GMD Social Poll: Top Ten Films of 2017

CiG

Relaxer
May 22, 2015
W.A.
rateyourmusic.com
39816.gif

RYM film chart

Deadline is February 2nd. If you need an extension just say so and it will absolutely be considered. This is usually just a soft deadline to make sure everybody doesn't become complacent.

REMEMBER for those of you who haven't seen many films from this year or in general, you can always submit lists as small as only having 5 submissions.

Rules:

- Please submit at least 5 films.
- First place in your rankings gets 10 points, 2nd gets 9, etcetc, 10th gets 1.
- Feel free to post more than 10, but only the top 10 will get points.
- Feel free to post less than 10, the same scoring will apply.
- Feel free not to rank your picks, in which case all ten picks will get 5.5 points.
- If you're so much of a dick that you have to post more than 10 unranked picks, the maths will be worked out.

going by imdb dates for this. gonna leave out anything that i posted in my recent 2018 thread just 'cause it's pointless relisting those so soon. out of those, a couple of great unsung movies i'd recommend are bodied (incendiary rap battle movie that captures this era better than most movies) and winter brothers (backwater scandinavian the master about this moonshine-brewing retard working in an eerie chalk mine). western and the day after are good too but with more of a niche arthouse appeal. first reformed is the best of the lot and would certainly be in my top 4 for this year at worst.

just drew up a preliminary list and yeesh, without the above it's looking pretty shallow. very normie too lmao. don't think i'll be listing more than 10-15 for this one.

1. The Lego Batman Movie
2. Goodbye Christopher Robin
3. CHIPs
4. Snatched
5. Baby Driver
6. It
7.Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
8. Logan Lucky
9. I, Tonya
10. Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle

Reactions: CiG
1. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
2. I, Tonya
3. It
4. The Shape of Water
5. A Dog's Purpose
6. Logan
7. War for the Planet of the Apes
8. Bright
9. Raw
10. Okja

We counted that as a 2018 film though.

Maybe it's just that fucking good. ;) Still need to watch it...

1. Get Out (hands down)
2. Blade Runner 2049 (I'm a fan of Villeneuve's sterilized hyper-corporate vision, juxtaposed with environmental collapse)
3. The Endless (excellent low-budget Lovecraftian meta-horror)
4. It Comes At Night (whatever "it" is...)
5. Logan (blades down)
6. John Wick: Chapter 2 (the weakest of the trilogy, but still awesome)
7. Star Wars: The Last Jedi (I know a lot of people despised this; I think it's sheer brilliance)
8. Thor: Ragnarok (Tessa Thompson can kick my ass any day)
9. The Killing of a Sacred Deer (deliciously weird)
10. The Ritual (a good narrative, but the effects/creature design won me over)

There are several from 2017 I still need to watch, including Phantom Thread, Super Dark Times, and The Florida Project. Also, really want to see this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_Has_Her_House

you of all people also need to see marjorie prime too. i wonder if you'd like a ghost story as well although that one's ultra polarising.

We counted that as a 2018 film though.

i counted all of those as 2018 when 2018 was the current year, but i have different eligibility rules when i'm ranking a current year. i would normally count them as 2017 in any retrospective polls going forward, but i don't see the point in doing that when i only just listed them in the 2018 poll lol. i'm still gonna go by imdb dates for this but i'll just ignore the ones i listed above.

i know that sounds convoluted but there is a logic behind it haha. ideally i'd use imdb dates all the time, the only reason i change to uk/us theatrical release dates for current years is because half the stuff with a world premiere of 2019 just isn't available for me (or most people) to watch until mid 2020. but on the flipside, using uk/us theatrical release dates for every poll we do would just be too much of a pain in my ass.

not sure about other people but these are some 2018 movies (by world premiere) i'm counting as 2019: under the silver lake, high life, her smell, the nightingale, dragged across concrete, in fabric, long day's journey into night, transit, ash is purest white, everybody knows, knife+heart, asako i+ii, our time, 3 faces, freaks, hotel by the river

you of all people also need to see marjorie prime too. i wonder if you'd like a ghost story as well although that one's ultra polarising.

Yes, I feel guilty that I haven't seen MP yet, especially since you've recommended it multiple times. I have some free time this month, I'll try to work it in.

I also know about A Ghost Story, but haven't been able to psyche myself up for it yet. It sounds like a film for which I'll need to be in the right mood (not sure if everyone's this way with films, but I am).

View attachment 23240

1. Brawl in Cell Block 99 (S. Craig Zahler)
2. The Killing of a Sacred Deer (Yorgos Lanthimos)
3. Phantom Thread (Paul Thomas Anderson)
4. Outrage Coda (Takeshi Kitano)
5. The Florida Project (Sean Baker)
6. Blade Runner 2049 (Denis Villeneuve)
7. Bright (David Ayer)
8. Ghost in the Shell (Rupert Sanders)
9. Logan (James Mangold)
10. I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore (Macon Blair)

Just in case I don't get around to other films before the deadline. Many more to see and potentially add though.

Cool list. Is The Florida Project worth watching for someone who disliked Tangerine or is it similar?

depends what you disliked about tangerine i guess but it’s pretty different.

mother! is just very aronofsky so it depends how you feel about him in general. everyone should probably watch it once, tis an experience lol

Cool list. Is The Florida Project worth watching for someone who disliked Tangerine or is it similar?

Hard question because it's like Wainds said it really depends what you disliked about Tangerine.

I think the two films share a similar spirit but The Florida Project felt way less amateur. It did use a mixed cast of established actors, new actors and first timers like Tangerine though, but it wasn't filmed on a smartphone, 35MM film instead. I adore Tangerine myself.

A'ight here's a list of 2017 movies I've already seen. Same as with 2018, there's only a couple with a 5/5 rating so the rest will be compiled from 4/5s, however first I need to watch some hot contenders that I missed.

2017.PNG

V7ghBSu.jpg

1. Shot Caller
2. Brawl in Cell Block 99
3. Logan
4. Mohawk
5. Kong: Skull Isalnd
6. Cult of Chucky
7. A Dog's Purpose

Haven't seen a lot from this year i guess. If i can will add to it or if i remember something else.

I need to see Shot Caller and Mohawk, both look cool. If you have Netflix I'd recommend Bright, I think you'd get a kick out of that one. Alien Nation meets Lord of the Rings meets Training Day. :D

Reactions: RadicalThrasher