Getting work starting out..

Cacoph0ny

Feb 23, 2008
I'm just starting out offering mixing & mastering services & it's really hard to get clients with no word of mouth or established name. I've been posting on forums, craigslist offering FREE services but still no bite. I just want stuff to mix! Anyone have any advice for getting word out there?

Thanks

They way I got started was just using the contacts I made from being in a band and playing in the area music scene. I'm in the Dallas, TX area. I called up some of the band guys I know and offered to do a demo song for free. I only chose the bands that I knew had a good song and were tight as musicians. That way I could tell them which song I'd do for free and it helped me open the eyes of other bands that I could help them out. When I started booking for money I started out charging $100 per song. I wasnt making any real money....and it was more of an investment in advertising. After I had some good songs from different genres, I made some demo discs that had my contact info and studio name, logo, etc. Part of the deal with all the bands I recorded was that I could use a song of my choice to put on a disc and pass out for free at shows, etc. I spent many hours passing out demo discs at shows. Just getting the name out. I still don't have the name I'd like to have...but now if you ask someone in the music scene in Dallas or to the east of Dallas, they've probably at least heard of my studio. It just takes time and participation. I think anyway.