Guitar Equiment

Hylian

Nov 22, 2001
Berlin
Hey, I wanted to ask if anyone could sugest me some decent guitar equipment.

So far, I've been using a damn awful guitar amp. I'm buying a decent Marshall Amp and Preamp (sugestions on models would be welcome - also, does anyone know the url for Marshall's website?), but I have no idea about what Effect Processor to get.

I'm looking for rack stuff, with decent quality. I'm going to be recording soon, so I don't really want an effect pedal from Zoom.

Anyway, some people have sugested me to get some effect processor from Roland/BOSS, but I've also had sugestions for some Line6 equipment. What would any of you sugest me to get (and why - what are the pros/cons of that equipment).

About my type of sound. Well, you can say that I listen to nearly anything in the Metal genre. My favorite band is without any doubt Children Of Bodom (specially the first 2 cds). But I'm also a huge fan of other bands, from Black Metal to Melodic Metal Bands, such as Stratovarius, Sonata Arctica or Nightwish.

I want something that gives me a lot of freedom. I want to have an agressive, yet melodic sound.

Thanks in Advance!

I've no real experience with rack effects but I do know that there is no better combination in the world than a mesa boogie head with a marshall cabinet. Although mesa boogie tends to be expensive. Check it out though

If you want some really good advice.,.,.them dont trust other peoples opinions on equipment.,.,.u should go out in the "scene".,.,lol.,.,.and get some hands on experience.,.,.i dont know how many times i've been persuaded to by the "big muff" and alot of bullshit pedals.,.,.,i bought a digi tech Xp 100 or 200,.,.,i forget (cuz i broke it to little pieces after it shorted out) it had a good sound to it.,.,.but it took away from the quality of my sound from my other pedals.,.,.effects really annoy me.,.,.:( i never have the right tone with them, and the pedals seem to be competing with each other for sound quality.,.,.,i guess mesa/boogie heads are good.,.,.i've never played on one.,.,but dont think they are "gold".,.,cuz they might let ya down.,.,

If you want a GREAT distorsion pedal with a heavy, brutal and crunchy metal sound, i suggest the BOSS Metal Zone MT-2 pedal!

Damn Straight!.,.,.,.metal zone shreds very good.,.,.,but i can only use it for lead.,.,cuz on my half stack its crunch for rythm takes a major dive.,.,.its just sucky.,.,but on my old crate amp its the shiznit..,.,.any suggestions on how to not make it sucky on my new amp?.,.,.,.other than "get a new one".,.,.lol

Boss DS-2 turbo distortion pedal kicks ass - it's the one curt cobain used and has a real dirty sound.

I know you don't like zoom, but I've got a nice rack mount multi fx unit (studio 1210) - is great for reverb and chorus fx, I use it most for vocal stuff though.

If I had the cash I'd defiantely get a huge marshall stack with a big ass valve head.

For more advice on guitar equipment I recommend this site:

HARMONY CENTRAL

They've got discussion forums for guitars, equipment etc. and there's also a "user reviews" part containg reviews people sent for every piece of equipment you could imagine.

Check out the line 6 flextone amps

I messed around with one a while back, and if I didn't already have a killer mesa tremoverb (that I never use anyway), I'd probably buy one.

I pulled a great metal sound, similar to what I get out of my mesa, and it's also got some nice built in effects.

Personally I don't understand the appeal of Marshalls. I mean, why spend big bucks on an amp, then have to buy a distortion pedal to get it to sound the way you want? Think about it; you spend 2000 on an amp, and then get all your tone out of a 200 dollar pedal. Doesn't make sense, does it?

Personally I don't understand the appeal of Marshalls. I mean, why spend big bucks on an amp, then have to buy a distortion pedal to get it to sound the way you want? Think about it; you spend 2000 on an amp, and then get all your tone out of a 200 dollar pedal. Doesn't make sense, does it?

the big bucks?..,.,.didnt you just say that you have a mesa?.,.,.they are like the most expensive amps.,.,.which brings me to my next question.,.,how the mesa?.,.,lol.,.i've only heard good things about it.,..does it have good distortion to shred on?,..,

How's the mesa? It's absolutely fucking sensational!

Keep in mind that I'm talking Aussie dollars here too, not US or whatever. I'm not sure where you're from so that may be worth pointing out.

But yeah - the mesa has awesome sounds for metal. I always plugged straight into mine, with no pedals or anything like that. The bottom end and distortion is bowel shakingly heavy!

Here's a live (4 track) recording of my old band, with me playing through the mesa. I've done a bit of eqing and whatever, but it's still a pretty good indication of what the amp sounds like.

http://www.ampcast.com/LST-27922-mus-128-349089-1-1-0/Eyes_In_Darkness.m3u