Getting that Studio Softness? - short trivium clip & a couple of questions.

kev

Im guybrush threepwood
Jun 16, 2004
Bristol, United Kingdom
www.myspace.com
Yo nigga's!

Recently been trying to 'clone' if you like, the crusade off of the latest same-titled trivium album. Wondering if im heading in the right direction.

www.omissiononline.com/Mix1.mp3.

See how you like/hate it. I know the guitars are a little harsh too compared to the original, more death metal orientated.

My main problem (other than shabby mixing) is actually softening the whole sound up to coincide with professional records. I've tried a lot of compression on the whole track, wondering whether it is down to this, compression on instruments indvidually or something different again.
It never seems to do the job.

Cheers for any advice & help you boyz can give, just wondering what the magic is!

Kev

oh my bad lol.

i would say, take some top end off the entire mix to make it less harsh, also you may want to lower the guitars in a the 1k-4k area. i'm not actually sure if this will make it sound more like the record, but that's one way of doing it.

That happens to me too kev, I'd like to see everyone sharing their own advice :)
Besides what you refer as "softness" I've noticed I end up with too much highs ( think 8-12K) in my stuff, then A/B and put myself into a depression lol