\m/Misanthropic Hippy\m/
Nov 11, 2001
Ireland
Visit site
Graveworm - (N)Utopia
Nuclear Blast - NB1365 - 10/01/2005
By Patrick Walsh

Gravewormnutopia.jpg

If the melodic/symphonic black metal scene seems to have become over-saturated with Dimmu Borgir also-rans in recent times, perhaps it's more because of the limited nature of this sub-genre rather than the amount of groups that peddle it. Indeed, because such a miniscule amount of symphonic BM bands seem capable of weaving any kind of tabgible atmosphere above adding syrupy keyboard synths to hide their songwriting inadequacies, i've failed to hear a piece of work that can come within miles of Emperor's seminal Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk. An unfortunate situation, but one that is sadly true. Graveworm fail to bring anything new to the table on (N)Utopia, and this work encapsulates the flaws of the entire symphonic BM movement.

Which is not to say that (N)Utopia is without its merits. Opener 'I-The Machine' is a black metal stormer, speedy and vicious the way it should be. Whilst the whole thing is predictably produced to within an inch of its life a la Dimmu Borgir, the guitars at least pack enough punch to make a lasting impression. (N)Utopia will appeal to those who are not too fussed about things like atmosphere and nuances. Unfortunately, the arrival of the title track sets alarm bells ringing with its mid-paced gothic flavourings and attempts at catchy sensibilities. The rest of the album continues in this vein, rendering the opener the only track with any real balls. It soon becomes obvious that this is painfully typical Nuclear Blast 'black metal' style over substance affair. The keyboards are completely derivative for the most part, the drums are competent but never anything special and the vocals are effective but lacking in enough spite to give the songs a true air of darkness.

Graveworm, whilst having the ability to pen some nice riffs and the occasional decent keyboard flourish, drown (N)Utopia in an over-reliance on catchiness which works to the groups detriment. Very rarely is there any real atmosphere. I remain unconvinced by the Dimmu Borgir-isation of melodic black metal, especially when these bands seem completely incapable of writing a 'Loss and Curse of Reverence' or even an 'I am the Black Wizards'. A Shame really.

5.5/10

Graveworm's Official Website
Nuclear Blast's Official Website