Goatwhore - A Haunting Curse

Tom Strutton

Oct 23, 2006
Goatwhore – A Haunting Curse
Metal Blade Records - 11th September 2006
by Tom Strutton

GW-Coverlowres.jpg

A Haunting Curse is the third full-length album from New Orleans based four-piece Goatwhore, and their first for Metal Blade Records whom they signed with in 2005. Goatwhore started life with traditional black metal aspirations, most clearly evident here in A Haunting Curse's lyrics, but the sound here is definitely outside of black metal in terms of the stylistic territory it treads.

Even on first acquaintance A Haunting Curse sounds horribly familiar - don't expect to find anthing new or vaguely original here. Even the personality of the band as projected by the music seems borrowed, right down to their willingness to embrace an irritatingly conventional, yet unfortunately in vogue, 'neat and tidy' production value. I can imagine that Goathwhore are a spectacle of adrenaline and precision to witness live, but sadly nothing of the sort is projected here. As for the songs themselves...well, Goatwhore are clearly masters of paraphrasing the work of others. The songs that make up A Haunting Curse are largely formulaic patchworks of staple aspects from different metal sub-genres: - punk/hardcore attitude, the occasional traditional thrash riff, grindcore blastbeats, though mostly Gothenberg style melodic-death). Instead of employing these ingredients to create a new and interesting musical collage, Goatwhore create a confused ocean of anonymity. Put another way, A Haunting Curse looks good on paper but struggles to assert its own voice. Its hard not to be cynical in the face of such 'production line metal', and, at the risk of copping flak from Goatwhore fans, I'll be honest and say that these guys are the melodic death metal eqivalent of Bullet For My Valentine (who are the 'metal' equivalent of Busted).

Enough with the negativity - there are actually a few cracking moments and a few riffs that will definitely stick in your head. It's a pity there are not more tracks like 'Alchemy of the black sun cult', an exercise in confident mid-tempo brutality with an instantly memorable riff. Perhaps this track owes its success to its simplicity; it is definitely the most conventional on show here and displays a band with a lot of promise. For the most part it avoids the needless time changes that disrupt the flow of the other tracks (the only significant tempo change here is forgiven since it marks out the bridge of the song). Opener 'Wear these scars of testimony' is another fairly good track, with two fleeting yet excellent dischords forming part of one of the riffs (Impossible to describe which riff but listen close and you will hear them). A Haunting Curse would seriously benefit from more moments of harmonic expressivity like these, which could stand in place of the tired tremolo picked single-note riffs that are tragically interchangeable between songs. I wish I could have better things to say about the aforemetioned production value, the biggest problem being that the guitars sound a little too distant and would benefit from a more confrontational placing at the foreground of the mix. As such you may feel like a casual observer of events, rather than feeling like the music has control of you and is exercising its power and authority on you.

A Haunting Curse may appeal to the more undemanding of listeners, but you will want to avoid it like the plague if you are of the opinion that the metal scene is bursting at the seams with generic metal bands whose only purpose is to vent controlled aggression of the commercialy 'safe' tried and tested variety.

Most Positive Aspect: A really good track in 'Alchemy of the black sun cult'
Most Negative Aspect: See above

5.5/10

UM’s Review Rating Scale

Official Goatwhore Website
Official Metal Blade Records Website

<wAr neRVe> - Care to tell us why you would give it 9/10? Please don't bring your opinions to the discussion unless you are prepared to back them up with mature and well thought out reasoning. I ran a search on your posts and a lot of the time you come across as quite childish i.e., abusive language towards other users.

I'm sure you do like this album, but please back up your opinion with some observations next time or people are just going to discredit it.

i actually really enjoyed this album. i found the songs not repetitive and each track fairly unique. I think this album is great to headbang too and i believe that its combination of black, death, and melodic metal influences gives goatwhore a distinct sound that sets them apart from so many of the death and black metal bands surfacing today who offer nothing original or unique. i also must add that i think ben falgoust has some of the greatest vocals of all time due to the fact that he can transition so easily from deep throated growls to high pitched shrieks. anyways i normally dont post here but i saw the rating for this album and had to throw in my 2 cents. id give it a 8 out of 10

Thanks for adding your views meshuggahman1, and I'm glad you like the album. I actually thought the vocal performance was quite ordinary, though I kept this thought out of my original review for not wanting to overdo the negative criticism. I have heard plenty of vocalists that are more diverse than Ben Falgoust (the best being Jesse Leach, original vocalist of KsE), but I won't dispute that this is a good headbanging album. I couldn't give it an 8 because it doesn't shape up to Decapitated's 'Organic Hallucinosis' (9) which is the best release of the year thus far. 5.5 is average, not bad.

If you are reading this thread and have heard Goatwhore's 'A Haunting Curse' please add your two cents

My two cents is that this has unrelenting aggression yet the songs are distinct from each other. Professional production and a completely malevolent atmosphere. It makes a nice contrast to the typical Norwegian stuff.

thats cool i understand your reasoning. i think jesse leach has an amazing vocal range too, i enjoy listening to seemless when i get the chance.

Everyone who has posted here saying this album deserves an 8.5 or 9 has also said that they thought this album was 'pretty good' 'great' or solid.

8.5 or 9 = Excellent, Brilliant, Well Above Average

None of these adjectives have been used. Instead you are calling it:

Solid (5/6)

Pretty good (6)

Great (7)

This just highlights a bigger problem here at UM where staff and members alike are tending to give over-enthusiatic marks (8/9/10) to albums which they then go on to describe as 'good'.

Sorry if I 've I offended anyone but I know that this must be weighing on the minds of several of you out there.

Everyone who has posted here saying this album deserves an 8.5 or 9 has also said that they thought this album was 'pretty good' 'great' or solid.

Haha, you're giving way too much credit to the average UM reader. I can guarantee you that most people will bypass the review text altogether, scroll down to the score, and comment on the grading only.

A suggestion perhaps is to include the definition for your ratings per each review (as a reminder for how the scale works).

Better yet, get rid of the scoring and FORCE people to actually read the review itself (provided of course it's a well written review).

yeah I'd give it at least an 8.5 myself... I saw it as a black/thrash album, nothing revolutionary but still solid

Here's a perfect example....8.5/10 except it's "nothing revolutionary but still solid".

I'm sorry but according to the UM scale, or any scale for that matter, if the album is going to score an 8 or higher then it better be fucking revolutionary.

To put things in perspective, like it or not, there aren't more than 50 albums TOTAL that would score a 10/10 ever in the history of metal. So a 7 or 8 scoring album better be fucking decent to say the least.

Very well said JayKeeley. I don't think it is necessary to give an album an numerical rating but I also don't wish to divert from the standard format that UM has in place. It is a good system as long as the the average mark given across the board is 5/6. If it is the case that many great albums are coming out one after another then we should moderate the idea of 'average' accordingly, making room at the top end of the scale to accomodate the truly exceptional releases.

I used to be guilty of lavishing praise on average bands which at the time I thought were exceptional, simply because, being lazy, I hadn't made the effort to seek out truly exceptional bands. One day a friend taught me that as paying customers and the guys who put bands where they are we can afford to be critical and demand excellence from our bands. I now demand excellence and don't tolerate laziness.

One day a friend taught me that as paying customers and the guys who put bands where they are we can afford to be critical and demand excellence from our bands. I now demand excellence and don't tolerate laziness.

Exactly, but unfortunately, lots of people download their music for free (and never eventually buy it) so it becomes a lot easier to praise it when they're not paying for it.

Please also note that (in my opinion) reviews have become guidelines for what people should or should not download. It's rare today that someone reads a review and goes out to buy that album "blind".

So essentially reviews are becoming redundant -- people download anyway, check it out for themselves via "test drive", and then decide on whether to buy it or not. And considering the amount of absolute drivel that emerges from the metal scene, this philosophy is hard to argue with -- provided people do actually buy what they like and not just amass terrabytes of MP3s.

Haha, you're giving way too much credit to the average UM reader. I can guarantee you that most people will bypass the review text altogether, scroll down to the score, and comment on the grading only.

A suggestion perhaps is to include the definition for your ratings per each review (as a reminder for how the scale works).

Better yet, get rid of the scoring and FORCE people to actually read the review itself (provided of course it's a well written review).

Here's a perfect example....8.5/10 except it's "nothing revolutionary but still solid".

I'm sorry but according to the UM scale, or any scale for that matter, if the album is going to score an 8 or higher then it better be fucking revolutionary.

To put things in perspective, like it or not, there aren't more than 50 albums TOTAL that would score a 10/10 ever in the history of metal. So a 7 or 8 scoring album better be fucking decent to say the least.

well i think you're looking far too much into everything just like those ANUS fags... would you listen to Reverend Bizarre expecting something groundbreaking? fuck no, its just a throwback paying homage and is pure metal... Everything doesn't have to be mindblowingly experimental or progressive, that is what makes the albums which are that much more impressive in relation.

well i think you're looking far too much into everything just like those ANUS fags... would you listen to Reverend Bizarre expecting something groundbreaking? fuck no, its just a throwback paying homage and is pure metal... Everything doesn't have to be mindblowingly experimental or progressive, that is what makes the albums which are that much more impressive in relation.

Right, I agree on all points, including the example of Rev Bizarre, so I'm not sure where I said that something had to be "progressive" or "groundbreaking" in order to be considered great.

The discussion here revolves around this nonsense of how people throw out these ratings on a whim.

So let's see:

You'd give this album an 8.5/10. So according to the UM scale, which I'm sure you referenced...

8.5 - 9.5: Excellent . . . nearly essential for all fans of extreme music

...you're suggesting that this album is excellent and that it's nearly essential that fans go out and pay $15 for the CD.

Conversely, Tom Strutton said it was a 5.5/10, or....

4 - 6: Average . . . buy if you really like this style

....and that it's pretty "average" so only pay $15 for the CD if you're a diehard fan.

Subjectivity aside, it looks like this review is at least in context with the scale. Or rather, the review itself matches the score.

Subjectivity aside, it looks like this review is at least in context with the scale. Or rather, the review itself matches the score.

fuckin aye. personally I think it's their worst album, and the review was on point in considering it formulaic. Definitely only one for people who can enjoy anything of the genre.

I dont disagree with the number rating really but the part about them being the Bullet For My Valentine of melodeath is pretty wrong IMO. If you ever meet these guys you will see they are far from. I prefer the album before this one personally, "Funeral Dirge for the Rotting Sun ".

I dont disagree with the number rating really but the part about them being the Bullet For My Valentine of melodeath is pretty wrong IMO. If you ever meet these guys you will see they are far from. I prefer the album before this one personally, "Funeral Dirge for the Rotting Sun ".

agree 100%