Gorefest - La Muerte

dill_the_devil

OneMetal.com Music Editor
Gorefest - La Muerte
Nuclear Blast - NB 1494-2 - 2005
By Philip Whitehouse

gorefest_lamuerte.jpg

Depending on who you ask, Gorefest were either:

a) One of the more innovative European death metal bands.
b) A pretty decent death metal band who fell foul of their prog influences on the album that signalled their initial break-up, Chapter 13
c) Who?

In case you're wondering, this reviewer fell firmly into camp C, which meant that the typically enthusiastic press material from Nuclear Blast claiming Gorefest's reunion to be an event on a somewhat approximate historical scale as the second coming of Christ left me feeling somewhat inadequate for not having heard them. After listening to the album, however, I don't feel so bad. It's not that Gorefest are a bad group at all, because they're not, by any stretch of the imagination. It's just that, when the world of metal is currently celebrating the reformation of Candlemass, Obituary and Emperor and has warmly received long-awaited new albums by Earth and Confessor, you can't help but feel that Gorefest's reunion is a little redundant.

Like I said though, this isn't a bad listen at all. For one thing, bassist/vocalist Jan-Chris de Koeijer sounds like a fucking giant on this album, his growling, pissed-off vocals dominating centre stage. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that he habitually eats babies. Just for the fun of it. The rest of the band put up an equally admirable performance too, Ed Warby bludgeoning performance behind the kit pumped up nicely by a crushing mix, while guitarists Boudewijn Bonebakker and Frank Harthoorn conjure up a nice surfeit of head-crushing riffs mixed with more melodic moments.

The problem is, none of it particularly sticks in the memory, even after several listens. Trust me, I know - I should have reviewed this about two weeks ago, but I kept forgetting I had it. It's alright while it's on, but the band generally find a groove and stick determinedly to it for four-to-five relentless but monotonous minutes, in pretty much every song. There are some killer solos to break up the tedium, each riff taken individually is pretty ace, and Jan-Chris really scares me, but these plus points aren't enough to make up for a pretty uninspiring album.

6.5/10

Gorefest's Official Website
Nuclear Blast Official Website