Gene Hoglan says ...

lurch70

Sep 27, 2002
NYC
In today's world, you gotta have your chops together. Back when I was starting oot, there were literally a handful of drummers who could string two sentences together, let alone play thrash in any sort of cohesive style. It was mostly a guitar-driven genre. Nowadays with all the BADASSES out there, if you're not one of 'em, you're sunk. Drums have taken over as the 'featured instrumentalist' in thrash. I've toured with and seen so many amazing drummers this year, it is truly inspiring.

do you agree?

it is true that today's drummers are light years ahead of ones from even 10 years ago.

and inversly proportional, most of today's guitar players cannot come up with a beautiful flowing riff if their life depended on it.

totally dependant on the genre youre talking about. i dont listen to much thrash myself, so i cant say.

well. if you're going to be in a modern death metal band today, it's going to be one hell of a lot more tricky than it was slopping out some autopsy clonery in 1989. same with black metal bands. i'd say he's on to sometihng

I'm not sure if I agree, I can't say with certainty (probably because I'm a nonmusician) that drumming is more crucial to metal than it was 10-15 years ago, and while the genre has produced its share of drummers with inhuman chops, it's also churned out lots of people permanently stuck on blast...

for extreme metal these days, you NEED your chops as a drummer. listen to Mithras and Vital Remains for proof.

on the whole i prefer dudes like Reed Mullin (COC) and Brant Bjork (Kyuss). yes very talented, but nothing showy. although then again when my drummer pulls out some fuckin weird 16/9 time signature in the middle of a 6/8 song i generally get a pretty hefty boner.

Sexy Little Otter said:
for extreme metal these days, you NEED your chops as a drummer. listen to Mithras and Vital Remains for proof.

on the whole i prefer dudes like Reed Mullin (COC) and Brant Bjork (Kyuss). yes very talented, but nothing showy. although then again when my drummer pulls out some fuckin weird 16/9 time signature in the middle of a 6/8 song i generally get a pretty hefty boner.

whia .,,... math ... pizaa ... 2 am ... does not compute

hehe.

Drummers make (if they're good) or break (if they suck) a band. If they're average... well... they kinda don't fluctuate the band much, as long as they don't try and do something amazing, with average skills and flub it and make it sounds like crap. THen onceagain, the fuck theband up.