Good drum plugin

updog

May 9, 2009
Finland
Hey people!

I've recently been recording my band for a six-track demo, and I've already recorded all drumtracks on midi with my Roland TD-6KV's. The problem is the sounds I used to record the midi with definitely aren't what I will want on the finished record, thus I require a good drum-softsynth.

For this project (and mostly anyway) I want a plugin that can cut it for metal. I've been looking at Addictive Drums, BFD2 and SD2.0 with Metal Foundry addon. Hope you guys have some opinions on these.

Here's some of mine; A friend of mine owns Addictive Drums, and it seemed okay. In a way it kind of seemed something that really tries to be an easy-to-use-ready-to-go plugin but it really looked like it needs some tweaking before it can be used properly. It seemed like the overheads had quite bit of compression by default, making the cymbals sound pretty bad. What seemed best about AD, the snares (at least the ones I've heard) sounded pretty good.

It seems BFD2 isn't really the choice for metal for some reason, judging by what people say. It's a shame, because it seems a good and versatile plugin otherwise. I understand there's an addon of some kind for a more suitable sound for metal, but somehow I wasn't overly impressed. I like how you can import your own sounds, but I'd rather not pay 250€ and end up with a plugin that doesn't have anything useful in itself.

Superior Drummer 2.0 seems to get the most praise, and I like the fact Tomas Haake is involved in the Metal Foundry addon. This would seemingly be the most obvious, although the most expensive, choice.
But as I listened to the sound clips on the site, I noticed that some of them had some terrible sounding snares. Like trash cans or something. They didn't sound like the samples had ANY dynamic range, just "fucking loud" or "not as fucking loud but pretty loud still". Took me back to the times when I first heard Drumkit from Hell ages ago. Also, the ride cymbals in the clips were kind of bad too. The clips with a whole band playing were better, and had good sounding snares. I wonder if this is just a matter of tweaking?

What I'd also like to know about the SD2.0 would be, do I REALLY need the Metal Foundry expansion to use it for metal?

Also please share if you have any other suggestions!

By the way, I've decided to use the sample "Brain Kick" I've found from this forum, on the demo. I hope that's what it was originally posted for. That sample fucking kicks my ass. Heaps of thanks to whoever originally recorded that sample!

Thanks for any help!

No one has likely responded because there are a zillion threads about VST Drum instruments. Almost everyone uses Superior 2.0 in some way shape or form/blended with Slate Samples.

From those options, S2.0 undoubtedly gets my vote - however, if you don't feel confident mixing drums, I would definitely look into Steven Slate Drums (he has a standalone package with a sampler), as I've heard some fucking seriously shitty sounds from S2.0 :lol: (but also some that destroy Steven Slate stuff in terms of realism; the point is that S2.0 requires a lot more work and knowledge to get it to sound good, but the ends justify the means IMO!) BFD2 I know little about (except that most metal people hate it :lol: ) and AD just sounds harsh and unpleasant to me!

Thanks for the reply.

I'm sorry, I only looked through the first few pages, I did notice the thread about SD2.0 presets but not much else on the subject. I'll keep looking for them.

Eh, getting S2.0 in the hopes that you'll be able to get by with presets doesn't seem like the best idea IMO, since most people do their processing by outputting each channel of S2.0 to its own individual track in their DAW, and doing the tweaking there! (thus the preset would be pretty useless)

From those options, S2.0 undoubtedly gets my vote - however, if you don't feel confident mixing drums, I would definitely look into Steven Slate Drums (he has a standalone package with a sampler), as I've heard some fucking seriously shitty sounds from S2.0 :lol: (but also some that destroy Steven Slate stuff in terms of realism; the point is that S2.0 requires a lot more work and knowledge to get it to sound good, but the ends justify the means IMO!) BFD2 I know little about (except that most metal people hate it :lol: ) and AD just sounds harsh and unpleasant to me!

Would you think one would do well with just Superior Drummer 2.0, without the Metal Foundry addon?

I'd personally rather take the risk and try to mix the drums like real ones, even if it'd take some time and I wouldn't do as well as I'd do with SS. I really would also want to learn how to mix drums.

Eh, getting S2.0 in the hopes that you'll be able to get by with presets doesn't seem like the best idea IMO, since most people do their processing by outputting each channel of S2.0 to its own individual track in their DAW, and doing the tweaking there! (thus the preset would be pretty useless)

Yeah, I just meant that's the only thread I immediately found about SD2.0 :)

I never really end up using presets in anything. They're never exactly how they should sound IMO.

Right, what Marcus is saying though is that people don't really do much INSIDE of S2.0's interface. So the presets for S2.0 are literally useless unless you know all of the plug-ins and settings for those that the people are using.

Yeah, I've heard tons of incredible sounding metal clips made with S2.0 (no Metal Foundry), just gotta make sure to replace that kick! :ill:

Thank you all, this is basically what I wanted to know.

Somehow I don't like the idea of having to buy an expansion so I like what I'm hearing. I basically don't feel like I even care how the kicks sound in whatever drum synth I'll buy, I like the kick samples I got from here so much :lol: especially the brain kick samples. I really own my thanks to the person who originally recorded those samples and kindly shared them for everyone to use.

By the looks of things so far, I'll probably end up purchasing Superior Drummer 2.0 like many others here.

i wasted a lot of money, tried ALL of them and learned one thing,
if you want a really good sound you have to combine!

superior 2 may be too complicated to use, check out youtube first to see how it works.

addictive drums is basically a nice piece of software.
in the beginning i liked it alot but the more i used it
the more i got annoyed by that typical AD sound.
TRY THE DEMO!

EZ drummer+DFH expansion is really easy to use and it sounds good.
combined with SSD it can sound really, really nice if tweaked right!

BFD is a piece of shit IMHO! FUCK FX-PANSION! (if you want to know more, PM me;))

SSD...kicks, sanres and toms sound awesome, the rest is weak IMHO,
compared to other drum software the cymbals sound very artificial and harsh.

i got the best results using EZ+DFH for cymbal stuff and SSD for kicks, snares, and toms.

a few weeks ago i got superior 2, hit factory and MF...fuck, so many possibilities, you'll really
have to take a really close look into this f you want to use it right and make it sound good.
i'm considering to get back to EZ+DFH, it's less complicated and as i said, if you tweak it right
and combine it with SSD it sounds killer!!!

best and cheapest solution:
EZ drummer+DFH+SSD LE

very good sounding, but also expensive solution:
superior2+ SSD LE

best sounding and most expensive solution:
superior2+MF+SSD LE

cheers
S.

Thanks for the reply, I'll keep that in mind.

I suppose EZ+DFH+SSD LE would cost just a bit more than S2.0 alone, so I'll have to think about it. I need to look around to hear some more of what S2.0 can sound at it's best and make my decision.

I'm checking some shit on youtube and so far I'm pretty impressed with S2.0. Of course, an all-rounder would also be the easiest and most intuitive to use.

you can also wait for the hopefully soon coming slate EX packs. they'll be about 99$ afaik!
if you start with EZ you can also upgrade to superior2 when you've got a few $ more to spend!:)

Hope they'll put clips up on the EX packs, so I'll hear how it sounds. I really don't know what to do at the moment.

Just a stupid question about S2.0 in case anyone knows; can you import your own samples to it? Their site didn't really feel like telling me.

Hope they'll put clips up on the EX packs, so I'll hear how it sounds. I really don't know what to do at the moment.

Just a stupid question about S2.0 in case anyone knows; can you import your own samples to it? Their site didn't really feel like telling me.

No but you can use something like apulSoft - apTrigga2.

you're talking about the X-pads right!?
unfortunately you can assign only toontrack related samples to them (samples from other toontrack EZX's and SDX's)

@SocialNumb
i've been asking this question in the apTrigga2 thread but nobody replied.
is it really possible to assign a drum plugin to the apTrigga2 outout!?
i tried the demo, could only load raw samples...

Right, thanks for the info. Hopefully I can find a good deal on that or a similar plugin if I'll choose S2.0.

i got the best results using EZ+DFH for cymbal stuff and SSD for kicks, snares, and toms

+1 to this

you get the simple interface and sweet/large cymbal library of EZD/DKFH, and the ridiculous awesome skins of SSD