Grand Magus review

Well I replied to your review thread and it didn't show up so I'll just try here.

That sounds like my deal. I'll need to pick that up when I go on a stoner madness shopping spree.

NAD said:
Well I replied to your review thread and it didn't show up so I'll just try here.

That sounds like my deal. I'll need to pick that up when I go on a stoner madness shopping spree.
Me too. I'm sold, nice job Nate.

Speaking of stoner madness shopping sprees, remind me not to mix unemployment, many German beers, the internet and a credit card. o_O

I think I bought a lot of CDs last night.

BTW, this is my favorite part: "For fans of everything from St. Vitus and Cathedral to Led Zepplin and Deep Purple, Grand Magus will thoroughly delight you." Man, you couldn't have hit more hot buttons (with me) than that sentence, lol. But, for the love of god man! Please spell Led Zeppelin properly!

Oh for the love of goat, I need that too. That review had me at David Coverdale! And I can't be having all you lot talk about Grand Magus while I'm left here scratching my nuts.

npearce - I will e-mail you, but you should have my details already? I don't think I want to wait 1-2 months for a US release. I'm still waiting for the new Amorphis to come out. :erk:

This doesn't come out over here for a few months? SCORE! That will make it easier to not buy until April! :D

I'll be perfectly content scratching my nuts, as it were.

Oh fuck me, this is just brilliant stuff. Seriously brilliant.

npearce - your review is spot on. Regarding the vocals, there is a hint of David Coverdale (noticeable immediatley in the first song at the line, "I'm cursed and I'm damned forever...") mixed with some Chris Cornell, all sung to Ozzy melody lines.

Another thing worth noting is the guitarist's vibrato. It is exceptional - like a combination of Tony Iommi and Angus Young, and you can tell those strings carry some slack.

EDIT: Notice how "Ulvaskall (Vargr)" sounds like the Bullring Brummies' version of "The Wizard", especially in comparison to Halford's lower register vocals?

This is what metal's all about, period. Everyone should love Grand Magus.

This is the band of current Spiritual Beggars singer JB, isn't it? If for nothing else, it's gotta be worth it just to hear more of his incredible vocals. Personally he reminds me a little of Joe Cocker on On Fire..

I have to say, while I do in fact really enjoy the album, it's not a whole lot different than other high-quality stoner/retro/heavy rock bands' releases of the past few years. And the vocalist sounds very, very much like Monster Magnet's dude.

listening to it now. Good stuff. not exactly wandering into new territory, but they do their thing quite well.

The debut is also quite tasty.

What a great, great, heavy album. Some of those riffs are just gut wrenching. I think this was one of the finest releases of last year.

So this lead singer also sings for Spiritual Beggers? Can anyone confirm? I like his voice a lot, I wouldn't mind hearing a bit more.

JayKeeley said:
So this lead singer also sings for Spiritual Beggers? Can anyone confirm? I like his voice a lot, I wouldn't mind hearing a bit more.
yes, JB sang on the last one (On Fire) and will be on the new one also.

the man has a hell of a voice

Monument is a fantastic album too, one of my favorites........

Grand Magus RULE, but Spiritual Beggars RULE EVERYTHING. JayKeelay if you want to start with Spiritual Beggars you must buy "Ad Astra" (imo - one of the top 3 00s albums until now) and then "Mantra III" and after them - "On Fire". Their best albums are without JB, (the old bass player Spice sings in them). Buy "Ad Astra" now.

I would give Spiritual Beggars - On Fire my highest recommendation to anyone who likes the singer's other work. Tall Tales is still one of my most played songs ever. The lyrics just speak to me, is all I can say man..

I need to hear SPiritual Beggars then. I'm listening to the GM debut, and fuck me if this isn't just some straight up kick ass music. No gimmicks, no bullshit, just fucking RAWK!

*adds Spiritual Beggers to my wanted list*

Grand Magus are a band hard to dislike. I don't see how anyone could listen to those riffs and vocals and not get a turned on in the gay way. Throw in the whole viking thing, and you'll want to rape & pillage (not in the gay way).