2. Reborn
3. Awakening
4. Breeder
5. Trial By Fire
6. Out Of The Light
7. Inner Voice
8. Bloodfeast
9. Heretic

The opening eerie notes of "Last Journey," the first track from GRAVE's latest offering, Fiendish Regression, signify what is to come, a trip down death metal memory lane. Whereas their last album, Back From the Dead, was sorta just lackluster to these ears, I find this latest one, pardon the pun, to be what will bring them back from the dead. The title of their latest is much more self-fulfilled than their last, if anything.

With Tommy and Peter Tagtgren at the knobs, you know what to expect, that crunching Abyss production, and they don't fail to deliver here. Razor sharp guitar tone, loud drums (including kick drums) and a nice low end help GRAVE produce their best release since Into The Grave. One of my faves is "Breeder," with its machinelike precision and the blast parts are exceptional. And the old school sounding Swedish death metal lead just fucking rules! Apparently there will be two bonus tracks on the finished product as well, more reason to check it out.

I'm sure there are those with jaded ears who will say, blah, been there done that, there's a million bands doing it better, etc. etc. And to this they may or may not be correct, but within the microcosm of GRAVE's discography, Fiendish Regression is a trip down old school, Swedish death metal lane. That's just fine in my book.

Rating: 7/10

Papa Josh

Papa Josh said:
Summed my thoughts up rather quickly! :dopey:
If only they'd let you get away with being that brief. Sometimes there isn't a need to say much more. As usual, good review though.

Thank you for the kind words.

Yeah, it would be especially nice for the albums that are just really bad. I remember reading a review once of somebody, can't quite remember who, but the writer simply wrote "This blows." There was a letter from the label a month later printed in the mag where the rep was all upset because the writer didn't give specific enough reasons as to why the album blew.

:tickled: