Get Thrashed: The Story Of Thrash Metal "Was A Long Journey"

Wyvern

Master of Disaster
Staff member
Nov 24, 2002
Get Thrashed: The Story Of Thrash Metal co-creator Rick Ernst (ex-Headbangers Ball) has posted the following update:

"As 2008 comes to a close, I just wanted to say 'thank you' to all the fans, family and friends I've met along the Get Thrashed way. The making Get Thrashed was a long journey so thanks are in order to the fans who attended a Get Thrashed screening - your kind words and words of encouragement kept me going when times were tough.

A special thanks to everyone who picked up a copy of the DVD. The film was indie, DIY and a 'fight to the finish' as we clawed our way to get the film released on DVD.With that in mind, to every single person who bought a copy of Get Thrashed - YOU RULE! Thank you so much. Whether you dropped me a line here on My Space, Facebook, sent me an email or were an anonymous buyer of the DVD - thank you so much for the support.

And lastly, kudos to the indie stores that have supported Get Thrashed. Vintage Vinyl (NJ), Looney Tunes (Long Island, NY), East West Records (FL), Karma Records East (Indianapolis, IN), Easy Street Records (Lower Queen Anne Seattle WA), Encore Records (Austin, TX) and so many others. We have been fortunate to have some of the big boys in the mix too - namely Chris at F.Y.E. in Oceanside, Long Island NY and various Hot Topic locations including the one in Lombard, IL (Yorktown Mall). It's very cool to be able to find the film at these cool locations where the owners/store managers have typically championed the film.

From the bottom of my thrash metal lovin' heart - THANK YOU!!"

The critically acclaimed music documentary, Get Thrashed: The Story Of Thrash Metal covers the evolution, cultural impact, and musical influence of Thrash Metal, an extreme form of heavy metal which burst on to the scene in the early - mid 1980’s. Told first-hand by members of bands such as METALLICA, MEGADETH, SLAYER and ANTHRAX, as well as using raw, original show footage, writer/director Rick Ernst (MTV/VH1) demonstrates how and why many of these bands emerged from playing local parties and small clubs to headlining major arenas and stadiums.

The film is a roller coaster ride of extreme music and personalities, starting with the most famous thrash metal pioneers, Metallica, and highlighting other genre defining bands like Megadeth, Slayer, EXODUS and more. The documentary features interviews with over 50 artists including past and current members of Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer, PANTERA, Exodus, LAMB OF GOD, TESTAMENT, SHADOWS FALL, IN FLAMES, KREATOR, DESTRUCTION, HATEBREED and many more.

The artists discuss the groundbreaking music of the Thrash Metal Scene, the culture surrounding it and includes raw, live concert footage depicting mosh pits, stage diving, head-banging, partying and the over the top antics that went along with the thrash metal movement. The movie breaks down how the thrash metal scene grew from its DIY beginnings in Los Angeles and San Francisco, then reached the East Coast, conquered Europe, and even took root in countries like Brazil and Australia. Get Thrashed highlights the similarities and differences in each region while illustrating how the seeds that were planted by Thrash Metal gave rise to the modern day breed of extreme Heavy Metal and Hard Rock.

The film features wall-to-wall music from Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera, Slayer, Anthrax, Exodus, SUICIDAL TENDENCIES and many more, and contains over 90 minutes of bonus footage, featuring thrash scenes and bands from around the world. The DVD offers more than 3 hours of content, including Director’s Commentary by Rick Ernst (ex Headbangers Ball) and Associate Producer, Rat Skates (ex-OVERKILL drummer), plus liner notes from legendary Exodus guitarist Gary Holt.

Get Thrashed: The Story of Thrash Metal has appeared in over 20 film festivals, highlighted by invitations to the prestigious Silver Lake Film Festival (LA), Oldenberg Film Festival (Germany), Athens International Film Festival (Greece) and Raindance Film Festival (London). The film’s year long run on the film festival circuit saw the documentary screen to packed houses and sold out theaters around the world while picking up awards including Best Documentary (2007 Seattle True Independent Film Festival, Backseat Film Festival, New York International Independent Film & Video Festival), SAFILM Grand Prize Award (2007 San Antonio Underground Film Festival), Best Soundtrack (2007 Backseat Film Festival) and Best Director (NYIIFVF).

Film running time is 100 minutes; DVD running time is 193 minutes.

Nothing personal, but I see in the rooster bands that ARE NOT thrash IMO, while new thrash bands are not mentioned (but maybe depicted in the documentary).

I think you have to see it to be able to judge it. I for one have it and love it! Does anyone else have it?

I'd get it regardless. Thrash metal did so much for metal. Still fucking unemployed, though. It's going on my short list of music DVD's to get..........once I get back to work.

I have it and I fucking love it.
The reason Hatebreed, Slipknot, In Flames
and all those other bands are in there is because
they were influenced by Thrash. I also agree
that there should have been an Overkill segment.

Its totally worth buying there is a lot of shit thats very interesting. Its not just the Metallica or big four show either. There is alot about lesser known bands and the special features which cover bands from all over the world is awesome.

any metal church?

Good call, a long discussion may come out of this. I am along the group that believe MC has a thrash vibe undoubtedly, but many catalogue them as power metal. So depends on who you talk too you may get different reactions, same with Meliah Rage.

I rented it about two months ago. It is definitely something everyone who likes thrash should check out. Even if you have a mild interest in the genre it is still a fun watch.

Good call, a long discussion may come out of this. I am along the group that believe MC has a thrash vibe undoubtedly, but many catalogue them as power metal. So depends on who you talk too you may get different reactions, same with Meliah Rage.
thats garbage, they deserve just as much as any of those bands to be in there

thats garbage, they deserve just as much as any of those bands to be in there

Before I get trigger happy please clarify what's garbage, my post? Or the notion that Metal Church is not considered thrash by many (which I disagree with btw)?

Being late I suppose, but I've just watched this doc and it's so great!
Reminded me why I've always regretted not being 10-15 years older and being there in the 80s when it all happened, when it was all about music cause it couldn't be about money... :erk: