Guitar EQing.

bensoncore1997

New Metal Member
Mar 22, 2012
Okay, I am very, very new to this forum and from what I've seen it's a place to ask questions about Joey's tone and other production methods (Sorry if I'm wrong and seem like a massive noob). A couple of months ago I purchased Pod Farm 2 with the UX1 and Metal shop. I understand that the basis of Joey's tone lies with the Cali Diamonds Plate. I also understand that his eqing methods play a massive role in his tone. For the last couple of days I have been eqing non-stop and haven't gotten the results I've been looking for. I wrote this in hopes of any tips and help on eqing like what frequencies to cut or boost by how many dbs to achieve his tone. Also, if anyone could help with the terms high-pass and low-pass. I think I have the gist but I'm just making sure (Again, sorry if I seem nooby). Thanks homies! :D

Hi and welcome.

Bascially:
Hi Pass Filter (HPF) - determines how much high frequencies pass through.
Lo Pass Filter (LPF) - determines how much low frequencies pass through.

Generally, guitars don't have any necessary information below 100hz. So you'll want to put a HPF on your guitar track around 90hz-110hz. This will vary depending on the guitar tuning, tone, and other things.
Guitars also don't have a lot of necessary high frequency info beyond 10kh. So you'll want to put a LPF that same guitar track around 9k-12k. This too, will vary depending on different things.

As far as surgical EQ goes, just suck out some 200hz-250hz by around 6dbs for the body of the snare to come through and you should be super close to what you're after. Always record with new strings when you can.

Am I correct in assuming you know what "the joey patch" is?

Thanks man. :)

So if I were to HPF something then it's different to eqing? If so, then what filtering programs are there that you would recommend? I use Cubase LE4. Also, if I were HPF something would I be boosting the highs or just filtering out or getting rid of lower frequencies and leaving the higher frequencies untouched. I've only recently been experimenting with eqing.

Thanks man, actually helps a lot. :)

That's correct. :D

Yeah just use Cubase's Equalization feature.
Enable the top button and where it says 'hi-shelf' click on it and change it to Low Pass. Then set it between 9k and 12k depending on where you want it (I keep mine at 8k)
Then do the same to the bottom button where it says "lo-shelf' for default and change it to Hi Pass.

and dont get in a habit of sticking to those hp lp guidelines, the trick to making bass blend in is finding the chemistry between guitar and bass, so if you high pass at 100 you may have too much low end on your guitars, ive gone as far as high passing up to 180 before and the bass worked great with the guitars