GMD Social Poll: Top Ten Films of 2000

CiG

Deformed Urban Pustule
May 22, 2015
W.A.
rateyourmusic.com
giphy.gif

RYM film chart

Deadline is WHENEVER THE FUCK. If you need an extension just say so and it will absolutely be considered. This is usually just a soft deadline to make sure everybody doesn't become complacent.

REMEMBER for those of you who haven't seen many films from this year or in general, you can always submit lists as small as only having 5 submissions.

Rules:

- Please submit at least 5 films.
- First place in your rankings gets 10 points, 2nd gets 9, etcetc, 10th gets 1.
- Feel free to post more than 10, but only the top 10 will get points.
- Feel free to post less than 10, the same scoring will apply.
- Feel free not to rank your picks, in which case all ten picks will get 5.5 points.
- If you're so much of a dick that you have to post more than 10 unranked picks, the maths will be worked out.

FFS when are you going to close this poll, it's been open forever!

1. The Perfect Storm
2. Vulgar
3. Gone in 60 Seconds
4. Charlie's Angels
5. The Whole Nine Yards
6. Pitch Black
7. The Dish
8. Chopper
9. Cast Away
10. The Art of War

Reactions: CiG
1. Ginger Snaps
2. Nueve reinas (Nine Queens)
3. Finding Forrester
4. Final Destination
5. Chopper
6. State and Main
7. Battle Royale
8. Cherry Falls
9. Dancer in the Dark
10. Memento

HM:
The Whole Nine Yards

Finding Forrester was new to me - more entertaining than expected.

Last edited:
1. Memento
2. Shadow Of The Vampire
3. Sexy Beast
4. Gangster No 1
5. Battle Royale
6. American Psycho
7. Unbreakable
8. Pitch Black
9. The Cell
10. Hollow Man

Last edited:
I went through the first 520 movies listed on that site. As usual, I dropped any movie listed that was actually a TV movie, not a theatrical release. And while there were a lot of movies I both recognized and watched, some of them I haven't so much as thought about since I initially saw them. So I pretty much discounted them as well.

That left me with 17 movies to choose from. So here's my Top 10.

1. Almost Famous
2. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (the subtitled version, the English-dubbed version is awful)
3. Pitch Black
4. Finding Forrester
5. Erin Brockovich
6. Remember The Titans
7. Men of Honor
8. The Replacements
9. Frequency
10. Bring It On

Depends what it is I'm watching. Part of the insanity of watching trashy exploitation Italian films is the dubbing.
I can see the appeal, and I know it's also very common to prefer old school Hong Kong martial arts in dub, or even stuff like Shogun Assassin. But I'm a hard liner on this one, I fucking hate dubs unless it's Dragon Ball Z lol. Goku's Japanese voice sucks so bad.

i don't get the fuss about subtitles tbh, i just forget i'm reading them 5 minutes into a film. i feel like it's the same for everyone who isn't illiterate/blind once they've seen like 10-20 movies with subs, but obviously a lot of people never bother getting to that stage.

The only time subtitles are worth reading is when it's done live. Those deaf titles can be fucking hilarious at times as the typist tries to make sense of what the person is saying.

GlaringTheseBellfrog-size_restricted.gif
1. Versus (Ryuhei Kitamura)
2. Erin Brockovich (Steven Soderbergh)
3. Citizen Toxie: The Toxic Avenger IV (Lloyd Kaufman)
4. Gladiator (Ridley Scott)
5. snatch. (Guy Ritchie)
6. Amores perros (Alejandro González Iñárritu)
7. Traffic (Steven Soderbergh)
8. In the Mood for Love (Wong Kar-wai)
9. American Psycho (Mary Harron)
10. Brother (Takeshi Kitano)

Two Soderbergh gems in one year. In high school I hated Erin Brockovich because my mum would watch it on VHS a lot, or whenever it played on TV. Years later though I "rediscovered" it and fell in love.

The DVD of Versus has a great interview with Ryuhei Kitamura where he aggressively asserts the mastery of 80's action movies, in particular Commando. The Evil Dead is the most obvious parallel though. Although I like a lot of his subsequent work, it's kinda mindblowing that he never came close to touching his debut. He himself said he treated Versus as if it would be his first and last feature, and decided to pump all his influences into a single film.

(I need to rip that interview and upload it, it's not anywhere online afaik.)

View attachment 32462
1. Versus (Ryuhei Kitamura)
2. Erin Brockovich (Steven Soderbergh)
3. Citizen Toxie: The Toxic Avenger IV (Lloyd Kaufman)
4. Gladiator (Ridley Scott)
5. snatch. (Guy Ritchie)
6. Amores perros (Alejandro González Iñárritu)
7. Traffic (Steven Soderbergh)
8. In the Mood for Love (Wong Kar-wai)
9. American Psycho (Mary Harron)
10. Brother (Takeshi Kitano)

Two Soderbergh gems in one year. In high school I hated Erin Brockovich because my mum would watch it on VHS a lot, or whenever it played on TV. Years later though I "rediscovered" it and fell in love.

The DVD of Versus has a great interview with Ryuhei Kitamura where he aggressively asserts the mastery of 80's action movies, in particular Commando. The Evil Dead is the most obvious parallel though. Although I like a lot of his subsequent work, it's kinda mindblowing that he never came close to touching his debut. He himself said he treated Versus as if it would be his first and last feature, and decided to pump all his influences into a single film.

(I need to rip that interview and upload it, it's not anywhere online afaik.)
I have still not seen Versus. Disgraceful I know! I did ponder whether to put Gladiator on mine. When I was around 12, me, my mum, sis and Gran stumbled upon them filming the opening sequence. We wondered down to get a bit closer and a member of the crew informed us that we had just missed Richard Harris.