GREAT WHITE Rhode Island Nightclub Fire video

Saladbar

Jose Saladbar
Feb 12, 2007
Elgin, IL
I saw this one Blabbermouth yesterday. This is the first time I've seen the whole footage, what a horrible tragedy. The whole time I just kept thinking of how many shows at shitty bars we all go to, I can't imagine something like this happening but it does and it's actually pretty scary.

Last edited by a moderator:
what were they thinking....with all that hairspray in that room then to light a fire? Sure it is a terrible thing. I read some horrifying things after it happened. This one guy was interviewed and said when the people who were stuck in the door on top of each other...as seen in the video...thier legs started to catch on fire and were slowly burning to death as they were trying to get pulled out. Plus people still stuck inside screaming but having no way out. It also sucks because imagine being known as one of the people who died watching Great White. While this is a terrible thing...I often wish it happening to certain bands. Call me sick...I am sure this will start a battle on here. But comeone....a band like ICP and thier fans. Would it really be a loss?

what were they thinking....with all that hairspray in that room then to light a fire?

Diabolik said:
It also sucks because imagine being known as one of the people who died watching Great White.

Diabolik said:
While this is a terrible thing...I often wish it happening to certain bands.

Diabolik said:
Call me sick...I am sure this will start a battle on here. But comeone....a band like ICP and thier fans. Would it really be a loss?

If I had mod rights, you'd be banned.

what were they thinking....with all that hairspray in that room then to light a fire? Sure it is a terrible thing. I read some horrifying things after it happened. This one guy was interviewed and said when the people who were stuck in the door on top of each other...as seen in the video...thier legs started to catch on fire and were slowly burning to death as they were trying to get pulled out. Plus people still stuck inside screaming but having no way out. It also sucks because imagine being known as one of the people who died watching Great White. While this is a terrible thing...I often wish it happening to certain bands. Call me sick...I am sure this will start a battle on here. But comeone....a band like ICP and thier fans. Would it really be a loss?
Didn't you just call someone on here a knuckle dragger a few days back .. seems that it takes one to know one I guess.

Britt

that was also a wierd month becuase the Chicago club that had that fire or pepper spray thing happened to right after. These incidents were also the cause of lots of smaller clubs getting busted for capacity. I remember seeing a few shows right after and the places were half full because the legal limit was hit. You never realized how over crowded these clubs would get to make extra money. House of Blues and Metro are both death traps. Ever try to get out of those places after a sold out show?

what kind of dumb asses though also light pyro's in a small club?
Dumb decision .. no doubt .. , and the club not having the proper kind of fire retardant ceiling in place. It's two horrible decisions that unfortunately cost 100 people their lives. There were like 460 in attendance for that show .. 100 didn't live to see another one. It's a pretty tragic deal.

Britt

Dumb decision .. no doubt .. , and the club not having the proper kind of fire retardant ceiling in place. It's two horrible decisions that unfortunately cost 100 people their lives. There were like 460 in attendance for that show .. 100 didn't live to see another one. It's a pretty tragic deal.

Britt

I blame the band. You dont need pyro at all when playing a small club.

You call that humor? It's just in very poor taste. I wouldn't wish that kind of a situation on anybody. I sure have been known to laugh at some jokes that are in very poor taste ... this unfortunately wasn't one of them. You can do better than that.

Britt

I laugh at everything. I even makes jokes about my mom dying. You ought to see me on Mothers day.

I had to stop watching this video when whoever was taping ran to the door, and I saw all those people stuck in there.....what a sad, horrible thing to happen to them.....it's not, nor was it ever, nor will it ever be "funny".
It's just sad....I can't believe that this video was circulated, let alone put on YouTube in the first place....*shakes head* :(

I agree, think of all the times we have all been cramped in a small club, where if something like this, or the Dimebag shooting incident, had occured.

We would all be doomed!

I remember going to Riley's the weekend following this incident. I went to see Kataklysm / Dying Fetus.
Anyhow, they limited the number of people inside the club as a result of the Great White incident, only allowing maybe 200 (or less) in. We were denied entry as it was deemed SOLD OUT.

Many clubs do indeed pack it in to the limit.

Riley's was notorious for doing this.
I think of many shows I went there where if there was a fire, that would have been it!

Riley's was notorious for doing this.
I think of many shows I went there where if there was a fire, that would have been it!

Riley's was a death trap for an incident like this. The entry door was the size of a regular door.
I remember shows where it was impossible to get a beer or go to the bathroom, let alone get out in time if a fire broke out.