Getting more customers

>>>GENZ<<<

Apr 4, 2010
Similar threads pop up in here quite regularly,times change fast though,many promotional tools aren't working anymore,like myspace.....

So let's start from online presence:
About a month ago i found out that none of my tools for myspace mass mailing
don't work after they updated to new profiles,that alone means myspace is dead for promotion.
next thing is, the only sort of messages i get on myspace are informing that this bands profile no longer exists,or invitation to facebook as the band leaves myspace... I am considering removing my account.
Next:FB, you can't really do mass mailing in there,which makes FB unusable for promotion,However I might be missing something about fb,am I?

I tried such thing as shop window ads,this doesn't work at all.
I 've even got one customer via yellow pages and none from shop window ads,

I hear you saying: word of mouth is the best, But I don't know what to do to get it rolling.I don't know anyone,Don't go to local gigs and shit.

Should I print out business cards and push em to everyone relevant? How exactly should I go about it? Visiting gigs,rehearsal spaces,bars?
I know it might be obvious things and half the answer is already here,

So,to put it simple the question is:

1.What is the future in online promotion?
2.How do I spread the word of mouth?

Some info about me: I have access to 2 studios at the moment,both are small
and limited in space,1 is solely for vocals/programming mostly used for local hip-hop & r'n'b "talents",and the second is more band friendly with some nice gear and real amps(more suitable for indie'ish bands though),and much more serious in general.So I wouldn't want to attach myself to any particular studio.I'd like to promote myself as freelancer.
I don't mind doing anything within audio field,be it R'n'B,indie,metal or voiceovers,the goal is to get more work.

I hear you saying: word of mouth is the best, But I don't know what to do to get it rolling.I don't know anyone,Don't go to local gigs and shit.

Just do your job well. Every time. No magic there. There's nothing you can do to "get it rolling", you just got to be good. It takes time and is a slow process, but every musician knows other musicians, and when they're looking for a producer or engineer, they will ask their friends. If you've done your job well, one musician will tell another that you're good at your job, and will recommend you.

Gotta get into that local scene. Not going to 'local gigs and shit' is a fairly big mistake for someone starting out. My bread and butter work for about 3 years was live sound; to expect to just jump straight into studio sound is a huge long shot. The live scene is where you build a rapport with the local artists which will constitute the foundation of your client base. The internet stuff is just supplementary to that, and will only really take off once your reputation is big enough for bands to bother sending stuff overseas to you, rather than the convenience of having it done within arm's reach.

Gotta get into that local scene. Not going to 'local gigs and shit' is a fairly big mistake for someone starting out. My bread and butter work for about 3 years was live sound; to expect to just jump straight into studio sound is a huge long shot. The live scene is where you build a rapport with the local artists which will constitute the foundation of your client base. The internet stuff is just supplementary to that, and will only really take off once your reputation is big enough for bands to bother sending stuff overseas to you, rather than the convenience of having it done within arm's reach.

i started as a live engineer too 11 years ago,
but developed my studio "career" parallel to that.
i got my first clients because im in a band thats
known around here, so one thing led to another.

so as ermz said : work on your local scene!
nobodys waiting for you out there, so take the chance and
fill out the hole thats in your scene - hopefully someone making fantastic
sounding records.

nowadays, bands i worked with recommend me to other bands,
although only 1 out of 10 bands decides to work pro,
the other 9 just dont wanna spend money (or thought
id do one song for 10&#8364;). thats the hardest part :
bands / musicians get excited about your work
but expect you to do it basically for free...
thats the bands you dont wanna work with.

i highly recommend to just work your ass off for a couple of years,
and DONT expect anything. word of mouth will follow if you deliver
really top notch work. if not youll know sooner or later.
my advice would be to do this full time or dont do it.
no compromise....

i do 4 bands a month either local or out of town and they are either eps or albums, best advice is, know your scene, hook your scene up, REP YOUR SCENE, record bands that will tour from your scene for free, because people will ask about their recordings, and they'll be like " DUDE thats our main guy he's so rad go record with them" well not for free but hook em up.

i do 4 bands a month either local or out of town and they are either eps or albums, best advice is, know your scene, hook your scene up, REP YOUR SCENE, record bands that will tour from your scene for free, because people will ask about their recordings, and they'll be like " DUDE thats our main guy he's so rad go record with them" well not for free but hook em up.

Such good advice, I'm in a local hardcore band myself and once I started actually promoting my studio / my services through those means the amount of work I'm getting well actually started to exist hah.

It's so important to build up good working relationships, and no matter what don't fuck over a band. They are ALWAYS right you need to keep them happy, because one person saying "oh don't work with X, he's a jerk and did this and yadayadayada, made me change my guitar tone etc." Stupid shit like that is what will ruin you. I've done a couple of mixes for a local band called Saviour, they tune to G and do not understand the concept of having to dial out a little more bass in their amps to accomidate the lower tuning. I suggested this, I got the usual response of "hey man thats my sound etc" I went sure thing dude and took a DI and reamped later.

Its about little personal battles like this, that really make or break your reputation and either makes people think that you are great to work with, or a jerk. There's got to be a balance though, because giving a band 100% of the control in that situation is the best way to a bad sounding record, but you cant be all my way or the highway either.

So to cap it off, go to local shows, meet bands, treat them really well and make them feel like they are rock stars and you're the humble engineer. Make their record sound good, and hopefully they will say to their friends in bands, that you're great to work with.

Profit!