Bloopy

Feb 10, 2008
New Zealand
www.bloopy.org
RULES:
- Post up to 20 releases (10 minimum) and number your list. Your 1st pick gets 20 points, 2nd gets 19 etc. etc., 20th gets 1 point. Feel free to list more albums, but they won't count as picks.

- Metal(lic) releases only. Meaning actual metal, plus anything you thought was too metallic to list in the non-metal polls. Not all the hard/prog rock that you'd include when making non-metal lists. Use some individual discretion so there's no need to police it.

- EPs, demos etc. are eligible too, so long as released 1970-79.

- If you're so fried that you can't rank your list, then each of your picks gets 10.5 points because math.

Ptar.gif

We've basically polled every other year and it's a while since the last thread was started, so it's time we did this. Why 20 when we usually do a top 10? Because we didn't do the 70s years individually. Also, a couple of bands from Birmingham UK could take up 10 spots alone.

The RYM Chart is a bit narrow for the purpose, but if you expand it to releases with heavy metal as secondary then arguably it becomes too broad (but check that out anyway).

I'd suggest sticking 90% to releases that are in Encyclopaedia Metallum's list and have heavy metal as (at least) secondary on RYM. Which allows a bit of room for anything excluded from your non-metal lists that doesn't quite meet that criteria. A few deviations here and there aren't gonna ruin anyone's day.

Deadline is in a few months or whatever.

Last edited:
I thought we did top metal of the 70's as a whole a while back? Was it only the 80's?

Guess it was the 80's
Ok well here one for the 70's

1. Motorhead – Overkill
2. Black Sabbath – Black Sabbath
3. Deep Purple – Deep Purple In Rock
4. Buffalo – Only Want You For Your Body
5, Judas Priest – Killing Machine
6. Black Jack – Demo 1979
7. Buffalo – Average Rock N Roller
8. Black Sabbath – Paranoid
9. Deep Purple – Machine Head
10. Buffalo – Mother’s Choice
11. Black Sabbath – Master Of Reality
12. Taste – Tickle Your Fancy
13. Quiet Riot – Quiet Riot
14. Motorhead – Bomber
15. Quiet Riot – Quiet Riot II
16. Judas Priest – Sad Wings Of Destiny
17. Thin Lizzy – Jailbreak
18. Taste – Knights Of Love
19. Judas Priest – Unleashed In The East
20. Rainbow - Rising

Reactions: Bloopy
Here is my list:

1. Judas Priest – Killing Machine
2. Accept - Accept
3. Scorpions - Lovedrive
4. Judas Priest - Sin After Sin
5. Deep Purple – Machine Head
6. Scorpions - Virgin Killer
7. Blue Öyster Cult - Secret Treaties
8. UFO - No Heavy Petting
9. Kiss - Destroyer
10. Blue Öyster Cult - Blue Öyster Cult
11. UFO - Lights Out
12. Saxon - Saxon
13. Black Sabbath - Sabotage
14. Blue Öyster Cult - Agents of Fortune
15. Black Sabbath - Technical Ecstasy
16. Deep Purple – Deep Purple In Rock
17. Black Sabbath - Never Say Die!
18. Deep Purple – Fireball
19. Kiss - Love Gun
20. Riot - Rock City

Reactions: Bloopy
1. Judas Priest- Sad Wings of Destiny
2. Black Sabbath- Paranoid
3. Black Sabbath- Sabotage
4. Black Sabbath- Master of Reality
5. Judas Priest- Sin After Sin
6. Black Sabbath- Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
7. Black Sabbath- Black Sabbath
8. Motörhead- Overkill
9. Motörhead- Motörhead
10. Budgie- Budgie
11. Deep Purple- Deep Purple in Rock
12. Judas Priest- Stained Class
13. Buffalo- Volcanic Rock
14. Scorpions- Taken By Force
15. Legend- Fröm the Fjörds
16. Rainbow- Rising
17. Sorcery- Sinister Soldiers
18. Motörhead- Bomber
19. Judas Priest- Killing Machine/Hellbent for Leather
20. Scorpions- Lovedrive

Not trying to pretend the other bands of the 70s were on the level of peak Sabbath and Priest

i think i will strictly stick to albums which have metal as a secondary on RYM, but please let me know if there are any albums on RYM which should be tagged as metal but inexplicably aren't.

i think i will strictly stick to albums which have metal as a secondary on RYM, but please let me know if there are any albums on RYM which should be tagged as metal but inexplicably aren't.
The genre votes are just on the wrong side of the fence for Sir Lord Baltimore - Sir Lord Baltimore and Flower Travellin' Band - Made in Japan but they're definitely good chow for this.

Apparently I'm the only one who hears much metal in Bodkin - Bodkin. I actually tried submitting them to Encyclopaedia Metallum to see what they thought of it. Sure, they're doing the Uriah Heep organ thing and maybe none of the songs are as metal influenced as Gypsy, but pretty much the whole Bodkin album gets me banging my head as opposed to just one song. I left them off my non-metal list for '72 so I'll throw them in here regardless.

Reactions: CiG
1. Black Sabbath - Vol. 4
2. Black Sabbath - Master of Reality
3. Buffalo - Volcanic Rock
4. Black Sabbath - Paranoid
5. Judas Priest - Sin After Sin
6. Deep Purple - Machine Head
7. Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny
8. Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
9. Rainbow - Rising
10. Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
11. Legend - Fröm the Fjörds
12. Dust - Hard Attack
13. Motörhead - Overkill
14. Deep Purple - Deep Purple in Rock
15. Budgie - Never Turn Your Back on a Friend
16. Scorpions - Taken by Force
17. Uriah Heep - Salisbury
18. Motörhead - Bomber
19. Flower Travelling Band - Made in Japan
20. Rainbow - Long Live Rock 'n' Roll

A few good EP's/demos:
Iron Maiden - The Soundhouse Tapes
Angel Witch - 1978 Demo
Cirith Ungol - The Orange Album
Def Leppard - The Def Leppard E.P.
Mythra - The Death & Destiny

Where da Satori at. Actually quite a few of the bands you had "metallic concerns" about missed the cut too. :D It's amusing that we were ever worried about not having enough to choose from here.

I was never worried about there being enough to choose from and there were many albums I had to leave off. Just because something was too metal to be included in the non-metal polls doesn't mean it was good enough to be included here among legitimate masterpieces.

Also I was never the hugest Satori fan to begin with (don't even particularly think it's all that metal) and always thought Made in Japan was way better. In fact I prefer every other record by them over Satori.

i’m more surprised by the lack of stained class, you not much of a fan cig?

idk about everyone else but i’m gonna be counting the pentagram comps as eligible.

Stained Class only just didn't make it, it'd be #21. As much as it rules I had to start chopping shit based on how often I reach for them. :cry:

A top 20 instead of the typical top 10 didn't fucking help much, this one got tough towards the end.