Getting a Clean Vocal sound similar to Fear Factory's Archetype?

MegaMustaine

Apr 7, 2006
Not sure if a lot of you are familiar with the song, but I am kind of digging the production on the clean vocals of Fear Factory's Archetype. I kind of have a similar voice, and am curious about what type of plugins were used on the vox. I have the waves bundle and a few others if that helps.

Can't find a proper video of the song, but this video has the actual album version of the song.

Last edited by a moderator:
No need for that! Autotune=autolame. I was thinking overdubs, however on some parts it seems like it doubled or overdubbed, other parts not as much. And not in the sense of certain words are doubled, almost as if its like fading out and in. I'm wondering if it's a doubler or something. I have one in my waves bundle, but it's terrible for clean vocals. Pretty cool for screams.

I love the vocal sound in Archetype, even more in Obsolete, it has this wide stereo feel I love, I think delay and overdubs play a big part, but main thing is burton's vocals, auto-tuned or not.

Obviously must be a big part of the equation. I'm still wondering what gives them that airy and distant yet smooth characteristic. I have a very similar voice to Burton, so perhaps with some delay and a bit of overdubs i could achieve this. But thus far....i have been no where close.

I love the vocal sound in Archetype, even more in Obsolete, it has this wide stereo feel I love, I think delay and overdubs play a big part, but main thing is burton's vocals, auto-tuned or not.

Dude have you heard him live or seen any videos? the guy sucks terribly live, both clean vox and screams. And I'm a fear factory fan, not pouring random hate here.

To stay on topic, yeah it does sound great on records and Archetype is their best sounding album in all aspects IMO. Can't really help you out on how it's done though, as others say It sounds like overdubs and delay, can't specify

I recorded something like FF recently. Reverbs, delays, voice dual tracking and backing synths will get you in the ballpark:
http://files.getdropbox.com/u/458576/PGM Project - Album Prod - Beta Teaser.mp3

ok that is not "something like FF", that is a bland FF rip-off hahaha

But seriously, it sounds pretty good, you definitely nailed the vocals there (and everything else for that matter), really good job on that. It actually sounds like you hired Burton C. Bell to record those vocals and he brought along his gear/plugins with him.

I think your question is answered OP!

That's what COW is really good at: producing vocals. Though I don't know if he did on that album. Wouldn't be surprised though.

Christian Olde Wolbers
He used to play guitar (and bass?) in Fear Factory. Also it seams he played bass for Cypress Hill before.

Oh yeah I know who he is, I didn't relate the cow acronym to his name hahaha

I don't know if he did production duties on archetype, but that album is fuckin sweet.

To make it straight, he was bassist for fear factory from Demanufacture to Digimortal, in archetype he did both guitars and bass and they hired Byron Stroud to do live bass as he switched to guitar, but he still keep doing both instruments in the studio, so he also did both stuff on the album after archetype (transgression). And he also did guitars and bass and songwriting for the cypress hill album "stoned Raiders", probably production too but can't remember, gotta check the old booklet when I get home to verify that one

Btw, COW only played bass in a few songs of Demanufacture, and didn't have any role in the production of the album.

Man you nailed it! Your voice sounds great, love the guitars, the mix sounds powerful, nice work