GMD Social Poll: Top Ten Films of 1984

CiG

Wondrous apparition provided by magician
May 22, 2015
W.A.
rateyourmusic.com
f133.gif

RYM film chart

Deadline is JUNE 16th. If you need an extension just say so and it will absolutely be considered. This is usually just a soft deadline to make sure everybody doesn't become complacent.

REMEMBER for those of you who haven't seen many films from this year or in general, you can always submit lists as small as only having 5 submissions.

Rules:

- Please submit at least 5 films.
- First place in your rankings gets 10 points, 2nd gets 9, etcetc, 10th gets 1.
- Feel free to post more than 10, but only the top 10 will get points.
- Feel free to post less than 10, the same scoring will apply.
- Feel free not to rank your picks, in which case all ten picks will get 5.5 points.
- If you're so much of a dick that you have to post more than 10 unranked picks, the maths will be worked out.

Awwww yeah, what a great fuckin' year.

giphy.gif

1. Ghostbusters
2. Paris, Texas
3. The Terminator
4. A Nightmare on Elm St.
5. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter
6. The Toxic Avenger
7. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
8. Gremlins
9. Amadeus
10. Conan the Destroyer

Last edited:
three things i really need to rewatch for this are once upon a time in america, amadeus and the neverending story. i used to fucking love the latter two so much but i've no idea how they'll hold up now.

something very under the radar i'd recommend off the bat is perfect strangers (also known as blind alley), which is a super weird sleazy larry motherfucking cohen (satan rest his soul) flick about a gangster assigned to assassinate a fucking baby who may have witnessed (and later recall) a previous hit. it only has 23 RYM ratings and less than 300 IMDB ratings and isn't even one of the 15 most seen cohen movies on these sites so we're talking ultra obscure here, but some who have seen it consider it among his greatest works.

Reactions: CiG
1. La femme publique (Andrzej Zulawski)
2. The Sexual Story of O (Jess Franco)
3. Crimes of Passion (Ken Russell)
4. Death Warmed Up (David Blyth)
5. What Have I Done to Deserve This? (Pedro Almodóvar)
6. Dune (David Lynch)
7. Fear City (Abel Ferrara)
8. Night Has a Thousand Desires (Franco)
9. Next of Kin (Atom Egoyan)
10. Farewell to the Ark (Shuji Terayama)

A Nightmare on Elm Street
Body Double
The Company of Wolves
Murder Rock
Lilian (La virgen pervertida)
Let Me Tell Ya 'Bout White Chicks
Starman
The Toxic Avenger
Black Devil Doll from Hell
The Black Room

Last edited:
Anybody who enjoys Clint Eastwood should check out Tightrope if they haven't already.

Awesome underrated neo-noir detective slasher film set in New Orleans and even though Eastwood isn't credited as the director Richard Tuggle is, he took over and directed most of the film because he felt Tuggle was working too slowly, so the film has an Eastwood directing style too.

474919.jpg

Reactions: RadicalThrasher