Garcia likely out with Eagles as Feeley gets new deal

thraxx

You'll Be in Hell With ME
Nov 23, 2002
www.anthrax.com
INDIANAPOLIS -- In a move that almost certainly will preclude the return of quarterback Jeff Garcia to Philadelphia in 2007, and figures to send the eight-year veteran scrambling to find a new team in free agency, the Eagles on Sunday reached agreement with A.J. Feeley on a three-year contract extension.
Jeff Garcia
s4924.jpg
Quarterback
Philadelphia Eagles

Profile2006 SEASON STATISTICSAttCompYdsTDIntRat188116126910295.8
Financial details of the extension were not yet available.
"I love Philadelphia. I love the city. I love the organization," Feeley said. "It's where I want to be. It was a no-brainer for me in that regard. There's something to be said for being with a team you love everything about it."
There were rumblings the past few days that Philadelphia officials, apparently convinced they could not strike a deal with Garcia before the start of the free agency period on March 2, had turned their attentions to Feeley, a six-year veteran.
Steve Baker, the agent for Garcia, said here Sunday afternoon that the Eagles preferred to have a deal in place with his client before free agency started. Apparently, Garcia asked for a five-day grace period at the outset of unrestricted free agency, one that would permit him to test the market and gauge his value, before determining whether to re-sign with the Eagles.
"Once we would not agree with their ultimatum," Baker said, "they apparently moved on to [Feeley] to get a deal there. But Jeff will be fine."
While the move is somewhat surprising, given that Garcia posted a 5-1 record and led the Eagles to a playoff berth after replacing the injured Donovan McNabb, it is not altogether shocking. At age 29, Feeley is nearly eight full years younger than Garcia, and the staff in Philadelphia, including head coach Andy Reid, holds him in high regard.
A.J. Feeley
s5603.jpg
Quarterback
Philadelphia Eagles

Profile2006 SEASON STATISTICSAttCompYdsTDIntRat382633230122.9
Under the right circumstances, Philadelphia probably would have welcomed Garcia back for another season, but only on its conditions and on its timetable. His reluctance solidified the desires of some within the organization to pursue Feeley instead, and to essentially make him the No. 2 quarterback on the depth chart.
Feeley began his career with the Eagles in 2001 but, after three seasons, was traded to the Miami Dolphins in 2004. He subsequently played in San Diego, and then returned to the Eagles last year after the Chargers released him. In two games in 2006, he completed 26 of 38 passes for 342 yards, with three touchdown passes and no interceptions.
For his career, Feeley has completed 313 of 562 passes for 3,389 yards, with 22 touchdown passes and 25 interceptions.
A three-time Pro Bowl performer, but a quarterback nomad since 2003, Garcia now will be on the move again. He faces the prospect now of playing for a fourth different franchise in four seasons and, while Garcia has value and will attract attention in free agency, the future is somewhat clouded.
At least two teams perceived as having a need for a veteran quarterback, Minnesota and Chicago, said in recent weeks they are not interested in adding Garcia. Baker said Sunday he is "very confident" he will have a competitive market for his client.
In 99 games, including 92 starts, Garcia has completed 1,811 of 2,972 passes for 20,385 yards, with 136 touchdown passes and 73 interceptions, for an efficiency rating of 86.4. He has thrown for more than 2,500 yards five times in his career.

TMAN????

Well i think this is a hugh mistake on the part of the Eagles......Maybe Andy Reids Kids are running Garica out of town....Rumors are the the Raiders will pick him up. They better get JaMarcus Williams in the draft.

Yeah, I saw this on NFL Network...Sterling Sharpe made an interesting comment about the Feeley move he said "This move is more what Donovan Mcnabb wants than what the Eagles organization wants."

I think that's true... It was no secret that Mcnabb wasn't too happy about the success that Garcia was having and signing Feeley guarantees that Garcia will be gone for next season....I don't know, I think it's a bad move too!!

I haven't heard anything about the Raiders pursuing Garcia...But there's been ALOT of talk that they're going to sign Jake Plummer once Denver cuts him..That could be interesting..Plummers not half as bad a QB as fans say he is!! He won't be the Raiders savior (Neither will JaMarcus Russell....Immediatley) But Jake could help make it so you guys are picking top 10 next year instead of #1 again.. Garcia would be a good move too since he loves the west coast.

Something was also said on the same show that I found interesting..... I can't remember who said it but it's that The Bears are holding up Lovie Smiths contract in hopes of using that money to sign a top free agent this off season...Smith is signed to the end of the upcoming season and unless he quits will have to coach another year as the lowest paid coach if the Bears are holding that money in hopes of grabbing a top free agent (Garcia)
It was said that even though they made it to the S.B. The mgmt of the Bears wasn't overly impressed with the job that Lovie did coaching the team this year. (And if I'm to be honest...Neither was I!!) This will be an interesting situtation to watch....Makes me wonder if they don't give him a new contract if he'll quit?? So far this has been a strange off season.

TMAN????

Well i think this is a hugh mistake on the part of the Eagles......Maybe Andy Reids Kids are running Garica out of town....Rumors are the the Raiders will pick him up. They better get JaMarcus Williams in the draft.

I think it is as much Reid as Donovan.
Donovan is one of the best QBs in the game, but he does go into slumps and sometimes lacks confidence.
The worst thing as a QB would to be constantly looking over your shoulder.
It is about Donovan, but probably indirectly.

Yeah, I saw this on NFL Network...Sterling Sharpe made an interesting comment about the Feeley move he said "This move is more what Donovan Mcnabb wants than what the Eagles organization wants."

I think that's true... It was no secret that Mcnabb wasn't too happy about the success that Garcia was having and signing Feeley guarantees that Garcia will be gone for next season....I don't know, I think it's a bad move too!!

Toatally T-man, they had some shit about Mcnabb being upset over Garcia's hype from the fans, and even Jim Rome said, Coach Reid will get rid of Garcia cause Mcnabb is still the guy there.
Now if only Macnabb can finish a full season without injuries......

I saw on ESPN last night that John Clayton has Garcia signed sealed and delivered to be a Bronco. That surprises me a bit considering I haven't heard their name mentioned until last night...And I usually believe Clayton as he's seldom wrong.. Makes me wonder what The Bears are going to do..

Football season never really ends, does it T-Man? It will go back burner for a little while once the Mets start playing again.
Anyway, watch for Garcia to move to the Bucs. They have a nice RB, nice WR's and still have a very good defense. Simms may not be back at 100%.
I think Andy Reid pulled the strings on letting Garcia go. He didn't need a QB controversy. I am sure he got his fill with the whole TO situation.
You're right, Plummer is a good QB. He kind of reminds me of Neil O'Donnel. Consistently just a hair above average. Enough to make you think it will 'click' one day.

Yeah Q, That's one of the many things that's great about football is the fact that the off season can be just as fun to keep track of as the regular season.

Sadly enough for me I hate Baseball!!! And with The Celtics horrible play right now I have to turn to my favorite sport for comfort (Football's #2) And look forward to the May 5th showdown between Mayweather & De La Hoya!! I have nothing else until football preseason..

Football season never really ends, does it T-Man? It will go back burner for a little while once the Mets start playing again.
Anyway, watch for Garcia to move to the Bucs. They have a nice RB, nice WR's and still have a very good defense. Simms may not be back at 100%.
I think Andy Reid pulled the strings on letting Garcia go. He didn't need a QB controversy. I am sure he got his fill with the whole TO situation.
You're right, Plummer is a good QB. He kind of reminds me of Neil O'Donnel. Consistently just a hair above average. Enough to make you think it will 'click' one day.

Yeah Q, That's one of the many things that's great about football is the fact that the off season can be just as fun to keep track of as the regular season.

Sadly enough for me I hate Baseball!!! And with The Celtics horrible play right now I have to turn to my favorite sport for comfort (Football's #2) And look forward to the May 5th showdown between Mayweather & De La Hoya!! I have nothing else until football preseason..

You're right, the Celtics do suck. I am a lifelong fan though. I was sad about DJ passing away. I am not so sure Ainge knows what he is doing. Why trade Ricky Davis for Wally Sczerbiak? Ricky was just starting to mature and be a leader. Neither Wally or Ricky plays very good defense but, Ricky was much better at it that Wally. Who knows, maybe the Celts will get the #1 pick this year.

You're right, the Celtics do suck. I am a lifelong fan though. I was sad about DJ passing away. I am not so sure Ainge knows what he is doing. Why trade Ricky Davis for Wally Sczerbiak? Ricky was just starting to mature and be a leader. Neither Wally or Ricky plays very good defense but, Ricky was much better at it that Wally. Who knows, maybe the Celts will get the #1 pick this year.

The Celtics need to stop winning, they tied Memphis for worst record. Knowing the Celtics luck lately they will get the third pick and miss out on Durant and Oden. Just think if they had a Billups, J. Johnson, Pierce line-up every night. They could have also had Ben Wallace in the front court if they wouldn't have cut him so quickly during summer league.