GLENN TIPTON: Everything RICHIE FAULKNER Came Up With For 'Redeemer Of Souls' Was 'Ju

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
In a brand new interview with Premier Guitar, JUDAS PRIEST's Glenn Tipton was asked if he was concerned how the new band dynamic with new guitarist Richie Faulkner would impact the writing process for the group's new album, "Redeemer Of Souls". "We hadn't worked with Richie before on a writing level, so the first couple of things he presented to us were quite crucial," he said. "It was amazing, because everything Richie came up with was just so PRIEST, and it evolved from that point on. For the first time ever, we actually wrote on the road. Richie would go down in the afternoon, set up his recording rig, and kick stuff out. When we had time off, we sat down and started piecing everything together. What we normally do is write our own ideas — including Rob's [Halford] lyrics and vocals — pool them, and before you know it, it takes shape into songs."For his part, Faulkner said that he didn't have to adapt his own writing style to fit the PRIEST mold. "I never think you should limit yourself in what you do just because it might not sound like you want it to," he said. "Put it on the table and see if it floats. Sometimes it doesn't — maybe it's not quite right, or another idea is better. But we all put forward everything we had. I'd sometimes think, 'This doesn't sound like a PRIEST riff,' but then the band would give it the JUDAS PRIEST treatment. It's surprising how much you can take something you don't necessarily think sounds like PRIEST, and have it become that."He added: "Growing up, I'd look to bands like PRIEST when learning how to write a song — that's how these guys taught me back in the day. So when I came into the band, I'd already done a master class in writing JUDAS PRIEST songs. They're what I've wanted to write since I first heard heavy metal.""Redeemer Of Souls" marks PRIEST's first release with Faulkner, who was most recently guitarist in the backing band for Lauren Harris (daughter of IRON MAIDEN bassist Steve Harris).Faulkner joined PRIEST as the replacement for original PRIEST guitarist Kenneth "K.K." Downing, who announced his retirement from the band in April 2011."Dragonaut" full song:
"March Of The Damned" full song:
"Redeemer Of Souls" full song:
judaspriestredeemberfinalcd.jpg

More...