Good bass head for heavy music ?

It doesn't really make sense to pay a lot of money for that SWR amp when you could get one that's just as good and twice as powerful for less. I'm using a stereo Stewart World 2.1 that puts out about as much power into each side at 4 ohms, and weighs less. It cost me around $350 used, so I guess the SWR is a good deal if you find one for under $200. Otherwise, it's way overpriced/under-powered compared to lots of amps out there that are just as "pro" or better.

Besides, once you're into serious solid state power amps they're all going to sound pretty much the same (for a given wattage and impedance), so the SWR logo doesn't really mean much. If anything, I would expect it to be less relilable than one of those old, bulletproof Crown or Crest amps. Check out the boards at talkbass.com, those dudes have owned and tested all kinds of power amps.

Our bassplayer plays an SWR but it's more technical death metal nowadays and he got the amp cheap as shit.
It's not overdriven at all or something like that, but for his style it's almost perfect, plays a Warwick Corvette $$ through it, plays with his fingers, some tapping and slapping involved.
Very clear sounding amp that cuts through nice, but completely different from Ampeg sound or "normal" overdriven metal bass.