gating toms

smoke.ya.later

New Metal Member
Jun 17, 2010
i usually manually erase and fade but...
its not workin out ..

what are some good ways of gating toms?
like..settings wise

and what would i do ( other than re-recording ) if i have a medium/large amount of leakage?

Yeah dude usually i get cymbal bleed but ive found that manually works best. Ive you get cymbal bleed try to replace them with toms hits that dont have leakage. Or if you want to you can aslo trigger the toms and mix them with the original .

Yeah dude usually i get cymbal bleed but ive found that manually works best. Ive you get cymbal bleed try to replace them with toms hits that dont have leakage. Or if you want to you can aslo trigger the toms and mix them with the original .

yeah
but everyone triggers stuff
im trying to have the drums as natural as possible
the most that i would do with triggering is blending the miked kick and the miked snare and blend those with samples..that's about it

Yeah dude i know how that goes i dont like triggering toms, either but sometimes just copying clean toms hits and replacing them for the ones that have to much cymbal bleed does the trick.

Have u tried that?

I record isolated drum hits for each session and will use theese to replace toms where there is too much cymbal bleed. + I erase everything from the tom tracks where there are no hits.

I still gate the toms but not filter out unwanted noise but to alter the decay of the toms. I use the recorded trigger tracks as the sidechain input to the gates and slip the trigger tracks a couple of ms forward so the attack of the toms is not lost.

somethimes I duplicate the trigger tracks put drumagog on them blend under the original toms if the sound is too weak. with a 60-40 percent ratio in favour of the original sound it won't sound triggered at all.

When working with tracks that have a shit ton of bleed before I had Trigger or apTrigga I would just low pass them till the drum tone started to get affected then back off just a tad. From there I would gate them and it worked ok. If you dont have a sound replacer this could be an option for you.

EDIT: havent had coffee yet ... sorry LOW PASS! I typed High Pass initially :p

Hmmm, I'm sure I remember someone doing a tutorial on using transient designer to get a nice bright attack from the initial transient of the toms and not getting loads of cymbal bleed in the sustain. You'd have to dig around for it though.

the tom hits end too fast
too much staccato for tom hits..lol

if you want it more natural sounding just let the amount of tom decay go until the next cymbal hit or basically the next measure of the part and put a long fade from a second after the last tom hit until the cymbal hit. Perfectly natural sounding and it won't seem abrupt

IMO more natural sounding than gating. Don't judge it by listening to the drums soloed out