Gtr efx: rack / pedals?

-Noodles-

3 Initals Mixer
Dec 20, 2007
Hey guys,

I've recently got back into playing guitar - and I'm feeing like getting some new pedals.. rather than relying on my mac to all get my verbs and delays.

Minimum; delays (tap function) & decent reverbs
Would be cool: harmonizer, flanger, chorus etc
Would be awesome: if they were good enough to incorporate into my outboard

I've been looking at things like G-Major2, V-Amp, DD-20, Line6 DL4 etc.
So both racked and floor based..

Are there any other units you can can recommend??

What amp are you using it with? You could get a nice studio rack effects unit and control it with a midi footswitch. If your amp has midi capabilites or you are using a midi set-up already it would obviously be a bonus

Marshall TSL100H.

I remember that it uses 6-pin midi, and that causes a serious problem when dealing with normal amp / effects switchers? I could be wrong.

Currently - I'm running a GTR - NS2 - SD1 - amp only.
(hopefully you can see why I thought I'd add some effects..)

Hadn't heard of the Line6!

Looks great - but I could buy the G-Major two, which is rackmounted for the same money. Will investigate further.

Thanks guys!
Any more suggestions?

Hadn't heard of the Line6!

Looks great - but I could buy the G-Major two, which is rackmounted for the same money. Will investigate further.

Thanks guys!
Any more suggestions?

Keep in mind that as a player, rack effects are going to be a pain in the ass unless you've got a foot controller you can use. If you're not going to need to control it while you play it doesn't really matter.

No problem with getting a midi controller..
I really like rack mounted gear - so it would be a fair trade off to spend more on a controller!

Maybe you should just be a baller and go with the TC Electronic G System then...

G System

It'll be more expensive but you'll never have to worry about guitar effects again. And it rack mounts OR pedal-mounts (check out the link and you'll see what I mean).

I've tried many of the effects racks and in the end I found the G-Major 2 to be the best. It has some features others don't like switching relays for changing the channels on your amplifier which is really important for me. The G-System can do the same thing, but I already had the MIDI foot controller so I decided not to get it. But if you want something other than the G-Major or G-System then you will need a MIDI channel switcher to work with your effects unit, something like the Axess CFX4.

I would like channel switching, but I doubt I'll really ever need to take it out of the house since I'm not in a band at the moment - and not looking to be!

Thanks to all who've suggested things so far - seems there's only a few worth choosing between.

I´d go with a pedalboard. I had a fx-rack some time and it was bulky and a pain in the arse IMHO. If you go for several single pedals, I highly recommend a pedaltrain.