Getting ready to send off this mix, final suggestions?

Jul 7, 2009
UPDATED MIX2: http://www.box.net/shared/qkg26t3nvy
Hey guys,

I'm finishing up this Tony Danza/Pysopus-esque mix. The vocals were a pain because they had two singers who literally do the entire song together, so its like double tracking vocals on a whole song, and their songs are like 15 mins. Very solid musicians though.

It's pretty much done, but any final suggestions?

http://www.box.net/shared/s0hb2o4c8m

I think I've got everything sitting in the mix pretty well but who knows.

Thanks!

The guitars are heavy in the low mids, coming off pretty cloudy. The cymbals are also way too quiet compared to the drum shells.

Is it live drum or program? the guitar sounds okay to me, the Bass guitar is too thin, and vocal seems pushed back too much I guess. Just my opinion hehe.

Hey guys, thanks for the input. I'll mess with the low mids and overheads today. The issue with the bass is the guy is playing 90% of the guitar parts which are on the high strings, so there really ISN'T much bass... I'll see what I can do though for sure. And I have no idea what style of music this is hahaha.

Thanks for the input!

Trevor

P.S. Any suggestions on what I can do to fill out the bass since he's not really playing fundamentals? I need someway to thicken it up without clouding the mix or being too loud. They wanted it like a third guitar, necrophagist-style. Obviously, I'm nowhere near even coming close to being maybe similarly slightly close to Christopher Brandes haha. I'll post an updated mix in a few hours.

Hey guys, thanks for the input. I'll mess with the low mids and overheads today. The issue with the bass is the guy is playing 90% of the guitar parts which are on the high strings, so there really ISN'T much bass... I'll see what I can do though for sure. And I have no idea what style of music this is hahaha.

Thanks for the input!

Trevor

P.S. Any suggestions on what I can do to fill out the bass since he's not really playing fundamentals? I need someway to thicken it up without clouding the mix or being too loud. They wanted it like a third guitar, necrophagist-style. Obviously, I'm nowhere near even coming close to being maybe similarly slightly close to Christopher Brandes haha. I'll post an updated mix in a few hours.

Some people put some sub-bass synths doing fundamentals just to keep the low end heavy, but not in an obvious way, normally they would go in sync with the bass but if the bass isn't doing much of actual "bass" then it's more difficult to make it fit

Some people put some sub-bass synths doing fundamentals just to keep the low end heavy, but not in an obvious way, normally they would go in sync with the bass but if the bass isn't doing much of actual "bass" then it's more difficult to make it fit

Thanks man, is this better?

http://www.box.net/shared/u940v3rt5o

Gave it some more air as well as louder overheads, removed some mids in the guitars, and I boosted bass and EQ'd it a bit different. I lowered the thunderous toms and changed around my mastering chain a bit too.

The guitars and bass sound a lot better now, but what's with those drums? They SOUND programmed which I assume you don't want. The crashes are a dead give away. They are either programmed or have the wrong comp setting and are gated on the back end. (Which I doubt) ...Regardless if the drums are programmed or not, it needs more natural sounding samples.

They're programmed but I'm using SSD and I've never had a problem with them sounding real... hmmm... suggestions? I've already done millisecond adjustments for right hand and adjusted velocities on fills and such. Is it the overheads?? Maybe they need some verb??

EDIT: Yep, took off the OH compression and added some major verb. Made it 10x better in the OH department. Thanks man. I'll post an updated.

EDIT2: Even better, the first bars you heard, the fake sounding crash part, had all velocities at 127 instead of 115 like everything else. Problem solved.

Still sounding kind of fake on that china and the toms. Maybe a darker room verb and some tape sat would help?

Dang I actually have a dark verb on the OH and toms, as well as tape saturation from CamelCrusher on the toms... aksjfknadgnalsnflansf well thanks for the help guys I'll see what I can do.