Going to Europe in two days!

Brooks

Eyes Wide Open
Nov 15, 2001
Bay Area, California
skloid.blogspot.com
I'm leaving on Wednesday morning for Brooks's 2007 European Summer adventure! Hopefully I'll be making it to the Waldrock festival, but Wacken wont be in the cards--honestly, no killer bands I'm all that interested in.

But if anyone's out there in the Western European outback that knows of some killer places to go in Ireland, England, Holland, Belgium, France (nothern and southern), Switzerland, and northern Italy, let me know! We're up for anything, and are backpacking and playing things by ear for a good chunk of the stay. There'll be pictures and drinks for all..... :kickass:

Oh, Northern Italy:

I traveled all over Italy, and one of my favorite places to visit, was all the area around Genoa City: all across on that "curvy" beach line.
I personaly love small *REAL* towns, with nothing but locals...
The city I stayed in is called: Recco, it was maybe 30 min outside of Genoa City. AMAZING bech, great mountains/ hills with little houses,
REAL RESTAURANTS and many cafes on the beach...
I loved those areas because it was tourist free!!!!
Everybody talked to us, and invited us to their houses, it was simply magical.

Oh, and Milan of course.... gotta go to Milan :)

Portofino is AWESOME TOO!

Holland: basically, almost every city there is wonderful.

If you'll go to the south on your way to Belgium, stop by Eindhoven
I really love this city, alot of bars where you can sit on the street and drink and huge metal population!

Or you can go to Limburg to visit Iris ;)

Belgium: I *loved* Brugge, and all the northern parts...
err, I type too much...

I'll let you discover it on your own.... make sure in belgium you drink Jupiter (very common beer) and eat Neuhaus Chocolate (it owns Leonidas!)

Well brooks sure didn't post 5 times with one person to break it. :D Yeah, you usually don't slap in several posts in a row like that. Nothing rude, jut lightly noting you perked up when you saw he was traveling that way.

I'm leaving on Wednesday morning for Brooks's 2007 European Summer adventure! Hopefully I'll be making it to the Waldrock festival, but Wacken wont be in the cards--honestly, no killer bands I'm all that interested in.

But if anyone's out there in the Western European outback that knows of some killer places to go in Ireland, England, Holland, Belgium, France (nothern and southern), Switzerland, and northern Italy, let me know! We're up for anything, and are backpacking and playing things by ear for a good chunk of the stay. There'll be pictures and drinks for all..... :kickass:

Awesome dude! I'm on the other side of northern Italy from Genoa, in the Friuli Venezia Giulia region in the northeast. We're next to Austria and Slovenia. Lots of mountains and beautiful scenery if you're into it. My drummer lives in Tarvisio, which is on the Austrian border, about an hour and a half from where I live...gorgeous ski village. Metal Camp is in Tolmin, Slovenia from 16 July to 22 July, and we'll be going to that all week since it's 7 days. Blind Guardian and Immortal are two of the bigger bands that I haven't seen yet, and it's quite close. If you're at MetalCamp or in the vicinity of where I am, let's go have a beer!

What are you going to look for in Holland?
More concerts, Dutch attraction/entertainment parcs, cool restaurants or resting/ chilling out between the festivals?

If you're going to visit the south of Holland:

Eindhoven has 'Dynamo', a venue that used to arrange the Dynamo Open Air festival and it's around the corner of 'Stratums End'.
"Stratums End' is the name of the street, i assume Karen is talking about.
It's indeed the place to be in Eindhoven.
In the centre of Eindhoven,nearby shops and you can reach all by foot.
Railwaystation is a 15 min walk away from 'Stratums End'.
Tilburg is also nearby the Belgian border.
It's a 20 minutes drive from Belgium and 30 minutes from Eindhoven.
It has 013, The GrassCompany, a reptile zoo and a bowlingcentre.

These can be found in and nearby 'Killburg'.
(with the bus, there are direct lines towards De Efteling, (25 min ride) and The Grasscompany is right across the railway station.)

The GrassCompany 'Weed while you eat' (Tilburg):
http://www.thegrasscompany.nl/index.asp?taal_id=2

De Efteling (Kaatsheuvel):
http://www.efteling.nl/home.aspx?LanguageId=2
Attractions are based upon legends and fairy tales.

De Oliemeulen (Tilburg) :
http://www.oliemeulen.nl/Paginas/Dieren%20INDEX.htm
Page is Dutch, i couldn't find an English version.
Click the animals to get an impression of what you might find there.
Not the kind of zoo with tormented elephants, rhino's or Gorilla's,
but with rather small and less frustrated animals like bats, snakes, frogs, spiders, alligators etc.
This fellah made worldnews, i don't know if they still have it though:
Dieren%20GeboortesSlang2koppen1.jpg

And if you're just looking for 'Chillburg':
you're welcome for a home made meal, at my place.

Have fun on your Eurotrip!
:kickass:

when are you in holland?

if you are here between 15 and 20 juli
you must go to nijmegen the summerfest(zomerfeesten) is here and its fucking awesome a whole city full of people from all over the world and music on every street corner

let me know if you are there on that date i'll show you around if you want 2

grtz

Yeah, Milano has a couple of museums and a castle, but other than that it's like any other big city. A few years ago it was like the metal capital of Italy, but now it's kinda gone downhill.

Dead_Lioness said:
Oh, Northern Italy:

I traveled all over Italy, and one of my favorite places to visit, was all the area around Genoa City: all across on that "curvy" beach line.
I personaly love small *REAL* towns, with nothing but locals...
The city I stayed in is called: Recco, it was maybe 30 min outside of Genoa City. AMAZING bech, great mountains/ hills with little houses,
REAL RESTAURANTS and many cafes on the beach...
I loved those areas because it was tourist free!!!!
Everybody talked to us, and invited us to their houses, it was simply magical.

Recco sounds great (especially since my last name is Rocco :loco:), and it's right across the border by Nice and Marseilles where we'll be spending some time feasting. It's going to be so easy to cancel plans and just disappear in small towns. I'm not gonna want to leave (and if I meet a nice French girl, I might not :saint:)

When are you going to be in Holland? T'would be cool to meet up!

What are you going to look for in Holland?
More concerts, Dutch attraction/entertainment parcs, cool restaurants or resting/ chilling out between the festivals?

If you're going to visit the south of Holland:

Eindhoven has 'Dynamo', a venue that used to arrange the Dynamo Open Air festival and it's around the corner of 'Stratums End'.
"Stratums End' is the name of the street, i assume Karen is talking about.
It's indeed the place to be in Eindhoven.
In the centre of Eindhoven,nearby shops and you can reach all by foot.
Railwaystation is a 15 min walk away from 'Stratums End'.
Tilburg is also nearby the Belgian border.
It's a 20 minutes drive from Belgium and 30 minutes from Eindhoven.
It has 013, The GrassCompany, a reptile zoo and a bowlingcentre.

These can be found in and nearby 'Killburg'.
(with the bus, there are direct lines towards De Efteling, (25 min ride) and The Grasscompany is right across the railway station.)

The GrassCompany 'Weed while you eat' (Tilburg):
http://www.thegrasscompany.nl/index.asp?taal_id=2

De Efteling (Kaatsheuvel):
http://www.efteling.nl/home.aspx?LanguageId=2
Attractions are based upon legends and fairy tales.

De Oliemeulen (Tilburg) :
http://www.oliemeulen.nl/Paginas/Dieren INDEX.htm
Page is Dutch, i couldn't find an English version.
Click the animals to get an impression of what you might find there.
Not the kind of zoo with tormented elephants, rhino's or Gorilla's,
but with rather small and less frustrated animals like bats, snakes, frogs, spiders, alligators etc.
This fellah made worldnews, i don't know if they still have it though:
Dieren%20GeboortesSlang2koppen1.jpg

And if you're just looking for 'Chillburg':
you're welcome for a home made meal, at my place.

Have fun on your Eurotrip!
:kickass:

Hey, thanks a lot! We'll be spending the last week or so in Amsterdam (July 12-18), rounding off the trip with my birthday on July 15, and the birthday of one of my co-travellers on the 17th. The Grass Company looks like a beautiful little coffee shop, not unlike some to be found over on Haight Street in my own SF. Our herbals are just a tick below legal.

We're gonna be playing a lot of this trip by ear--keeping all belongings in a handy backpack and traveling light. I'm excited and leaving in 18 hours!

If you'll go to the south on your way to Belgium, stop by Eindhoven
I really love this city, alot of bars where you can sit on the street and drink and huge metal population!

Metal population? now why would anyone want to hang out with those kinds of losers?