GMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 1997

TechnicalBarbarity

-TheNightsBane-
Sep 23, 2010
The Capital of Pretentiousness
RYM ALBUM LIST
RYM EP LIST

Reminder of the rules:
- please submit at least *5* releases. But just remember, real men vote at 10.
- first place in your rankings gets 10 points, 2nd gets 9, etcetc, 10th gets 1.
- feel free to post more than 10, but only the top 10 will get points.
- feel free to post less than 10, the same scoring will apply.
- feel free not to rank your picks, in which case all ten picks will get 5.5 points.
- if you're so much of a dick that you have to post more than 10 unranked picks, only the first 10 will count. In other words, go back to rule #3

please try to submit your lists by February 18th

Py7fp1s.jpg

What a great year!

Ulver, Destroyer 666, Gorgoroth, Arckanum, Nagelfar, Lord Belial, Kampfar, Hades, Aeternus, Crown of Thorns, Eucharist, Obtained Enslavement, Osculum Infame, Graveland, Sorhin, Absu, Helheim, Niden Div. 187, Shub Niggurath, Order of the Ebon Hand, Summoning (Nightshade Forests), Molested, etc

Reminder that we included Dol Guldur in the 1996 thread (it’s listed in the 97 rym link) so don’t include it here.

btw that Symphony X album was originally released in 96(as discogs and MA indicate), not 97. So it wont be counted here.

That would have been great to know when we did the 1996 thread. It would have been my #1 for that year hands down. Notice how not a single person voted for it that year.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/threads/gmd-yearly-polls-master-thread.1133987/

In cases like this we've counted it in the other year anyway, so people have the chance to vote for it

1) Metallica - Reload

oh hell no

Yeah I agree it should be included here. As that is what we’ve done previously. Not that I’d have it anywhere near my list. Unless I did dishonourable mentions :p

prelim ...

Megadeth - Cryptic Writings
Testament - Demonic
Nemesis - Nemesis
Ulver - Nattens madrigal
Voivod - Phobos
Gorgoroth - Under the Sign of Hell
Hexenhaus - Dejavoodoo
Necrophobic - Darkside
Destroyer 666 - Unchain the Wolves
Stratovarius - Visions
Absu - The Third Storm of Cythraul
Sacramentum - The Coming of Chaos
Deceased - Fearless Undead Machines

bunch of other stuff that i might check out/revisit but will most likely not make my list...
Sadus - Elements of Anger
Martyr - Hopeless Hopes
Whiplash - Sit Stand Kneel Prey

Dismember - Dismember
Septic Flesh - Ophidian Wheel
Enslaved - Eld
Vital Remains - Forever Underground
Nocturnal Breed - Aggressor
Razor - Decibels
Guillotine - Under the Guillotine
October 31 - The Fire waits You
Neuraxis - Imagery

That would have been great to know when we did the 1996 thread. It would have been my #1 for that year hands down. Notice how not a single person voted for it that year.
that''s not my fault. You guys should all be familiar enough with the albums you're voting for to know when they were originally released before voting. Also there have been times where we havent counted albums that were listed on RYM in the incorrect year. Plain and simple, the album was not originaly released in 1997 so it will not be counted in this thread

If I remember, someone tried to vote for it in the 1996 thread and they were told it was a 1997 release which would have dissuaded others from voting for it.

If I remember, someone tried to vote for it in the 1996 thread and they were told it was a 1997 release which would have dissuaded others from voting for it.

Yeah this has happened in the past (with albums you actually like) and we ended up counting it in the other year anyway. There were no complaints, it was a fair solution.

1996 it's saying Japan only on discogs, it still claims a 1997 overall release. Other sources say 1997 in Japan as well.

... i dont really care about what mistakes other users made. Were not including an album that was released in 1996 in a 1997 thread. We did the same thing with Whiplash and numerous other albums. We just talked about this same thing a few weeks ago(@no country for old wainds) so no point wasting time again. Its just not going to happen

prove that it was released in 1996. Should I trust MA or the band's own website?

In any case it should still be counted this year since it wasn't counted before.

Forgot Grand Belial's Key from my list. M-A is saying Mocking the Philanthropist was first released on vinyl in 1997 and then on CD in 1998. Can anyone confirm? Rym says 1998, but seems to be the most unreliable source.

Forgot Grand Belial's Key from my list. M-A is saying Mocking the Philanthropist was first released on vinyl in 1997 and then on CD in 1998. Can anyone confirm? Rym says 1998, but seems to be the most unreliable source.
Discogs has it at 97(two different vinyl pressings were released that year) with the CD being released in 98. So yeah it should be good here.

Reactions: Phylactery

you also forgot goat horns (understandable if you used RYM where it's excluded from the charts lel)

oh and welowie also

edit 2: another excluded one is legion of doom - for those of the blood

Last edited:
Reactions: Phylactery