GEOFF TATE: 'It's An Artistic Achievement Every Time I Complete A Record And Release

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
Metal Wani editor in chief Owais "Vitek" Nabi recently conducted an interview with QUEENSRŸCHE singer Geoff Tate. You can now listen to the chat in the YouTube clip below. Asked about the lukewarm response to "Frequency Unknown", the latest album from his version of QUEENSRŸCHE, Tate said: "I didn't have any expectations as to how it would be perceived or taken. "In my experience, having released many albums over time, I've learned that it doesn't really do me any good to put expectations on how other people perceive music, because we all perceive it differently. We all are in different places emotionally and mentally and physically. "Music is a very intimate journey and a very intimate experience. So you can't expect everyone to feel the same way about the music as you do. So, honestly, it's something I don't worry about; I don't really think about it. "For me, it's an artistic achievement every time I complete a record and release it. And for me, that's why I do it. I don't release an album to feed my ego or to flatter myself. I release a record because I feel strongly about making music. "I'm a songwriter — that's what I do — and it's a wonderful thing when what you do connects with people in a way that they find inspiring, and for me, that's enough. That's what I work for — to, first, please myself, to make myself feel a level of completeness. And that's pretty much my direction." Tate's QUEENSRŸCHE now features Geoff along with guitarist Kelly Gray (QUEENSRŸCHE 1998-2001), keyboardist Randy Gane and the band's latest additions, guitarist Robert Sarzo (QUIET RIOT, HURRICANE), Rudy Sarzo and drummer Simon Wright (AC/DC, DIO, RHINO BUCKET). "Frequency Unknown" sold around 5,500 copies in its first week of release in the United States to land at position No. 82 on The Billboard 200 chart. Issued on April 23, 2013, the CD was produced by Jason Slater at a studio in Northern California. Tate — who was fired from QUEENSRŸCHE in 2012 after fronting it for three decades — and his former bandmates recently requested more time to hammer out a settlement in their legal battle over the rights to the group's name. King County Superior Court Judge Beth Andrus has signed a new order continuing trial date, allowing the parties four more weeks to come to an agreement over the use of the QUEENSRŸCHE name and its associated trademarks. If they cannot reach an agreement during that period, the five-day, non-jury trial is set to begin on April 7.

More...