GOJIRA's JOSEPH DUPLANTIER Discusses Songwriting Process For Next Album

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
In a brand new interview with Performer.com, guitarist/vocalist Joseph Duplantier of French progressive metallers GOJIRA revealed that the band has begun writing material for its next album, tentatively due in 2014. Many of the creative sessions so far have taken place on the tour bus, a phenomenon that Joe admitted is rather new for them. "I actually hate it," he said. "I mean, I love it when there's an idea and it works and it sounds like there are things happening, but it's really weird to sit in the middle of all these shoes — because everybody throws their shoes in the back lounge, and dirty socks — and a computer, and [drummer/brother Mario Duplantier's drum] pad… "We're not a rock band anymore, you know? It's like being in a cage, a stinky cage with a computer. It's not the same. I need to be in a room with my friends and jam, so I cannot wait to get to that stage." He continued: "It's mostly riffs and ideas that we record. We have a list of riffs, but we don't have, really, a song. Well, we have two songs that [we think], Okay, there's a structure here and there are enough ideas to make something. Some of the stuff is really exciting, but the conditions are really difficult, and when the bus is driving…" GOJIRA's fifth album, "L'Enfant Sauvage", sold almost 11,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to debut at position No. 34 on The Billboard 200 chart. The band's previous CD, "The Way Of All Flesh", opened with 4,200 units back in 2008 to land at No. 138. "L'Enfant Sauvage" entered the official chart in France at position No. 7 (No. 17 on the digital chart). "L'Enfant Sauvage" (which translates to "The Wild Child") features 11 tracks of mind-bending, thunderous metal. The CD was recorded at Spin Recording Studios in Long Island City, New York with co-producer Josh Wilbur (LAMB OF GOD).

More...