Greatest Hits

Bucko

Apr 15, 2001
Canberra
Visit site
Just wondering would AC/DC be the only ( one I can think of ) band that has not issued an offical Greatest Hits package. I know that bands usually release these as a way of getting out of contracts with record companies , or the label bleeds a final relaese from them ............just wondering .......any thoughts guys ??????????????:confused:

I guess it depends on your definition of "band". Do you mean well known bands? Because there are heaps of bands without best hits packages, like Jet and The Hives and bands like that. And Dungeon. For that matter does Iced Earth have one?

Ploggy...........good point I guess I mean know bands.............at least 5 Albums under there belts ...........thre are probably plenty out there .............I am a big Sabbath fan and fuk they have heaps , but i think that goes back to the 70's when the got screwed by management and publishing rights..............

I can't see AC/DC or Metallica ever releasing greatest hits collections. As you've said Bucko, usually they are ways for former labels to cash in on bands that have been released, or split up, to fulfil contractual obligations, and AC/DC and Metallica have pretty much complete control over their entire catalogues. Bands like Sabbath, Purple and Uriah Heep still don't have much say over what happens to their early work, which is why so many "best ofs" from them have turned up over the years.

Yup .............Thats true on all accounts , just goes to show how good AC/DC , Metallica and the like at the business end of stuff. Funny this topic just came to me on the bus on the way home from work .............its pretty bad for those bands Sabbath, Purple & the Heap but thats life I suspose. In a way i'd like to think that AC/DC won't be compromised , but you never know with Metallica ..........

I read an interview with Ozzy I think once and he said something along the lines of "We were just kids, we didn't know or care about the business end of things. We must have been wasted for six years straight between 1971 and 1977 and we managed to get fucked up quite easily."

is the Guns N Roses greatest hits official?

The band were trying to stop it from getting released cos they didn't get to choose the songs or whatever, so it always confused me whether it was official or not.

But god damn can they still sell all these many years later, as proven with the Greatest Hits and Velvet Revolver.

I was gonna say Dream Theater but then decided not to cos I figured Bucko was talking about huge, popular-for-25-years type bands. DT do have three live albums already though, with another around the corner. :)