digs their music. It's got nothing to do with I do. Fuck no. If I'm upset about something or even angry/fed up with things and play some Katatonia...my mind feels good. It's functional to me.

Lately, my liking for Katatonia has grown. Much. It feels like, ya know if you're in a pool and if you stand at the part where it starts to slope into the deep end and there's nothing to hold on to and you start sliding down and go under the water and if you balance just right, you can slide all the way to the bottom. I wasn't a big fan and I feel like I was sucked in and I don't know why. I LOVE Sulfur on the Teargas EP!!! I mean it. This is love. :cool:

"I had sulfur in my heart but not enough strength to give it a spark."

All music should be functional because by definition the function of music itself its to be a means of expression.

But i do get your point and its wise; I never got into dance music cause i either dismiss it by the ambient its played in, or i cannot focus on findind any depth on it because of the monotony on a personal ambient...Political Music: I was a hardcore kid and i know tons of Pseudo Punks and Hardcore kids and Straight Edge kids and the last thing we cared ( cause i was young and i was part of it at some point ) was expression. I mean ok we wanted to express anger to society and life and on a personal level my misanthropic views of life, but in the end when we where doing something it was just picking catchy riffs, make a song sound agressive and violent so everyone could mosh to it, and its rather easy to discover such tricks like breakdowns and so...and well i can say too that im convinced that people that have true politic oriented thinking should diminish political music cause its stupid. There isnt a single political musician who actually cares about politics, he cares about being political wich is a different thing, contributes to create an image and admosphere but in the end they care about nothing, scenes mean nothing, "brotherhood" means nothing. and to this people even friendship and other values they are suppossed to fight for mean nothing as i learned from bitter experience through the years. The same person who is up there in the stage screaming " ITS TIME TO PAYBACK" stares at me knowing they screw me over and went behind my back for years lying and hiding like rats...its all a big fake illusion kids with an authoity problem create...I suggest a tradicional spanking, maybe a fist spank to those big kids.

And about Goth and dark music; well it does hit a hit to me cause i enjoy it but you also have a point: anything you play in a minor scale, keeping short intervals and making the tempo painfully slow will sound depressing. Its just as easy as making catchy music or agressive music. Sometimes i listen to bands and i really get sentimental ( as a previous threat prove it ) and ( opeth not being the case of course ) the band its just using the formulas, yet i would say 90% of the effect a depressing song has on me its purely my overreaction thats why i understand goth kids and the like...

But in the end there is always exeptions, there is hardcore bands ( very very few although ) that are truly expressive like mm Groundzero comes to mind, there are depressing bands that really have sentiment to it, they are agressive bands that create an admosphere of hatred and sadness behind all wich truly expresses violence, like Cold hate, Warm Blood of Cryptopsy.
There is always exeptions and those bands truly deserve to be called exeptional bands and all it comes with that word.

Functional Music its an irony cause the function of music its expression, if expression disapers then is it still music? or it becomes noise? what makes music, structured arrange of melody harmony and rythm or expression?

Expression makes music to me and the cualities of that expression can be found elsewhere, in these so called functional music, nevertheless it does not grant the Music status to it...

(to blast=really loud volume setting while driving around). Because dance music and hip hop have very strong bass in it people with good sound systems (subwoofers etc) choose it to show off how their awesome sound systems

Ever tried to pump on EXTREME music with some of the lowest sounds audible by humans like some Goregrind? ( aka Mortician, Gore beyond Necropsy, Last Days of Humanity ). Its devastating it can blow up those ultrapowerfull stereos...try it someday:lol:

Well I don´t have the stereo system blast that good but it would surely be very funny to see the pedestrians when you drive by them with some grindcore on and the volume maxed (But I will NOT sink to their Level!!! If I can hear the music thats enough for me, I´m not throwing free out-door Metal disco´s) :lol:

My cars system is OK. Better than the one in the house! Ya know what's even worse? Even if I DID have a killer system, I can't blast it. It's too loud for the deaf old man who lives next door. Awwwwwwwwwe. Poor me. Poor poor me. :rolleyes: Anyhoo...headphones are a good way to go. Are the cordless ones any good? What's one of the better brand names?

yourdeadgroom, metalmancpa and Hannu Mutanen :

Your answers are exactly what I was hoping to hear - you're right, functionality depends mostly on the individual or social circle. Of course, no "category" of music is limited to one function only. I was implying the same thing in my original post. I don't reject the possibility of good music coming out of the "dance" genre and transcending its functionality. As for extreme metal and doom - I listen to this music quite often, but with no defined purpose. My affection for metal is often irrational, as far as ruining ones credibility is concerned. I like to think of experiencing music as a combination of the artists vision and the vision which I bring with myself. Hypothetically, a "smart", "seeking" person can enjoy even the seemingly dumbest music if it manages to complement a part of her inner world. That is, of course, when she listens to the music as a personal experience, not as a superficial mind-dressing. (I don't know if I expressed myself clearly, I'm trying to bend the language to my will, not always with success)

I'm a huge admirer of Katatonia's music, and it doesn't matter who their audience are, and whether they use Katatonia in a Functional way. The band has a strong vision. Repetitive, sure, but Opeth are repetitive as well. All metal is repetitive. A formula can end up in good hands or in the hands of a fraud. I never listen to Katatonia for the purpose of wallowing in depression. I rarely have depression these days anyway, and when I do, I don't want to have a music associated with those temporary problems in the future - I don't want to spoil the future experiences with bad memories.

D Mullholand
------------------
NP: Anglagard - Epilog

PS: Thank you all for the patting on the head :) - when the "divine revelations" thread sunk like the U-96, I began picturing all my future threads as submarines - I'm glad that someone actually responded !

Misanthrope :

All music should be functional because by definition the function of music itself its to be a means of expression.

Well said, but I would not define it that way. I think music, like language, IS expression. What is the function of Earth then - to be a planet ? But no, I don't want to start a pointless battle for definitions - such arguments are never productive. :)

I agree with the points you made in your post - interesting to hear about politismatic-hardcore scene from a first-person witness.

One more thing I'd like to add about depressing music though. You did a good description of the popular formula for making "doom" music - but it does not include quality. In the hands of a talented or hard-working artist, the usage of the "doom" device can produce wonderful results, if it's done with good taste and feeling. Formulas can be used to make "category" music, but not "quality" music. But I'm restating the obvious here.

Functional Music its an irony cause the function of music its expression, if expression disapers then is it still music? or it becomes noise? what makes music, structured arrange of melody harmony and rythm or expression?

With the disappearance of expression, music disappears as a whole, since Music IS Expression. Noise can be expression too, and thus Noise can be Music. Bad music is music that completely disappears when you take away the Funcitonality element, unless the element itself is reinvented as Expression. Another pile of speculative definitions and concepts from me.

D Mullholand

I agree with you on the headphones, can´t live without them. I wear mine 24/7. I don´t know about the cordless ones though, I have vivianco headphones or something. I use headphones like 9 out if every 10th time I listen to music and I don´t enjoy it as much without them (expecially Opeth)

Interesting stuff.

When I spoke of dance music, I guess I was referring to only the very simple-minded and super-repetitive stuff. I have never known anyone to actually listen to this stuff as an art form (until now). There is some electronic music that is quite inventive, it's not my thing, but I can see the appeal in it, and it can also be danced to, so I guess that makes it dance music. heheh :)

Satori