going shopping... yet again....

Canis

Apr 1, 2003
well, the other day my friend took back the mixing board which I had on the loan from him. that leaves me with few options, save buying one for myself.

so... I don't need anything really fancy. I'd only really need 2 mono/2 stereo mixer, though I wouldn't mind having 4 mono channels to work with, just in case. I'd like the mono channels to have good mic preamps, hopefully better than the Behringer ones, which I've found to be a bit on the noisy side. Other than that, I don't think I really need anything. t'would be nice having a way to feed the signal from the computer back into the mixer so I can plug the monitor headphones right into it.

I'm ready to spend up to 150 dollars for it, and for that money I'd like the best quality possible. Everyone seems to advise against getting a Behringer and go for Yamaha (or something) instead. What do you say...?

I've also been wondering whether there is any immediate advantage of having a separate mic preamp unit. Surely they must be better, but is the difference really worth it for an amateur like me? I'd need at least 2 channels and those can get pretty pricey. The only one i know of in my price range is the audio buddy by m-audio, but i've heard mixed opinions about it, so dunno...

and, finally, i've finally decided to get a decent condensor mic beside the sm57 i have now. i've been looking at Studio Projects B1 a lot, but then I heard about KEL hm-1 ( www.kelaudio.com ). i've yet to hear a negative review for the S.P. B1, but then, people seem to be really raving about the hm-1, saying that it actually comes close to some of the really expensive mics out there. it has a nice, flat frequency response and a warmer sound than the B1, which has a sort of a presence peak, and to tell you the truth, that's exactly what I need. Hell, i'd buy both, but i havent' got enough money right now, so if anyone has any experience with the hm-1, i'd be glad if they shared.

okay, over and out for now, and thanks in advance.

I can't recommend the Soundcraft Compact4 enough as a good low budget mixer:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fg=101/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/630925/

It's specifially designed for home computer recording and the more I use it, the more I can't believe I lived without some of the "convenience" features for so long.

As for the seperate pre-amp thing, all of the low budget stuff is pretty much created equal IMHO. If you want something cheap to hype things up a bit, the Presonus TubePre thingy should be fine.

But to make a significant jump in quality, you're probably best off saving up for a FMR Audio RNP and even then there's the issue of how good your A/D converters are...

How much are you looking to spend on the condenser and what are you going to use it for mainly? Vocals?

Whatever you do, don't buy anything made by Behringer. That company is a joke. They got sued by Mackie because they stole Mackie's design, and even stole their manual (it had the same typos!!!)

I have a Studio Projects C1 and it's served me well as a vocal mic, though I've switched to the Audio Technica 4060 as of late. Not sure about the B1. When it comes to condenser mics though, you really want to shop carefully, figure out what you're looking for, and don't go too cheap, because you generally get what you pay for.

thanks for the reply mate. i'm gonna look into your suggestion.

as for the condenser... well, i already have the sm57 for guitar, but i've been pondering double-micing for a while now. and of course, i'd like to record acoustic guitar and vocals, possibly even viola at some point. the 57 does a decent job, but it's not as "open" on the vocals and acoustic instruments as i'd like. i'm willing to spend up to 150 dollars on a condenser, not more. i don't need a neumann or anything.

Well....I bought a Studio Projects B1 a while back, and was simply AMAZED at the quality for the price. If you are experienced enough with mixing (eq'ing, gating, limiting, compressing, etc.) vocals, and are good at fiddling with stuff to the point where you know it's tonal characteristics by heart and know how to adjust, then the B1 is a great deal. Just like with monitors, you have to get use to what they show you. With the B1, it's a great mic, no joke, but you have to get use to it and where to adjust to get the really amazing sounds out of it. Audio Technica makes some great LD condensors for cheap nowadays too.

One thing I can tell you about using condensors on guitar amps: IT SOUNDS A BILLION TIMES BETTER. lol. Yet another post where I have lost my point so I'll just quit, again. Yep.

~006

I would also recomend the Compact 4. Great mixer with pretty good preamps, it's also very versatile with many routing options. It's so worth those extra bucks to get at mixer like this instead of some cheap Behringer.

hot damn, i've checked that soundcraft out and i must say it's tempting... really versatile... it's only... well, never heard of that company before, and in such cases i'm always suspicious. really sucks that about the behringer, though.

as for the condenser on the guitar amp... are you sure? never heard of anyone recording distorted guitar with condensers only... i was thinking about double micing though, like i said. also, aren't condensers more sensitive? hell, i don't think i'm brave enough to put a condenser up to the grille... and besides, does that mean i bought that sm57 for nothing or what? :D

First of all, i wouldn't bash Behringer all that much, imo they're almost as good as mackie's lower price stuff and waaaaaay cheaper, but i would also recommend the soundcraft over the behringer, it's just better plain and simple.
As for mics the Studio Project mics are really good for their price, if you go up a few bucks you can get the C3 too with a multipattern capsule, might not be something you need now but you never know when you wanna use a figure 8.

i don't know... that hm-1 sounds really good.... they have samples on their site and i really like the sound. it's so.... hmm.... solid...?

so, uhmm... what about those condensers on guitar amps? know any soundclips or something? perhaps if you know who uses them that way? i'm really intrigued...

thanks fredrik-ablaze, but i think i'm now leaning toward the soundcraft... it has some really useful features.