Gig in Rijssen

Beyond

May 13, 2002
Bonn
Visit site
Now...how was the gig in Rijssen?

Thought it was good. Much of the new stuff, which I find is good. Heavy and melodic though. Nice Venue with a fabulous acoustic and a good Rock Cafe´ for the Aftershow...

greetings Beyond

yes! there were people from the forum going! Come on! playlist if possible if it wasn't the same ;) Crowd behaviour etc
hmmmm?

Hi!

Well, my brother went to the gig at the rather small venue in Vosselar the day before. In opposite to this, the Lucky was quite big and I thought it was flame new! A complex of several disco areas, with one main-room, which had a capacity of about 800 to 1000, I guess. All was very nice, and Chrismas ornamentics and lights were in the room, and hanging from the balcony.
Nice stage with fantastic lights, which proved to be good for an Anathema-show.
First three songs were of the AFDTE album, following up a classic intro with a female voice. then came Judgement Songs, I ´think no.2,3,4 (don´t know all the titles, sorry). It finished with the bridge which is going over to that "syntie-song", of which i also don´t recall the name of, but would like to have heard.
Then came Eternity and the crowd waked up a bit of the slower tracks from the beginning.
Then they played some faster songs of AFTDE (which they covered completely that evening) and Judgement of which they played (roughly) the first-half. (perhaps someone else can give a setlist). Not to forget "Shroud of false" as a highlight. Personally I had the impression at that time, the crowd liked the newer songs, but were shy with applause. What I missed was Anathema interpreting the new things a bit more emotional, but it seems they were also bit shy with the crowd, which stood in a not sold out , but well filled venue. Then the songs mixed up a bit with the Alternative 4 and Eternity stuff, and probably one older song, and the mood began, with continuing consumption of some beers, to rise. Finally they offered a cover-version of Pink-Floyds "Comfortably Numb", in which Danny showed a fabulous guitar solo and Anathema a great finish of their set.
All in All: Great Sound with a powerful John Douglas and Vincent at his best. danny came up in the second half, in the beginning one guitar solo and some picks came from tape, which i was a bit surprised of. Setlist Great, rocked and was very emotional, but could also be topped yet.
But my point is: Mood in the crowd, and mood within Anathema could easily be better, if the band would give a more emotional performance on stage. For me, it belongs to the songs.

But anyway, it was good, the songs alone are KICKING and ALIVE!!!

Thanks Anathema,

and greetings from Bonn/Germany,

Beyond

Ehh... There's nothing wrong with Anathema, if the crowd is wild, Anathema goes wild as well, we've seen that before. Oh and Danny surely doesn't use any tapes, I'm dead sure about that. He DOES use samples though that he just recorded 5 seconds before, I've seen him doing such stuff friday and sunday during for example the quiet part in A Dying Wish. No tapes used.
There's indeed one bummer though: they DID use a tape in the chorus of Release, but that's only for the backing vocals and not for guitar, I wonder why Danny didn't just sing those parts, like he did a year ago in Biebob and also at Graspop if I'm not mistaken...

Yeah I was surprised by that too, especially because we didn't get it in Tilburg or Vosselaar and they used the same playlist for the 4 gigs, so I think he's wrong... Maybe he means Fragile Dreams. He got Angelica wrong too (Eternity as he calls it)
I won't bother to hear Shroud of False live though :eek:

Hi!

they played Shroud of False and they played Fragile Dreams. I´m definitely sure about that.
The chorus -right!- was played from tape, and in one song in the beginning Danny missed out a short guitar solo. It was the first or second song.

Greetings,

Beyond

P.S. i wanna see ANATHEMA wild!!! Maybe next Graspop and on tour next year...

Shroud of False!? :eek:
And I'm a bit confused about that guitar tape thing... If you mean the intro of Release (the first song at the gig) that's also being used as outro: keep an eye on Les, he takes it over there, cos Danny and Vinnie are playing the other part of the outro

As you see, I've watched them closely :p
Yet I haven't figured out which chords to use in the heavy part of Judgement :mad: And I've found this tab for it but that can't be right, I can't just skip strings if you know what I mean :mad:
|--------|----------------------------------------|
|-6-/-8--|--8--11--8--13---8----8--11--8--16--15--|
|-3-/-5--|--5--8---5--10---5----5--8---5--13--12--|
|-0---0--|--0--0---0---0---0----0--0---0--0---0---|

Originally posted by Forlorn Hope
Shroud of False!? :eek:
And I'm a bit confused about that guitar tape thing... If you mean the intro of Release (the first song at the gig) that's also being used as outro: keep an eye on Les, he takes it over there, cos Danny and Vinnie are playing the other part of the outro
there was no shroud of false (alas):cry: and release has some sampled backing vocals in the chorus at the moment because im too scared to do backing vocals, ha ha. danny plays the rythmic a minor intro and les plays it on the outro cos danny and vinny are doing some top Murray/Smith soloing.:headbang:

John plays really hard and I love that! He wasted at least 6-7 drumsticks last winter at the Salonika gig!!! Could you imagine how many he would need if he played for Slayer???