Good metal tone to start with

ATCOBravo

New Metal Member
Apr 18, 2017
Morocco
Hey metal heads,
Am new in the forum and in metal equipment, bottom line am starting from zero .I have watched too much youtube video the past four months looking for a good metal tone amp suiting my budget of 450$ for the head, 200$ for pedals and 300$ for guitar. for pedals and guitar i dont have problem deciding which to buy, but when it comes to amps omg its overwhelming, too many amps too many choices out there. after a lot of researches i ended up with those 3 amps to start with until i can afford a kemper amp.those 3 amps are :

1)- boss katana head
2)- blackstar id60 tvp head
3)- randall rg1003h with boss ns2 and maxon od808 and a chorus effect for clean stuff.

Which of those 3 choices are you suggesting knowing that my objectiv is to have a metal tone to play some metallica, killswitch engage,...

I really need your help guys.
Thanks forward.

Last edited:
I am not the right guy to answer this question since I stopped playing through amps 8 years ago, but tell me this.... Are you going to be using this for gigging, solo playing, or recording?

hello,
thanks for reply , i forgot to mention that am gonma use it for bedroom playing with some backing tracks. and perhaps to jam with my brother at home, recording some covers.

I'm not sure if you'd be open to this, but I mostly play on my own, got rid of my amps and play with amp sims on by computer now through some good speakers. Lots of free shit out there. If you're jamming with your bro, would you consider looking at a rack or pedalboard?

pedal bord will it be enough ? i have hooked a boss ds1 with a power amp and it sounded a nightmare to me i got very disapinted .i dont wanna experience it again lol.if a rac, it has to fit my budget.

If you just going to play at home, skip hw amp. And if you want to save money for a kemper, why bother purchasing a real amp? Better to start saving for the kemper right now. Use free ampsims in the meantime.

Reactions: ATCOBravo
cause its gonna be a loong journey of saving , am not big fan of amp sim cause i will need a fast computer and an interface (which am gonna need anyway) . am confused man .

Do you really need a new pc? If it's very old, okey, otherwise you might just need upgrade the memory.? I know I wasn't too happy with ampsims either. But recordIng an amp in your home might not be the best solution. Neighbours complaining if you live in a flat and can't record when ever you feel like doing it and it's impossible to crank the amp high enough.. If you live in your own house then it's fine. Just weigh the pros and cons what's the best solution for you. A maxxon however you can use it with kemperprofiles without overdrive. I still use my modded Maxxon OD-9 with kemper.

thanks for the reply ,yeah correct , btw which kemper would you suggest for my situation , a powered or non powered ? a green screamer is always usefull to have no matterwhat .

I have a boss katana head, and kicks ass, both for home rehearsals and to play with a full band
Waw man , i have a request if its possible , can you share with us how does it sound playing some metallica stuff . I couldnt find a proper video doing just high gain stuff with that head and how does it sound in a room.

Like you said, you just going to use it at home so a non powered. Cheaper too.
your approach is quiet good , does the tone stays the same while playing with headset or a basic monitors ? how do u use ur kemper in a conversation volume and mantain the thickness of the tone ?

I ask to much questions guys sorry for that please beare with me but , I really forgot to mention that i dont have the possibility to try any amp cause am living in a country where this stuff is not availible for test , either u take the plange and buy it ( u will be deceived or satisfied) or u stay wondering good or not good .
Am really counting on you guys , all i want is a thick tone.

Which part of Morocco are you in? Last time I was in Morocco I remember the houses did not seem to have a lot of insulation in the walls, which would make it harder not to disrupt your neighbors. Why don't you get a Line 6 Pod for now? Great price, a lot of different amps and cabinet options and can be plugged into a speaker system at any volume.

EDIT: And you can plug headphones directly into it

Which part of Morocco are you in? Last time I was in Morocco I remember the houses did not seem to have a lot of insulation in the walls, which would make it harder not to disrupt your neighbors. Why don't you get a Line 6 Pod for now? Great price, a lot of different amps and cabinet options and can be plugged into a speaker system at any volume.

EDIT: And you can plug headphones directly into it
Thanks for the answer in fact i live just me and my wife in a house am not worried about disturbing people , i had a bad experience with korg tonework g1 a total waste of space, if those options that i have suggested are not going to provide a thick tone i will have to buy a non powered kemper as many metal heads suggested. I dont wanna be disapointed again mate ^_^.

I have no experience with the Korg. I have a lot of experience with the POD. I no longer use the POD because I use VSTs now. I will let the rest of these guys tell you their experience with the POD.

I have no experience with the Korg. I have a lot of experience with the POD. I no longer use the POD because I use VSTs now. I will let the rest of these guys tell you their experience with the POD.
Thanks mate for your suggestion.