Good Katatonia album to start with?

Sexy_Grandpa

Sexy_Grandpa
Jan 5, 2004
Tauranga, New Zealand
I have heard some great things about this band and would like to hear them. What do you think would be some good albums/songs to start with?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

"Tonight's Decision" or "Brave Murder Day" would both work well. Also "Discouraged Ones". Depends on if you want the new clean stuff or the old deathdoom-ish stuff. Or both.

If you want to download songs...
"The Northern Silence", "Gateways of Bereavement", "Funeral Wedding", "Brave", "Nowhere", "Deadhouse", "For My Demons", "Tonight's Music", "Evidence"

That should be one from each release and a good overall representation...

Annie said:
LFDGD could be a good start too, i think.. :rolleyes:
Last Fair Deal Gone Down is definitely the best Katatonia album to start out with if you're looking to sample their newer vocal sound. I used to think that Tonight's Decision was a good one, but..now that I think of it, Tonight's Decision didn't have very many outstanding songs on it... actually... Tonight's Decision's songs get old and redundant after a while (some get repetitive, too). -When I say that I'm referring to For My Demons, I Am Nothing, Right Into the Bliss (I don't think anybody can tell me that those guitar chords for that song don't get redundant after a good while), and Black Session (only good the first few times around).

so...Last Fair Deal Gone Down is a much better purchase choice.
I remember reading a review on a site somewhere for this album, and the reviewer seemed to think that Chrome and Teargas were the only songs that stood out on said album, and proclaimed that said album would be his last time to wait for Katatonia's "new sound" because apparently he seemed to think it hadn't arrived yet.... fuck him, eh?

i started out with Viva Emptiness actually... but i think last fair deal gone down would be the best one to start off with, but hey thats just me... im not into, what you like to call: the OLD "doom-metal:ish" stuff. ;\ to be honest ive heard katatonias early stuff, and thats just not for me...