Gear and connections in studio

migreeni

Dismember
Nov 27, 2005
Finland
www.malummeh.com
How do you setup your studio gear connections? I see a lot of people use a real shitload of gear and I'm dazzled how they make everything work with each other!

For instance, let's say I have an M-audio projectmix I/O (which I will buy ASAP) and Focusrite's Liquid Mix and I want both of them to work together in the same session: My computer has only one Firewire port and both of the hardware are firewire. Do I stick the Projectmix to my computer's firewire port and Liquid Mix to the Projectmix's firewire port?

Any other pointers regarding this topic would also be appreciated!

E: Shit, seems like projectmix has only one fw... Well you got my point anyhow!

There are very poor chances that two daisy-chained Firewire devices will function properly in *audio* work, where discrete signal is of utmost importance. Most people just buy more Firewire controllers (one PCI controller costs something like 15 - 20 euros). But remember that almost all studio gear is connected to interface inputs (unbalanced 6.3mm jacks), not to the Firewire bus as separate devices. So it's basically:

A whole bunch of rack gear/such -> Inteface -> one Firewire cable -> Computer -> DAW