Gilla Bruja - Six Fingered Jesus

dill_the_devil

OneMetal.com Music Editor
Gilla Bruja - Six Fingered Jesus
2003 - Retribute Records
By Phil Whitehouse

Go to the Retribute Records website

UK-based mentalists Gilla Bruja originally appeared on the metal radar with the release of Tooth And Nail - an interesting and extreme but somewhat unfocused and definitely under-produced mix of Iron Monkey-esque sludge, Pissing Razors-style thrash and hints of the odd bit of industrial in the mix. Personally, I could take it or leave it - the ideas were sound, but the execution was somewhat lacking, as though the members were stretching themselves beyond their means. Have matters been amended on album number two?

Well, yes and no. To some extent, Six Fingered Jesus is a more tightly-focused album. The songs seem to focus more on mid-to-slow tempo sludge rather than going for thrash velocities (although A Season To Whither does build to a powerful, rapid-fire ending), and the industrial influence this time round seems restricted to the odd bit of sampling adding a disconcerting atmosphere in the backgrounds, interludes, intros and outros to the songs. However, the production issues I had with the original still remain (the guitars sound very tinny and scratchy - almost 'recorded on a practice amp'-esque), and the songs themselves occasionally sound unfinished - Spoiler in particular sounds like one riff extended to form the basis of an entire song with the only change in structure or tempo coming at the drummer's whim.

The vocals are as intriguingly schizophrenic as ever - Johnny Morrow esque lung-wrangling one minute, cookie-monster growls the next - and as musicians the band are clearly competent. It just seems that still, the band haven't quite solidified their musical vision. Perhaps there are too many different influences at work behind the band, and too much compromise in the song-writing has led to a melting-pot approach to the music... who knows. This doesn't make the album or songs unlistenable though - each is enjoyable, heavy enough to warrant some severe headbanging, with hooks that lodge in the skull - but it does frustrate somewhat. With an increased sense of direction of purpose, Gilla Bruja could rise from an interesting diversion to a serious prospect in extreme music.

I've got my fingers crossed for album number three, guys...

6.5/10