GMD Social Poll: Top Ten Films of 2016

CiG

Wondrous apparition provided by magician
May 22, 2015
W.A.
rateyourmusic.com
tumblr_03f4f1885fbba15a15744784a8419868_c440a3c7_540.gif

RYM film chart

Deadline is AUGUST 22nd. If you need an extension just say so and it will absolutely be considered. This is usually just a soft deadline to make sure everybody doesn't become complacent.

REMEMBER for those of you who haven't seen many films from this year or in general, you can always submit lists as small as only having 5 submissions.

Rules:

- Please submit at least 5 films.
- First place in your rankings gets 10 points, 2nd gets 9, etcetc, 10th gets 1.
- Feel free to post more than 10, but only the top 10 will get points.
- Feel free to post less than 10, the same scoring will apply.
- Feel free not to rank your picks, in which case all ten picks will get 5.5 points.
- If you're so much of a dick that you have to post more than 10 unranked picks, the maths will be worked out.

Last edited:
1. Hunt for the Wilderpeople
2. Deadpool
3. Goldstone
4. Suicide Squad
5. Passengers
6. The Girl on the Train
7. Bad Moms
8. Red Dog: True Blue
9. Eddie the Eagle
10. Warcraft

Edit: I remembered I watched one other movie so Ghostbusters is out where it should be

Last edited:
Well I'd only seen 10 movies from 2016 and I certainly wasn't going to rate it higher!

Initial list, I'll cut it down later. I know that for some of these it's not even in question, but rather than weed out the borderline cases I figured I'd throw them all at the wall for now.

Arrival
The Wailing
The Void
Nocturnal Animals
Train to Busan
Under the Shadow
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (arguably the best of the new movies)
Personal Shopper
Deadpool
Don't Breathe
Midnight Special (now realizing that Nichols wrote and directed two films released the same year? wtf)
The Autopsy of Jane Doe (loses steam in the final act, but up until then it's the perfect balance of mystery and terror)
Hail Caesar!
Split
I Am Not Your Negro
Hell or High Water
10 Cloverfield Lane

Reactions: CiG
Will try to watch a couple as it looks like I've seen 9 worth listing. Also saw The Red Pill out of sheer curiosity, but lol. I caught The Wailing after seeing it mentioned on this forum, might be the best of the bunch.

1. La Vache
2. Bienvenue à Marly-Gomont
3. Toni Erdmann
4. Welcome to Norway
5. This Beautiful Fantastic
6. Paris pieds nus
7. Victoria
8. Hundraettåringen som smet från notan och försvann

Maybe I should watch a few movies from this year just so I can make a list and put The Wailing at #1.

1. The Handmaiden (Park Chan-Wook)
2. The Salesman (Asghar Farhadi)
3. Hounds of Love (Ben Young)
4. The Wailing (Na Hong-Jin)
5. Elle (Paul Verhoeven)
6. American Honey (Andrea Arnold)
7. Under the Shadow (Babak Anvari)
8. Life and a Day (Sayeed Roustayi)
9. Toni Erdmann (Maren Ade)
10. Zootopia (Rich Moore)

11. Manchester by the Sea (Kenneth Lonergan)
12. I, Daniel Blake (Ken Loach)
13. Hail Caesar (Coen bros)
14. Sing Street (John Carney)
15. Train to Busan (Yeon Sang-ho)
16. The Nice Guys (Shane Black)
17. The Neon Demon (Nicholas Winding Refn)
18. Arrival (Denis Villeneuve)
19. Moonlight (Barry Jenkins)
20. Deadpool (Tim Miller)

Best year ever for Korean and Iranian cinema? (Ana Lily Amirpour's Bad Batch was also this year which was also cool, but flawed).

I highly recommend Hounds of Love which is based on the true story of the husband/wife serial killers the Burnies and was criminally under-watched.

According to IMDB Hounds of Love only has 2 festival dates in 2016 and the rest of the dates are 2017, just in case you care about that kind of thing.
Weren't you the one that cared about that kind of thing when you said this in your thread for the 2015 poll:
I don't particularly want to run a game that makes no sense and has no internal consistency
Maybe you've mellowed out a bit? :D My lists will continue to be IMDb years throughout so I don't get a search headache.