Gear Questions...

metalisforlife

Metal Dale
Feb 15, 2002
Fredericton, Canada
www.acidplanet.com
Hello James. Dale here to bug you once again. I would love it if you would fill me, and all the JM fans out there about some gear questions I have always wondered about. Here goes:

1) You have mainly played BC Rich, Ibanez and Fender guitars over the years. In your opinion, which comapny makes better instruments?

2) You switched to Mesa amps and cabs when you joined Testament. Why is that? Was it because you COULD upgrade, due to your high profile in Testament, or did you just plain and simple like the tone better? I understand you returned to Marshall later on.

3) Sometimes i see you playing maple fretboards, other times rosewood. Which do you prefer? Why? Most people like one OR the other, usually not both.

4) What string gauges do you use? Picks?

5) What are your BASIC settings for rhythm AND leads? For example, my lead sound has the mids up all the way, while I back down the bass, and crank the gain. Then my rhythm tone has the mids and bass on about half, and the gain on about 7.

6) And lastly. Why are you so cool? You are just an amazing guitarist/producer, and an even better person. To all the people out there reading this: James is the REAL deal, folks. This guy cares about people like you and me.

Keep on fighting James! And keep on helping James out financially, everyone!!

See ya,

Dale Lyons

Hi Dale,

Here's the answers to your questions - thanks for posting!

1. Fender can make some excellent instruments but I like Ibanez too and they have a lot more consistency in their guitars. The Wizard neck just plays great for me.

2. Mesa was what Testament were already using and I had already started using them right before I took Disincarnate on tour. I already like them. I have always loved Marshall stuff too and I just decided to go back to them. I don't actually own any amps or cabs now anyway and can't really afford any.

3. Which type of fretboard I used just depended on what sound I wanted. Maple is generally brighter sounding and rosewood a little darker. Ebony is the warmest of all, perhaps a little too much for me when it comes to metal rhythm sounds. Their are a lot of other factors to a tone besides which wood is on the fretboard though, so....

4. I generally use 10 to 42 or 46 for strings. My picks are made by a company called Jimy Picks and they are the .88mm no-slip style, similar to the Dunlop Tortex .88mm. Check out their website by clicking their name above.

5. I couldn't even tell you what my basic settings are. It depends on the amp. I almost always add a little bit of Ibanez Tube Screamer, especilly for leads. It gets a bit more sustain. Works especially good with the old JCM 900 Marhall heads.

6. Whoa that one caught me off guard.... thanks Dale, I appreciate it.

Take care my friend. Stay in touch!

"Problems call forth our courage and our wisdom; indeed they create our courage and our wisdom. It is only because of problems that we grow. It is for this reason that wise people learn not to dread but actually welcome problems." ~M. Scott Peck~

i have used almost the same gear as james over the years, but its mainly due to the same reasons james listed. i love ibanez sabres, for such small skinny guitars they have lots of tone! i have gibson pickups in it. i also have a fender guitar that i built from parts. as for b.c. rich the neck speaks for its self, comfortable.
i tend to like marshalls over mesa. mesas are too muddy sounding. i like the warmth of marshalls. i use a jubilee 50/25 watt and a jmp 70's superlead 100 watt.