giant bells

joeymusicguy

Sep 21, 2006
indiana
www.myspace.com
so im updating my virtual instruments / sample libraries and just realized i lack anything for large church bells / deep tonal bells with loud attack and lots of sustain

like, "for whom the bell tolls" or "wherever i may roam", or just a regular church type bells

i have east west symphonic orchestra with the bells in the perc section, but they're like 3 octaves higher than what i really need

does anyone have any suggestions for any library packs that include something to fill this gap?

Can't help you right now (at work) but I might have some choice samples at home. I'll check this thread later and if you haven't found anything I'll see what I can dig out for you

Miroslav has a small selection of church bells.

But they may be in the upper octaves like the EastWest deal.

How big of a range are you needing?

In EWQL and Miroslav, those aren't church bells. They're called bells, but they're more commonly known as tubular bells, or chimes, not to be confused with church bells. Church bells are a totally different animal altogether.

As for where to find them, I've gotten lucky searching around and found a few usable church bell tolls, but nothing in a full octave range. I've never come across that, commercial or otherwise.

I hope you find the ginormous balls you're looking for.

:lol: couldn't resist.

kenobi_011.jpg

These aren't the balls you're looking for.

Get a nice (but very high SPL limit) mic and a portable recorder, go to a big church and ask to go up into the bell tower. Bring earplugs and ear protectors or your ears will be absolutely dead. Get them to ring the bells one by one, a few times each and bingo you have your bell samples

Get a nice (but very high SPL limit) mic and a portable recorder, go to a big church and ask to go up into the bell tower. Bring earplugs and ear protectors or your ears will be absolutely dead. Get them to ring the bells one by one, a few times each and bingo you have your bell samples

that would be awesome. what better samples than the real deal.

on a similar note - I don't think you'd need to be up in the tower, you could probably just be rather close to a church, on the ground, and wait for the chimes to occur with a directional mic. not sure if it would pick up the bassy depth to them though.

that would be awesome. what better samples than the real deal.

on a similar note - I don't think you'd need to be up in the tower, you could probably just be rather close to a church, on the ground, and wait for the chimes to occur with a directional mic. not sure if it would pick up the bassy depth to them though.

I'd be thinking ambient noise could be a problem there. If you could get to a country church on a still day it could be ok