GMD Social Poll: Top Ten Films of 1986

CiG

Wondrous apparition provided by magician
May 22, 2015
W.A.
rateyourmusic.com
57bb6a3a5c4645aedfe1b50480013957.gif

RYM film chart

Deadline is AUGUST. If you need an extension just say so and it will absolutely be considered. This is usually just a soft deadline to make sure everybody doesn't become complacent.

REMEMBER for those of you who haven't seen many films from this year or in general, you can always submit lists as small as only having 5 submissions.

Rules:

- Please submit at least 5 films.
- First place in your rankings gets 10 points, 2nd gets 9, etcetc, 10th gets 1.
- Feel free to post more than 10, but only the top 10 will get points.
- Feel free to post less than 10, the same scoring will apply.
- Feel free not to rank your picks, in which case all ten picks will get 5.5 points.
- If you're so much of a dick that you have to post more than 10 unranked picks, the maths will be worked out.

1. Malcolm
2. Big Trouble in Little China
3. Crocodile Dundee
4. F/X
5. Highlander
6. Cobra
7. Wildcats
8. Iron Eagle
9. Labyrinth
10. Crossroads

Reactions: CiG
10) From Beyond (Dir. Stuart Gordon)
This guy was into some weird shit.

From-Beyond-1986-4.jpg

compares unfavorably to re-animator of course, but still a classic.

9) Terrorizers (Dir. Edward Yang)
I was inspired by Japanese suspense literature.

ThumbJpeg.ashx

best 'hyperlink cinema' ever made? most alienating city film? maybe yang's best, which is to say one of the best period. dude completely mastered the form.

8) Manhunter (Dir. Michael Mann)
We don't invent our natures, they're issued to us with our lungs and pancreas and everything else.

screenhub-movie-manhunter.png

i dunno if cox is the best lecter, but this is certainly the best movie containing lecter. one of the key films on the transformative power of images, a better version of peeping tom. nobody in the history of movies has a more unsettling presence than tom noonan. i love the guy but i don't ever want to be anywhere near him.

7) The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (Dir. Tobe Hooper)
It's a dog eat dog world and from where I sit there just ain't enough damn dogs!

TCSM2.jpeg

the night after i watched this i had a nightmare that i was being held captive by a texan rapist, and then another that i was driving a truck transporting bodies across the border. movies never give me nightmares, but this hall of mirrors for reagan's USA (AKA "the devil's playground") is a truly mad, hellish place. it's basically tcm: the new batch in how it spins its predecessor into a hysterical, obnoxious, deranged satire--as the ol' saying goes: horror is when you chainsaw your finger, comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and wear your coworker's face to a hot date with the biggest meanest rat.

6) Little Shop of Horrors (Dir. Frank Oz)
I'm just a mean green mother from outer space and I'm bad!

DentistNitrous.png

director's cut supremacy of course. the rhythms and staging in this cut are mesmerising, the thing gets extraordinarily bleak and grotesque without ever obfuscating the graceful pop simplicity.

5) Blue Velvet (Dir. David Lynch)
You put your disease in me.

blue-velvet-jeffrey-closet.jpg

not one of my favourite lynches, it's a little too simplistic in its ironies and contrasts and you can feel his hand in it a little too much, i dunno if i can swallow laura dern talking about fucking robins or whatever anymore. still, it has plenty of what makes him one of my cinema gods.

4) Bad Blood (Dir. Leos Carax)
You need to feed the eyes for your dreams.

aqyjqjsyh71aarf5zl9k.jpg

one of those cinephile final bosses that completely ignores any notions of conventional narrative in favour of exploding its creator's head across the screen right in the middle of his most fevered, romantic, obsessive dream. unhinged to the verge of madness, it's one of the great monoliths of filmed feeling and transcends any intellectual reservations one might attempt to impose upon it. probably better to get holy motors and lovers on the bridge watched before you even attempt to tackle it though.

3) Combat Shock (Dir. Buddy Giovinazzo)
You're not looking for a job... you're waiting for the world to end...

combatshock12.jpg

like watching eraserhead while suffering PTSD and dying of a heroin overdose.

2) Down by Law (Dir. Jim Jarmusch)
I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!

down-by-law-01.jpg

dunno if any director in the last 50 years used black and white better than jimmy, i wish he did it more. probably my favourite prison break movie 'cause it's really just a three-man deadpan buddy comedy starring tom waits, john lurie and roberto benigni, about as bizarre a combination of actors as you'll find. incidentally i found out the other week that fishing with john has a sequel called painting with john released last year, what the fuck?

1) The Fly (Dir. David Cronenberg)
I'm saying... I'll hurt you if you stay.

The-Fly-Goldblum.jpg

favourite cronenberg, favourite film of the eighties, y'knew it'd be here. most people don’t seem to react this way and treat it as the kind of B-movie you’d expect from the title, but it’s one of the most upsetting films for me. maybe the most seamless blend of tragedy and horror, to the point where i’m simultaneously crying tears of compassion and averting my eyes through sheer revulsion (i’m very desensitised to most things but
mangled bodies that are still alive really fuck me up and the climax is just godawful for that, some of the most haunting effects ever
). in that respect it’s one of the great films about aging (among other things... i've seen numerous compelling readings at this point and don't see why they can't co-exist), and no film better demonstrates how body horror and psychological horror are really one and the same.

---------------

never really noticed before, but what a fucked up year.

shorthand list:
1. the fly
2. down by law
3. combat shock
4. mauvais sang
5. blue velvet
6. little shop of horrors
7. the texas chainsaw massacre 2
8. manhunter
9. terrorizers
10. from beyond

anyway, wainds' list is in so we must be past the deadline, what year is next?

1) Back to School - Love this movie and I usually watch it every fall!

2) Aliens
3) Heartbreak Ridge
4) Ferris Bueller's Day Off
5) Little Shop of Horrors
6) Big Trouble in Little China
7) April Fools Day
8) Labyrinth
9) Critters
10) Platoon

HM:
Stand by Me
Lucas
Crossroads
Hoosiers
Pretty in Pink
Highlander
Three Amigos
Cobra
Crocodile Dundee
Top Gun
Witchboard - I saw parts of this movie when I was way too young, probably 7 or 8. A week or so later I found a discarded Ouija Board Game in the neighbors trash. :lol:
Haunted Honeymoon
Maximum Overdrive
Wildcats
The Golden Child
Solarbabies - I remember watching this a lot and going outside and putting on my roller skates to reenact scenes from the movie. :lol:

And a Big Fuck You to everyone involved in the creation and release of Transformers: The Movie. That was one of the first movies I remember seeing in the theater and 30+ years later I am still not over those fuckers killing off Optimus Prime.

Untitled.jpg

1. Aliens (James Cameron)

Few other 80's movies combine all the best elements of the decade like Aliens does; Sci-fi, horror, androids, creatures, cartoonishly macho characters, action, violence, atmosphere, corporate villains, memorable lines, amazing practical effects and it even taps into the 'Nam war movie trend of that decade. It's the 80's movie. Extended cut is mandatory. "Look into my eye."

2. Dead Man's Letters (Konstantin Lopushansky)
One of the bleakest post-apocalyptic dramas you'll ever see. A Soviet-era Russian film about a group of people living in a bunker in the basement of a museum. Lopushansky worked on Stalker and it's easy to see how working for Tarkovsky rubbed off on him, like for example his use of monochrome colouring gives the whole film a disturbing orange atmosphere. A relentless philosophical gauntlet. If you're feeling doom and gloom throw this on and go even lower.

3. Vigil (Vincent Ward)
Considered a 1984 movie because it played Cannes and some US festivals, but it didn't air until 1986. Easily one of the (if not the) best Kiwi films ever made, and the director spent 5 years working on it. Filmed on an isolated farm in Northern Taranaki, the location looks like something out of a surreal fairytale. It's steeped in a childlike Ghibli-esque wonder but is slowly invaded by a growing tension in a way that really sticks with me. What goes on in this valley doesn't even seem part of the outside world. Is it post-apocalyptic or just very rural? Who the fuck knows.
vigil08.jpg

wgfwgf.jpg

vigil04.jpg

4. The Fly (David Cronenberg)
Always found it ironic that in many ways this is Cronenberg's most conventional film, but that's what makes it so effective. It feels like you've seen this story play out a hundred times already. It might be the most visually repulsive film that doesn't exclusively appeal to men. Of course the effects are front and centre but beneath the regurgitated bile is one of the most tragically human tales of all time; what happens when you no longer recognise the person you love?

5. Down by Law (Jim Jarmusch)
Such a bizarre movie. Don't think I've ever seen a deadpan movie that simultaneously simmers with slapstick energy. I agree with you Wainds; he's one of the best to utilize black & white, and it helps that the whole ordeal feels like a junkyard sculpture made from old jailhouse and gangster flicks. As far as movies about buddies going through hell in search of a good breakfast go, I'll take this over Harold & Kumar. At least in this one the immigrant actually gets the woman.

6. Platoon (Oliver Stone)
The first Hollywood film about 'Nam to be directed by an actual veteran of the conflict. The cast is more stacked than Angela White, with career defining performances from Dafoe, Berenger and even Sheen. Stone wrote the script as an antithesis to The Green Berets and it's about as subtle as a village massacre. Completely unflattering to the war itself and steeped in an ever-devolving morality primarily represented in Charlie Sheen's character, who goes from a naïve volunteer to ice cold and unhinged by the end. I'm not the hugest fan of Oliver Stone but I like his 'Nam trilogy a lot.

7. Blue Velvet (David Lynch)
A severed human ear lying in a vacant lot. It's one of the most Lynchian visuals ever. An invitation to go beneath square society. I also think it's a little too Lynch without ever truly spilling over into the insanity of what his name conjures. The entire premise was born in the director's own voyeuristic fantasies (watching a woman bed down from her closet) and in many ways Blue Velvet feels like the proto-Twin Peaks. It's fundamentally a family drama. But all that aside he obviously excels at crafting mysteries and throwing naïve and curious 1950's protagonists into them with little remorse.

8. Cobra (George P. Cosmatos)
I've watched this one a retarded amount of times. Might actually be my most repeat-watched Stallone movie ever. Everything about Cobra oozes with style, from the music to the outfits to the colours and the lighting. The bizarre Manson Family-esque serial killing cult lead by Brian Thompson, one of the strangest looking motherfuckers in cult movie history. It's so fucking 80's. Just a shame the original uncut R-18 version is lost forever. In one scene Stallone eats a frozen pizza and cuts it up with a pair of scissors.

9. Manhunter (Michael Mann)
Visually stunning even by Mann's already high (and very blue) standards. Ironic that Lynch turned down the chance to direct it, calling it violent and completely degenerate, and then made Blue Velvet. Personally I think the film works best when it's playing with the procedural elements like forensic science and FBI profiling. It all has a very cold reality to it that subsequent Thomas Harris adaptions are kinda missing. Under-using Cox's Lecktor was a genius move, although in hindsight I wish there was more since he'd never do the role again. Also an amazing soundtrack.

10. Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (John McNaughton)
Mindblowing that this filthy and utterly hostile crime horror was Michael Rooker's debut. What a fucking career path. From a lead role in an X-rated horror with a budget of $110k to doing multiple Marvel movies. Anyways this is one of the seediest American serial killer films ever made with any competence. There's also a sliver of a running theme in 1986 regarding voyeurism (Blue Velvet, Manhunter, Henry) and in particular the dark side of home videos. Perfect ending too.

Such a bizarre movie. Don't think I've ever seen a deadpan movie that simultaneously simmers with slapstick energy. I agree with you Wainds; he's one of the best to utilize black & white, and it helps that the whole ordeal feels like a junkyard sculpture made from old jailhouse and gangster flicks. As far as movies about buddies going through hell in search of a good breakfast go, I'll take this over Harold & Kumar. At least in this one the immigrant actually gets the woman.

I SCREAM

View attachment 31433

1. Aliens (James Cameron)

Few other 80's movies combine all the best elements of the decade like Aliens does; Sci-fi, horror, androids, creatures, cartoonishly macho characters, action, violence, atmosphere, corporate villains, memorable lines, amazing practical effects and it even taps into the 'Nam war movie trend of that decade. It's the 80's movie. Extended cut is mandatory. "Look into my eye."

2. Dead Man's Letters (Konstantin Lopushansky)
One of the bleakest post-apocalyptic dramas you'll ever see. A Soviet-era Russian film about a group of people living in a bunker in the basement of a museum. Lopushansky worked on Stalker and it's easy to see how working for Tarkovsky rubbed off on him, like for example his use of monochrome colouring gives the whole film a disturbing orange atmosphere. A relentless philosophical gauntlet. If you're feeling doom and gloom throw this on and go even lower.

3. Vigil (Vincent Ward)
Considered a 1984 movie because it played Cannes and some US festivals, but it didn't air until 1986. Easily one of the (if not the) best Kiwi films ever made, and the director spent 5 years working on it. Filmed on an isolated farm in Northern Taranaki, the location looks like something out of a surreal fairytale. It's steeped in a childlike Ghibli-esque wonder but is slowly invaded by a growing tension in a way that really sticks with me. What goes on in this valley doesn't even seem part of the outside world. Is it post-apocalyptic or just very rural? Who the fuck knows.

4. The Fly (David Cronenberg)
Always found it ironic that in many ways this is Cronenberg's most conventional film, but that's what makes it so effective. It feels like you've seen this story play out a hundred times already. It might be the most visually repulsive film that doesn't exclusively appeal to men. Of course the effects are front and centre but beneath the regurgitated bile is one of the most tragically human tales of all time; what happens when you no longer recognise the person you love?

6. Platoon (Oliver Stone)
The first Hollywood film about 'Nam to be directed by an actual veteran of the conflict. The cast is more stacked than Angela White, with career defining performances from Dafoe, Berenger and even Sheen. Stone wrote the script as an antithesis to The Green Berets and it's about as subtle as a village massacre. Completely unflattering to the war itself and steeped in an ever-devolving morality primarily represented in Charlie Sheen's character, who goes from a naïve volunteer to ice cold and unhinged by the end. I'm not the hugest fan of Oliver Stone but I like his 'Nam trilogy a lot.

7. Blue Velvet (David Lynch)
A severed human ear lying in a vacant lot. It's one of the most Lynchian visuals ever. An invitation to go beneath square society. I also think it's a little too Lynch without ever truly spilling over into the insanity of what his name conjures. The entire premise was born in the director's own voyeuristic fantasies (watching a woman bed down from her closet) and in many ways Blue Velvet feels like the proto-Twin Peaks. It's fundamentally a family drama. But all that aside he obviously excels at crafting mysteries and throwing naïve and curious 1950's protagonists into them with little remorse.

8. Cobra (George P. Cosmatos)
I've watched this one a retarded amount of times. Might actually be my most repeat-watched Stallone movie ever. Everything about Cobra oozes with style, from the music to the outfits to the colours and the lighting. The bizarre Manson Family-esque serial killing cult lead by Brian Thompson, one of the strangest looking motherfuckers in cult movie history. It's so fucking 80's. Just a shame the original uncut R-18 version is lost forever. In one scene Stallone eats a frozen pizza and cuts it up with a pair of scissors.

9. Manhunter (Michael Mann)
Visually stunning even by Mann's already high (and very blue) standards. Ironic that Lynch turned down the chance to direct it, calling it violent and completely degenerate, and then made Blue Velvet. Personally I think the film works best when it's playing with the procedural elements like forensic science and FBI profiling. It all has a very cold reality to it that subsequent Thomas Harris adaptions are kinda missing. Under-using Cox's Lecktor was a genius move, although in hindsight I wish there was more since he'd never do the role again. Also an amazing soundtrack.

10. Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (John McNaughton)
Mindblowing that this filthy and utterly hostile crime horror was Michael Rooker's debut. What a fucking career path. From a lead role in an X-rated horror with a budget of $110k to doing multiple Marvel movies. Anyways this is one of the seediest American serial killer films ever made with any competence. There's also a sliver of a running theme in 1986 regarding voyeurism (Blue Velvet, Manhunter, Henry) and in particular the dark side of home videos. Perfect ending too.

Awesome list dude! Glad to see we were on a similar page. Dead Man's Letters sounds very intriguing. I've only seen Tarkovsky's first two films Ivan's Childhood (very powerful film) and Andrei Rublev.