circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Grand Magus – Wolf’s Return
Candlelight Records – CDL201 – June 14th, 2005
By Jason Jordan

grandmagus.jpg

Boxers or briefs? Coke or Pepsi? Grand Magus or Spiritual Beggars? Life’s most significant choices have a way of creeping up on us when we least expect it. But, after listening to Wolf’s Return more times than I can remember, choosing Grand Magus out of anything that has a retro-rock twist is perhaps the easiest decision I’ve ever had to make.

The opening number, “Kingslayer,” has received the most publicity, and rightfully so. The former is tantalizing in nearly every way, though the chaser “Nine” is memorable but noticeably weaker. Once the instrumentation of “Wolf’s Return” begins, Grand Magus subject us to inescapable bliss. Seriously, try not getting into “Wolf’s Return,” and then shoot me an email telling me how you failed. Interestingly enough, the song titles in Swedish all serve as interludes; there are three of those. However, shifting from opus to opus isn’t seamless, but it does prove to be smooth. Any way ya slice it, Wolf’s Return – even at its most stubborn – is an inviting, well done piece of doom-tinged metal. I can’t say whether this record is a worthy follow-up to their previous releases, nor do I care that much.

Grand Magus have an excellent showing in Wolf’s Return. There’s some Manowar influence traipsing about in the background, at times, and I sincerely reveled in quite a few of the group’s compositions. Without being too nefarious, though, there are obvious choices when weighing the best material from this album. At any rate, listening to Grand Magus while drinking a Coke and wearing boxers just has to be experienced. Do it now.

8/10

Official Grand Magus Website
Official Candlelight Records Website