Getting my guitar chops back by practicing shredding over the forthcoming...

Nagle

poser, not guitarist
Aug 19, 2002
Philadelphia, PA
bathotaxe.com
Getting my guitar chops back by practicing shredding over the forthcoming Belle and Sebastian album MEGA APPRECIATION for the following reasons:

1. Unlike 99.9% of pop/rock music coming out today that just sits in one key area, this music often moves around cadentially in jazzy ways making it more interesting and challenging to solo over. (i.e. it has interesting notes)

2. The band is tight and in the pocket (unlike all too many indie records) which makes playing along with it feel good.

3. It has songs at a variety of tempi.

4. The fact that every vocal melody on it is strong motivates me to play good melodies on guitar.

5. I love listening to it WITHOUT playing along. It and "Occasional Variations" by Milton Babbitt are my albums of the year so far. Definitely a 10/10. In light of everything else good about "Dear Catastrophe Waitress," it's use as a practice tool merely a small bonus to an already flawless album.

Besides that purely musical musical stuff, the lyrics rule and their interaction with the music is awesome at times - like when Murdoch sings the unbelievably silly line "I'd rather be in Tokyo, I'd rather listen to Thin Lizzy, yo" puncuated by the Thin Lizzy guitar lick.

I definitely think they're making their way into my list of musical favorites.

ive done ear training on trumpet to the following:
cindy blackman
cuong vu
3rd and the mortal
shape of despair
this mortal coil
friendly bears
basically anything with a melody i can try and latch onto. i need to move onto chords though.

i saw cuong vu play with the pat metheny grp a yr ago march (2002) and he did some of his own stuff- lots of electronics thrown in, and it was pretty interesting. still need to check out his album(s) though.

does joe stump still dress like 80s-era yngwie, only in more portly sizes?
yngwie.concerto.jpg

Also Greg:

Joe Stump's probably not going to tell you anything Terry Syrek didn't say 50 times before at one of the myriad shred seminars at NGSW. Maybe take lessons with Jon Finn instead?

i like jon finn alot so that also could very well be a possibility. or maybe i'll just take a guitar class. i have been keeping my strat in my office to practice during lunch when i get a chance.

jon finn is the only guy aside from maybe vai and satriani who has recorded an instrumental guitar album that i can actually listen to. his first cd is amazing.