GMD Social Poll: Top Ten Films of 1966

CiG

Relaxer
May 22, 2015
W.A.
rateyourmusic.com
source.gif

RYM film chart

Deadline is NOVEMBER 29th. If you need an extension just say so and it will absolutely be considered. This is usually just a soft deadline to make sure everybody doesn't become complacent.

REMEMBER for those of you who haven't seen many films from this year or in general, you can always submit lists as small as only having 5 submissions.

Rules:

- Please submit at least 5 films.
- First place in your rankings gets 10 points, 2nd gets 9, etcetc, 10th gets 1.
- Feel free to post more than 10, but only the top 10 will get points.
- Feel free to post less than 10, the same scoring will apply.
- Feel free not to rank your picks, in which case all ten picks will get 5.5 points.
- If you're so much of a dick that you have to post more than 10 unranked picks, the maths will be worked out.

Reactions: Bloopy
There's a highly acclaimed movie from this year called DoomSword (well, close enough) starring Toshiro Mifune? I have to see that.

Reactions: CiG
Not my year lads. Enjoy.

giphy.gif

1. Night Games (Mai Zetterling)
2. Kill, Baby... Kill! (Mario Bava)
3. Torn Curtain (Alfred Hitchcock)
4. Joë Caligula (José Bénazéraf)
5. The Diabolical Dr. Z (Jess Franco)
6. Persona (Ingmar Bergman)
7. Cul-de-sac (Roman Polanski)
8. Daisies (Věra Chytilová)
9. Mademoiselle (Tony Richardson)
10. Violence at Noon (Nagisa Oshima)

L'enfer sur la plage
Massacre Time
Blowup
The Nun

I mean, Martin Heidegger gave his Der Spiegel interview in 1966, and Gregory Bateson gave his lecture "From Versailles to Cybernetics" that same year. Oh, and Foucault published Les mots et les choses! So, not a totally obscure year. :D

Well I did it, I watched The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. I enjoyed the style of it and the depiction of the absurdity of war, but didn't get a whole lot else out of it. Enough to list it in a year where I won't have seen more than 10 though.

1. Lord Love a Duck
2. Берегись автомобиля (Beware of the Car)
3. Let's Kill Uncle
4. Fahrenheit 451
5. Trans-Europ-Express
6. Torn Curtain
7. Blow-Up
8. Circus of Fear
9. Seconds
10. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Watched a bunch I hadn't seen because, you know, fun (after not watching any movies for several weeks). Invoking the IMDb year on Trans-Europ-Express. There's at least one reference in Google Books that seems to support it. Must be a case of some low-key screenings predating the documented 'premiere' event that the director spoke at.

The Good, The Bad and the Ugly
Persona
The Battle of Algiers
How the Grinch Stole Christmas
Django

Top to get more than 3 :lol: What's the must-see rec's? And does anyone actually enjoy Balthasar?