Gothic and darly romantic books

Hubster

Oct 29, 2003
Bondi Australia
I'm searching for some good tales of 17th century or so romanticly inspired tales.

Eg Patrick Suskind's "Perfume" - an AMAZING book if you've not read it, can be beautifully complemented by some Harpsichord concertos or your favourite Baroque CD!

So, any ideas people?

Hmm.....Dante's The Divine Comedy fits the bill to some extent, it was certainly romantically inspired. I find the Christian propaganda to get a bit tiring after a while though, and some of the shit that occurs is simply...wrong. However, I suppose this is the nature of the book.

And you know what else compliments books well? Some Romantic era music. :p

Just what I mentioned, so far. I don't have much knowledge of the era that the books I read came from (not the novels at least). I'm sure some others can supply more help than me. :)

The lesser known one aren't honestly that good. But then I'm thinking of the Romantic poets, who after being really enamored with them I grew a bit of distaste for them with the exception of Blake. Now all I mainly read are modern 20th century writers and the pre-revolution Russians. Maybe you should wrap yourself around some Blake. Look at his paintings. Listen to Bruce Dickinson's The Chemical Wedding

Maybe some Neil Gaiman? His Sandman comics are dark and classically inspired. I'm currently re-reading American Gods for the fourth time. Thats a good book

RookParliament said:
Listen to Bruce Dickinson's The Chemical Wedding

There is an alchemical narrative supposedly particular to Rosicrucianism that is of the same name. I have read it several times, and no matter the version, I can tell you that at the same that it is funny, it is also almost incomprehensible. It's all over the internet, and I think sacred-texts has an excellent version.

(after a quick search... http://www.sacred-texts.com/eso/chemical/chemical.htm there we have it.)

One would most certainly not listen to Kronos Quartet during such a read, though (just kidding), and I'm not sure if that text is consistent with the time period requested. It is a fascinating read, though.

And, if that recommendation happened to lure anyone's interests, here's another of that genre, complete with a psychoanalytically based interpretation and/or critique, that may be well worth the time.

http://www.aiwaz.net/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=2&page=2

A more recent edition of Silberer's treatment of the same work owns the different title: Hidden Symbolism of Alchemy and the Occult Arts, just in case anyone wants to own the book instead.

Although perhaps not dark, if you are interested in Romanticism check out Schiller, Hoffman, Heine, Novalis, Keats, Lord Byron, Wordsworth, Pushkin, Early Goethe.

Of all of these authors I'd stick to Hoffman and Pushkin personally.

Personally I dont like any of them except for the music; a little Wagner every now and again rouses the soul.