The Black Sails

New Metal Member
Sep 9, 2006
London, UK (w/ Russ)
Gaza - I Don't Care Where I Go When I Die
Black Market Activities - BMA 015-2 - Available now
The Black Sails

gaza.jpg

Immediately hitting with nods to Botch, 'Calf', the introductory track, moves on to unearthly guttural roars before anyone can fully draw any comparisons with the stalwarts. It stomps, kicks and bellows its way through just over two minutes, but then it just seems that the band didn't know how to finish it in any sensible way, and just downed instruments. This is definitely a grind record. And it seems to be one of the highest esteem. Listening through it can at times seem like a challenge, but isn't this what we expect from grind and extreme music?

The title track, like everything on here, continues in the Botch and Coalesce vein, but with a vocal style unlike any of them; this guy is certainly setting them ahead, he has a great range as can be seen in 'Hospital Fat Bags'. His lungs must be the size of some small car built in Russia (so you know it will run forever). The lyrical content is just as silly as some other grind bands, with 'Calf' providing us with "I love you for all the same reasons I could not shoot crippled horses" and "I have never seen a dog with crooked teeth", but unless you use the inlay you'd never be able to tell.

The main question for this release is as to whether it'll stand the test of time. Right now (and I've listened to it a good many times) it is sounding as near perfect as it did upon first listen. I believe this is a band that will bring many more good things to us in the next few years (good fortune prevailing), and if they can make even half of their songs in the albums to come as good as this, then I can recommend every single one of them to fans of Premonitions of War and Pig Destroyer as well as the aforementioned bands.

This is a must buy for fans of grind and sludge... Hell, I think everyone should buy it.

8/10

UM's Review Rating Scale

Official Gaza website
Official BMA website