Groovy Pop/Rock/Punk - Real Drums, real amps..

Hyvältähän se kuulostaa. :)

The guitars are perfect for this genre. I would lower the bass a few dB's. Not too much... and maybe raise the vocals just a tad.. like 1db? I would "secretly" add an autotune on those vocals though. It will make the mix and especially the chorus a lot better. I'm not talking about T-PAIN autotune. Just a slight one. There are a few long notes that it will take care of. :)

Guitars could maybe be a little bigger. I think the mix is really solid though.

I was first thinking about the same, but I don't want the mix to sound too heavy.
Thanks for your opinion.

Hyvältähän se kuulostaa. :)

The guitars are perfect for this genre. I would lower the bass a few dB's. Not too much... and maybe raise the vocals just a tad.. like 1db? I would "secretly" add an autotune on those vocals though. It will make the mix and especially the chorus a lot better. I'm not talking about T-PAIN autotune. Just a slight one. There are a few long notes that it will take care of. :)

Kiitoksia! :)

I have to try and lower the bass. I was actually thinking if I have enough bass :D But low end seems to be always the biggest issue in my mixes. I'll try the vocal tuning too. Thank you!

After listening some more, I'd say the guitars work well in the mix. It just seemed to me after the first listen that some ambience or slight reverb on the verse guitar part might sound good. I was listening to Arlandria by the Foo Fighters right before your mix, and that might have been what made me think of it. Any info on the drums?

After listening some more, I'd say the guitars work well in the mix. It just seemed to me after the first listen that some ambience or slight reverb on the verse guitar part might sound good. I was listening to Arlandria by the Foo Fighters right before your mix, and that might have been what made me think of it. Any info on the drums?

Good idea using the reverb! Gotta try that, thanks. I'm not sure what brand the drums were but here is a list of mics used:

Kick: DIY Subkick + Beta52
Snare top: SM57
Snare Bot: SM57
Tom 1: MD 421
Tom 2: MD 421
Hihat: SM7b
Ride SM57
Overheads: Rode NT5 pair
Room mono: SM57 (Compressed with 1167 plugin, all buttons mode)
Room1: 2x T-Bone RB500 using the 'blumlein technique'
Room2: 2x Rode NT1

Nice! What kind of blend do you have going on with the different room mics in the mix? Is the mono SM57 very high in the mix?

Solid, clean mix for sure! Drums sound perfect for this type of band. My only nitpick is the chorus guitars sound a little 'hard' for lack of a better word in the upper mid range. Otherwise this sounds pretty stellar!

Nice! What kind of blend do you have going on with the different room mics in the mix? Is the mono SM57 very high in the mix?

T-Bones were quite close to the set and brought this really nice 3d'ish feel to the drum kit. NT1 room mics were further away from the kit. I just adjusted the volume of each room mic pairs so it brings some body but not very high volume wise so they won't dominate the drum mix.

SM57 is not very high in the mix, but when I mute it you can clearly hear that something s missing.

Solid, clean mix for sure! Drums sound perfect for this type of band. My only nitpick is the chorus guitars sound a little 'hard' for lack of a better word in the upper mid range. Otherwise this sounds pretty stellar!

Thanks for your comments!

Wow, this is actually pretty cool. Guitar tones sound really good, actually possibly the best sounding tone I've heard from a Rockerverb/Orange 4x12 cab setup. Really enjoy the mid range character.
Actually found it quite refreshing to hear those imperfections in the vocal performance too.
Overall mix is just quite fitting for this style of pop punk/alternative rock although admittedly not quite as full and thick in the lower mids and bass as some other alt rock mixes.

Never really been a fan of pure pop punk, but I enjoy this style of alt/pop punk. Band seems pretty talented and it's nice to hear something that isn't over produced to crap, yet still has some good level of 'polish' to it.

Wow, this is actually pretty cool. Guitar tones sound really good, actually possibly the best sounding tone I've heard from a Rockerverb/Orange 4x12 cab setup. Really enjoy the mid range character.
Actually found it quite refreshing to hear those imperfections in the vocal performance too.
Overall mix is just quite fitting for this style of pop punk/alternative rock although admittedly not quite as full and thick in the lower mids and bass as some other alt rock mixes.

Never really been a fan of pure pop punk, but I enjoy this style of alt/pop punk. Band seems pretty talented and it's nice to hear something that isn't over produced to crap, yet still has some good level of 'polish' to it.

Thanks for the feedback! Really appreciate it. I'm pretty happy how this turned out. For the final version I actually tuned some of the vocal parts but not everything. The band was really good actually. The drums are one single take. Not many punch ins with guitars or bass. No edits or anything. Thanks!

very gatsby's american dream-ish.... digging it. i love the mix stylistically. the only crit i have is the vocals seem too dominate the mix. personally, i'd bring them down like 2 or 2.5 db relative to e/thing else, just my 2 cents. phenomenal job though.

very gatsby's american dream-ish.... digging it. i love the mix stylistically. the only crit i have is the vocals seem too dominate the mix. personally, i'd bring them down like 2 or 2.5 db relative to e/thing else, just my 2 cents. phenomenal job though.

Thanks for the comment.

Just decided to make a new mix for fun and my goal was not to use ANY drum samples. Also changed couple of other things too. The Best mix I've done without using any drum samples for sure. Any opinions please?

Thanks!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18689045/Miksaukset/Recipe_Master_NoDrumSamples.mp3