God forbid Constitution of Treason guitar tone

Feb 17, 2007
UK
So I absolutely love the guitar tone on God Forbid's Constitution of Treason record and I'd like to emulate this on my own recordings, other people aim for the black album or in flames.

I've got a 6505+, marshall 1960 and TS9 so I can't be far off the mark in terms of gear right?

I found an interview on the internet with Jason suecof (producer for the record) and he explained the setup for recording guitars on Constitution of Treason. At the time I read it I thought he also mixed the album, but it was actually Eric Rachel that mixed it.

--------------------------
Fromdiscmakers.com
How did you get the guitar tones on the God Forbid album?
Jason:We started with a [Peavey] 5150-2 head, which rocks. I also have other Peaveys like the XXX and the XXL. We had a good tone up in about five minutes. Sometimes it takes five hours to get a decent guitar tone, but in this case we nailed it right away. We used a Tube Screamer pedal and a Marshall 1960 cabinet. I like to use a few mics on the cabinet, for instance, I’ll start with a [Shure] 57 and a [Sennheiser] 421 about the same distance from the cabinet, as close to the grille as I can get without touching it and a little off-axis from the cones. For the God Forbid guitars, I also used an Audio-Technica AE 3000 for a little top end. It’s like a mini-4033, a cardiod condenser that really sounds sweet and can handle killer volume, it’s rated for SPL’s of almost 150 dB. Audio Technica loaned me some when I was recording Trivium and I ended up buying five of them. The bulk of the tone came from the 421 and 57, with just a touch of the 3000 for highs.

Next, I route each mic into a Vintech 473, which is a replica 1073 four-channel mic preamp. It has two switchable bands of shelving EQ and Class A circuits throughout. I love the way it sounds. Out of the Vintech, I go into three auxiliary inputs, then I bus those together in Pro Tools and create a mix to one track in the computer. I know some mixers like to record each mic separately, but I prefer to get a good blend right then and put it all down on one track.
-------------------------

I recently got the dvd section "the making of IV Constitution of Treason" and something that Doc said during the mixing section of the dvd made me think they reamped the guitar tracks. You could see a Krank revolution (chrome finish) in the studio when they were mixing at East Trax. Then later there was some Line 6 amp next to it (looked like this one click here). I heard Eric say something about a fender bassman when they were talking about the intro to 'End of the World'

Does anybody else have any other information on the guitar tone? What amp and cab was used for the main distorted guitar tone? perhaps amp settings? Microphone's used and placement?

I tried to take down the amp settings off the dvd from the 5150 II in Jason's control room but if the guitars were later reamped that would be a waste of time. Plus the footage from the camera is very grainy, so its hard to do anyway.

IIRC the speakers in the cab were Celestion G12K-100's, and they reamped through a Flextone II to blend a bit with the 5150. There was a thread on it before where Andy posted some info, as he had spoken with Dallas about it.

Cheers for that.

I sent a message to GF's myspace and got this reply

"The majority of the tone is 4 tracks of 5150 II with a tube screamer through an sick Marshall 800 cab that we borrowed from a rehearsal studio. I don't really know about the micing. You'd have to ask Jason.

We used a Line 6 original flextone on the re-amps to get more clarity. It's probably 70/30 5150/Line 6 ratio."